3 x (15 x 50 w/fins) done as:
5 x 50 burst + cruise @ 1:15
1 x 50 EZ
5 x 25 @ 100 pace w/agility paddles + 25 EZ @ 1:15
1 x 50 EZ
1 x 50 AFAP
2 x 50 EZ

R1 = breast (50 = 31)
R2 = dolphin kick and fly (50 = 25 high)
R3 = backstroke kick and free (50 = backstroke kick on surface, 27)
EZ = all backstroke kick on surface so my face was out of the hot water

5 x 50 smooth DPS backstroke w/agility paddles
50 EZ

Total: 3600 meters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Metro DC beyond is ridiculous. Once again predictions of a major winter storm (8-10 inches) and preemptive closing of schools. What we got was two inches of slushy snow, clear roads and some rain. I called the rec center in the am to make sure it was open and planned to stay open. According to the front desk, it was all systems go. I arrived at 12:30 -- closed. Having grown up in MN, I can't help but think this crying wolf and shutdowns at a mere hint of snow is absurd. I think I got maybe one snow day a year with real snow growing up. I had planned a different workout, but had to revise when my only recourse was the hot, shallow, hyper cholorinated gym pool. At least I got something worthwhile in. I'm hoping to get in a lactate tolerance set tomorrow.

I am very much in love with my small agility paddles. I haven't detected any shoulder strain from them. I tried using them for fly for the first time and it didn't feel too weird.

Submit "Crying Wolf, Wed., March 6" to Digg Submit "Crying Wolf, Wed., March 6" to del.icio.us Submit "Crying Wolf, Wed., March 6" to StumbleUpon Submit "Crying Wolf, Wed., March 6" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

It is good news that the small agility paddles are a good fit for you as they provide you even more training options. About the cry wolf snow effect, it was the same here in SWF when the last hurricane came by but stayed 100 miles offshore in the Gulf. School, businesses closed, etc.
    These -- http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/41333.htm?

I agree with you re: snow days, but bring a different perspective. Folks from Wisconsin are a pretty hearty and adaptable lot when it comes to snow (of course, I'm sure there's some inter-state rivalry whereby Minnesotans think they are even tougher). When my wife (then girlfriend) and I went to grad school in Madison, she moved there from Edmonton. While this Virginia-Texas boy was impressed with what Madisonians drove through in terms of snow, she scoffed at how tentative and wimpy they were compared to Albertans. When we moved to Evanston after getting married, we then brought that "Wisconsin snow macho" with us and looked down upon the wimpy Chicagoans.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb

I agree with you re: snow days, but bring a different perspective. Folks from Wisconsin are a pretty hearty and adaptable lot when it comes to snow (of course, I'm sure there's some inter-state rivalry whereby Minnesotans think they are even tougher). When my wife (then girlfriend) and I went to grad school in Madison, she moved there from Edmonton. While this Virginia-Texas boy was impressed with what Madisonians drove through in terms of snow, she scoffed at how tentative and wimpy they were compared to Albertans. When we moved to Evanston after getting married, we then brought that "Wisconsin snow macho" with us and looked down upon the wimpy Chicagoans.
    Yes those. I had the medium size ones, which was all Finis sold for awhile. Then Frank pointed me to a website selling the small ones. These are a much better size and I really can focus on the catch.

Having grown up in MN, college in NH and law school in Chicago, I can't tolerate metro DC nonsense. Though I am not fond of cold weather anymore at all and wish I was moving someplace warmer!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    It is good news that the small agility paddles are a good fit for you as they provide you even more training options. About the cry wolf snow effect, it was the same here in SWF when the last hurricane came by but stayed 100 miles offshore in the Gulf. School, businesses closed, etc.
    I've been using them for everything! I especially love then for sculling. More equipment addiction ensuing ...

A hurricane is slightly more threatening than a winter storm though! The tiniest sprinkle of snow and there is a two hour school delay here.
    I remember Obama's first winter in office. Schools were closed for a snow storm and the comment from his girls was, "In Chicago we went out for recess on days like this." Having grown up in NW IL, I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    I remember Obama's first winter in office. Schools were closed for a snow storm and the comment from his girls was, "In Chicago we went out for recess on days like this." Having grown up in NW IL, I agree.
    Exactly! I recall long hikes to the busstop in here would be considered blizzard conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb

So now what happened? I've heard if it's below 90 degrees you're wearing a turtleneck sweater and starting up the heater in the house.
    Ah, Wisconsin! My kids hadn't had a "snow day" in a couple of winters until this last week... then, two snow days in seven days. They were so excited. Of course, we had to shovel a lot to earn those snow days. Honestly, I want warmth. Get me back to Austin!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    Ah, Wisconsin! My kids hadn't had a "snow day" in a couple of winters until this last week... then, two snow days in seven days. They were so excited. Of course, we had to shovel a lot to earn those snow days. Honestly, I want warmth. Get me back to Austin!
    I have no recollection of snow days in my youth, though I suppose I had a couple during a particularly terrible blizzard.

I hope your kids helped you with the shoveling. On the rare occasions that we have to shovel here, I always beg off bc of shoulders.
    I have Speedo small paddles that I use mostly for breaststroke, sometimes for backstroke, and a little for free. I'll have to ask Paul about the small agility paddles.

We had all kinds of snow days growing up. I grew up in NE PA, near the Poconos, and just about every year we had at least 2-3 snow days, usually more. I think in 1977 we got a crazy winter storm in mid-Oct where we were stuck home for about 2 weeks. In high school, the school would sometimes be open, but I had to take a bus, so sometimes came in late/left early.
    When I was younger, we'd just go out sledding, even during snowstorms.
    I think Paul likes the small Hans paddles with holes. I like the contouring better on the Finis agity paddles though.