View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Wednesday 03062013

Rate this Entry
Wed AM masters workout at Mesa--Paul's group

300 w/u

4 rounds:
* 100 build @ 1:40
* 2 x 50 non-free @ 1:00, 2nd faster (I did breast/back/breast/back)

5 x 200 @ 3:15
* 1-3-5 smooth
* 2 & 4 FAST, rest 10 sec every 50 (which basically made it a 2:45 interval)

4 x 25 kick @ :30

5 x 100 @ 1:40
* 1-3-5 smooth
* 2 & 4 FAST, rest 10 sec every 25 (again, adjusted interval 1:10)

10 x 50 @ :45

10 x 50 @ :40, w/fins + paddles

200 w/d

TTL: 4100 yards

some people heard that first part of the set and thought it was too much rest and went with the 1:30 group. I know better... you never know what may come next, so I figured I'd take advantage of the extra rest.

when he gave the next set, the gal in the next lane must have thought that we'd adjust the interval to get :30 sec more rest and was commenting how easy the set was. but once we started on it, and we kept the interval, she changed her tune
the 3:15 wasn't horrible; I still got about 10 sec rest or so.
on the 100s, I was worried that I wouldn't even make the interval, but I managed with about 5 sec (plus the 10 between each 50)

I did all of the kicking with board and fins. after we finished the last, Paul told us we could keep fins on. I debated trying the 50s just swimming, but figured I'd use the toys. made them all on 33-35.

after a busy day at work, going from my office to downtown to the Chandler site for Toastmasters, I decided to forgo the gym. the weather is so beautiful out, I wanted to take advantage of it and get outside.

Paseo trail 2.56 mi 00:22 08:33 pace

Thought I'd do a little after-work run with Holly (the dog). Got both of us all set, we went out, and started to run. But Holly didn't want to be there. She kept stopping...I gave it a couple of shots, but eventually I gave in and brought her home, we got in .65 mile together. Then I just went out and ran almost 2 miles solo. It felt pretty good, great weather, a little breeze.
Of course when I walked in the house after the solo run, Holly was all running around and jumped on me. there's no way to know what she's thinking...but I wasn't going to run that far just pulling her along.

Submit "Wednesday 03062013" to Digg Submit "Wednesday 03062013" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday 03062013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday 03062013" to Google

Tags: team swim
Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

My dog, Beckett, has a ton of energy but is a terrible running partner (not that I really run, but I've tried to). He'll head off on a mad dash, then get distracted, then decide to take a nice rest before starting the cycle over.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    My dog, Beckett, has a ton of energy but is a terrible running partner (not that I really run, but I've tried to). He'll head off on a mad dash, then get distracted, then decide to take a nice rest before starting the cycle over.
    Ha! Maybe Holly has just become a couch potato. I've run some long distances with her...back when I was doing marathon training, she kept me company quite a bit. Her longest run was about 11 miles. But that was at least 2 years ago. If you look way back in my blog, you'll see all of the running she did, sometimes 20 miles/week.
    Since I traded running for cycling last year, I haven't taken Holly running too much. And maybe she prefers that.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Ha! Maybe Holly has just become a couch potato. I've run some long distances with her...back when I was doing marathon training, she kept me company quite a bit. Her longest run was about 11 miles. But that was at least 2 years ago. If you look way back in my blog, you'll see all of the running she did, sometimes 20 miles/week.
    Since I traded running for cycling last year, I haven't taken Holly running too much. And maybe she prefers that.
    Beckett has had some weird health issues (heartworm treatment, unexplained seizures that haven't shown up for the last few years and I fervently hope are gone for good, and a lot of allergies) so maybe that's part of it. But he likes to run around the yard like a lunatic for a minute or so and then take a long rest. He must be a sprinter!