View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Reverse taper, Wisconsin-style: pain and snow-blowing

Rate this Entry
by , March 6th, 2013 at 11:12 PM (335 Views)
After tenderizing myself in the lactic acid marinade on Sunday I woke up with a lot of soreness behind my left shoulder and in my lats on that side... I was guessing DOMS b/c I hadn't felt that much soreness on Sunday night, but then again I really only had the pain there on my left side. Why wouldn't I be sore on the other side? Maybe this is a little tendinitis from all the backstroke flaring up after the 200 Back and IM PRs.

I'm thinking this might also be some strength imbalances that are working themselves out. Anyway, Monday I got in despite feeling very tight, even uncomfortable, on the left side. I thought a little EZ swimming might help loosen things up. Thinking I might do 1500-2000, I only did 1100. I only did 50 back and it hurt. Continue Advil, Ice and compression routine.

Yesterday we had another snow day. Winter storm Saturn. Saturn: the Roman version of the Greek god Kronos, who according to Hesiod--our earliest source, c. 700 BC--was born of Sky and Earth (Ouranos and Gaia). Kronos is perhaps an allegory for the passage of time (we take the English words chronicle, chronology, etc. from the Greek Kronos). He eventually supplants his father (chopping off his manly member with a jagged, flint sickle... where's the smilie for that?), as every son becomes a father and then a grandfather, obeying the inexorable march of generations.

Time. Turns out that's probably what I needed anyway for the shoulder. Bring on the snow, Saturn/Kronos, I'm cranking' up the snowblower and will let Mother Nature take care of the rest. I cleared about 5" off the driveway last night with the blower (nursing the shoulder like a baby the whole time), warmer temps and a little rain should take care of the rest of it later this week. And I skipped my swim yesterday, hanging out with my wife and kids at the house. More ice, more compression, more Advil.

Today, I did 3000 SCY/55 minutes; all freestyle. Felt a lot better, almost normal... tomorrow I'll re-introduce the strokes with kick sets, maybe some full-stroke breast and fly on Friday and then bring back the backstroke EZ this weekend. Today the focus was on threshold, since my focus for state meet is going to be 1650 (maybe the 400 IM... since that is still long enough to be primarily aerobic for me!). Here's what I did:

Warm-Up:
400 EZ on 7:30 (6:50)
4 x 100 free on 1:50 (1:26-1:27)
4 x 50 on 1:00 (:40-:42)

Main set:
3 x thru
500 at LT pace (1:35-1:39/100)*
100 (these were 1:55 recovery swims after ea 500)

Cool-down:
200 EZ free

*These 500s were 8:04, 8:03, 8:13 and felt pretty good, comfortable. I hope this means that my LT pace is actually getting faster, we'll see how I feel tomorrow. I'm switching over to active recovery too, which I like better... I like to keep it moving. I figure this will help with a long continuous swim like the 1650 and with OW, which I have to start thinking about now. So if my LT pace is still 1:35-1:40/100 then I spent a little more than 24 minutes at that pace today. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Sometime next week I probably need to do a test set to figure it out, but my SCM 1500 time from three months ago converts to about a 1:38/100 pace. I feel like I'm in a lot better shape than that now thanks to all the anaerobic work and cross-training with the other strokes. I might try a VO2max workout tomorrow with 1:30/100 as my VO2max pace (a 1:31/100 brings me in for a 25-minute 1650; that would be a substantial improvement, but I don't feel like it's out of reach).

Submit "Reverse taper, Wisconsin-style: pain and snow-blowing" to Digg Submit "Reverse taper, Wisconsin-style: pain and snow-blowing" to del.icio.us Submit "Reverse taper, Wisconsin-style: pain and snow-blowing" to StumbleUpon Submit "Reverse taper, Wisconsin-style: pain and snow-blowing" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments