View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Monday, Mar. 4, 2013 7:00-8:30pm

Rate this Entry
I took off the last 3 day weekend worth of swimming, and I really felt it in my swim tonight! My club team was at its Champs meet over the weekend where they ended up placing 3rd in the LSC. Very very nice improvement in the past year.

Between work, stuff, and getting my mother-in-law to Seattle for her flight out to El Salvador, and the return hell-trip over Snoqualmie Pass late Saturday night, including a motel stay an hour away from home...I was a busy and tired guy. Late late night driving and heavy snow in the mountain passes and a van full of family with no snow tires on didn't make the trip fun. It was a surprise snow storm, otherwise I would've put on my studded tires for the trip. Oh well, I live to write this blog...

Most of my group was gone tonight. I'm sure John told them to take the day off after the Champs meet.

Warmup:

600 (25 Free, 25 V-Sit Scull)
200 Free - I did a little extra while the others were finishing
(800/800)

12 x 100 SDK w/ short fins @ 1:25 (1:18-1:20s)
(1200/2000)

10 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:30 - started at 1:11s, then 1:10s thru #7. Last 3 1:08, 1:06, 1:04
(1000/3000)

Mostly just aerobic...
3 Rounds of:
  • 300 Free @ 5:00 (went ~3:35s)
  • 200 Free @ 3:00 (went ~2:20s)
  • 100 Free @ 1:15 (went ~1:05s)
  • 50 Free @ 1:00

200 EZ

-----------------------------
5150 Yards

At this point I got out. I'm dead tired...not from the swim, but from my work schedule. I'm on 10 hour shifts this week, but on Monday's the 2 mechanics (me and another) come in extra early to do the weekly calibrations on the sizer equipment and stuff...in addition to dealing with the "Monday issues". Because both of us are there early, they make it "fair", and both of us stay to the end as well, so rather than a 10 hour day, it was actually a 12 hour workday, starting at 3:30am, till 4:00pm when I left.
At least the rest of the week I'm only doing 10s, from 4:00am, till 2:30pm.

Off to bed I go...if my body will fall asleep now after the swimming...

Submit "Monday, Mar. 4, 2013 7:00-8:30pm" to Digg Submit "Monday, Mar. 4, 2013 7:00-8:30pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Mar. 4, 2013 7:00-8:30pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Mar. 4, 2013 7:00-8:30pm" to Google

Comments

And I thought my life was crazy! Keep a positive attitude, this too shall pass!
    Glad you made it safely on the drive ... I don't think anyone is envious of your work schedule. That's brutal, especially when you throw workouts with age groupers on top of that.
    Your workouts end at 9:00 p.m. and then you're starting work in the morning at 4:00? You're nuts! I hope you can get in a nap sometime between when you get out of work and when your workout starts. Do you find it difficult getting to sleep after your late workouts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    And I thought my life was crazy! Keep a positive attitude, this too shall pass!
    Everything is all good. My swimming is what keeps me (in)sane for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Glad you made it safely on the drive ... I don't think anyone is envious of your work schedule. That's brutal, especially when you throw workouts with age groupers on top of that.
    Thanks Patrick. My work schedule is what it is. I just try to work with it, without giving up swimming. I just need to win the lottery, or find something else to subsidise my addiction to chlorine AND pay the rent.
    My coach also wants to go over my "plan" as we build toward Indy Nats as well. We've detailed out the next 8 weeks, with my week away in the middle as well, and hopefully will keep me right on track for stardom.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Your workouts end at 9:00 p.m. and then you're starting work in the morning at 4:00? You're nuts! I hope you can get in a nap sometime between when you get out of work and when your workout starts. Do you find it difficult getting to sleep after your late workouts?
    CRAZY to the Nth degree! Yesterday was just nuts though...not my typical day. I do end up getting an afternoon nap most of the days, or at least sit and watch my kids at their swim lessons 2 of the days a week as well.
    After workouts, yes, it's tough to get to sleep. I'm all wired from the workout. It wouldn't matter if I was playing soccer, doing weights, or swimming. No one can just drop into sleep after working their body like that. I use my hour afterward to wind down and BLOG. But yeah, that alarm clock is really really early with these 10 hour days. I sure do wish for 8 hours again soon, hopefully next week!