View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sunday, April 19

Rate this Entry
Saturday:

As I expected, couldn't get to the pool. Wasn't feeling great anyway. Did some stretching and RC exercises.

Sunday:

Couldn't get to my team practice today. Older two kids were running/helping with a 5K and younger one is now sick. And Mr. Fort is at his law school reunion. Haven't done a start since Auburn. Oh well, lol.

Ventured to the Rec Center, which is usually mobbed on weekends. Had a lane to myself for awhile and then there was a massive influx of triathletes and noodlers. I'm happy to share a lane with triathletes, but I don't want to do their endless freestyle circle swimming. They actually seems surprised by that, as if regular pool swimming doesn't exist ... I ended up switching lanes and sharing a lane with another fellow prepping for Zones. Had noodler trouble as well. One woman was doing a frog kick (with weights on her ankles) that was wider than my body length. She repeatedly kicked me on my side of the lane line. I finally had to stop and explain why this was not acceptable.

With two illness and two more weeks of tapering, I'm sure the taper bitchies will really be in full swing ...

Warm up:

700 variety swim

Main sets:

16 x 25 backstroke shooters @ 1:00, no fins

50 EZ

8 x 50 backstroke @ 1:10
10 SDKs off the walls

50 EZ

8 x (25 easy speed fly + 25 easy)

50 EZ

6 x (25 AFAP free + 50 easy)

100 C/D

Total: 2600

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dynamic Stretching:

At Patrick and Q's suggestion, I did some dynamic rather than static stretching this am. Did straight leg march, scorpion, handwalks, side bends, trunk rotations, hamstring stretch, back/ab stretch on ball and leg swings. I have to admit, it didn't feel like I was doing much of anything. Read up on it a bit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sp...112pewarm.html

What I haven't taken the time to research is whether static stretching is still good to do after working out? That's when I typically, but not always, do it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zones:

Checked the psych sheet for Zones. Pretty competitive this year! I will have to get my ass in gear for a couple events or my Zone records will be erased. My former secret nemesis is swimming again this year.

I have a borrowed LZR that I might use for a swim or two. I think it's seen about 10 swims, so it could technically be "done." As for the stretching, I think it would just have stretched to my size. But I'll have to try it on. Found Chris' comment that Sue Walsh prefers the LZR interesting. I know Michelle Chow does too. In fact, from what I have gleaned from masters and USS swimmers, it seems the slimmer-sprinter types prefer the LZR. This would be consistent with my own view that the B70 "float" helps relatively more in distance events. But who knows for sure?

With respect to B70 use, Jim Clemmons tells me his suit now has 60+ swims. He's still swimming extemely fast in it too.

This was supposed to be a "maintenance" week. I was worried I wasn't doing much at all, but still got in 5 swims for almost 16,000 yards and one short weight session. The last couple workouts have been pretty light, I guess, owing to being sick.

Submit "Sunday, April 19" to Digg Submit "Sunday, April 19" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, April 19" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, April 19" to Google

Updated April 19th, 2009 at 07:29 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

"...stop and explain why this is unacceptable."
    ha ha - sounds so civilized!
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    "...stop and explain why this is unacceptable."
    ha ha - sounds so civilized!
    I have to confess, I was rather short with her. lol But I did restrain the urge to swear.

Seems perfectly obvious you shouldn't be kicking people or invading their lanes ... Yeesh!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I have to confess, I was rather short with her. lol But I did restrain the urge to swear.

Seems perfectly obvious you shouldn't be kicking people or invading their lanes ... Yeesh!
    As much as I may have issues with swimming with the team (I contributed to a thread in the forums about this), the nice thing is that things are generally civilized. When I do swim on my own a the gym, or heaven forbid, the city pool....it is like Thunderdome.

Hope you have a good, smooth taper. I'm a horrible taperer, and maybe that's one reason I just avoid meets. I may do an open water in a few weeks (sans taper).
    I too think some dynamic stretching is a little out there when it comes to actually accomplishing things.

I do believe in the philosophy that the muscle needs to be warmed up first, and that is really all I do before going through a typical static stretching routine.

Your post workout stretches would be fine in this case, unless you waited an unusually long time after getting out before stretching. I wouldn't get out, go home, eat, then stretch, without warming the muscle back up. I stretch at night, so a half dozen body weight squats before legs stretches, and some shrugs and arms swings before upper body.

Glad you are getting better.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I too think some dynamic stretching is a little out there when it comes to actually accomplishing things.

I do believe in the philosophy that the muscle needs to be warmed up first, and that is really all I do before going through a typical static stretching routine.

Your post workout stretches would be fine in this case, unless you waited an unusually long time after getting out before stretching. I wouldn't get out, go home, eat, then stretch, without warming the muscle back up. I stretch at night, so a half dozen body weight squats before legs stretches, and some shrugs and arms swings before upper body.

Glad you are getting better.
    Maybe it's not supposed to really accomplishment anything aside from loosening the body up a bit? That's a good idea though, to do dynamic, followed by static, stretching. Maybe the sequential combo works best. Sometimes at the gym I warm up by hopping on the bike for a few minutes.

I think I may be guilty of occasionally stretching at night without swinging all the body parts around sufficiently.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    As much as I may have issues with swimming with the team (I contributed to a thread in the forums about this), the nice thing is that things are generally civilized. When I do swim on my own a the gym, or heaven forbid, the city pool....it is like Thunderdome.

Hope you have a good, smooth taper. I'm a horrible taperer, and maybe that's one reason I just avoid meets. I may do an open water in a few weeks (sans taper).
    I know Hulk has the same problems with our county pools -- zoo like masses. I try to swim in the early afternoon before school is out. It is usually fairly calm then, and I often get a lane to myself.

I don't like tapering either. I'd just like not to be sick. Seems like I'm always a train wreck before Zones ... Another reason I tapered in February. You could definitely do some open water swims without worrying about tapering too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I think I may be guilty of occasionally stretching at night without swinging all the body parts around sufficiently.
    Probably not as bad as standing on the roadside in 20 degree weather doing quad stretches waiting for a race to start

As a previous gymnast, you are probably not going to feel like you are getting much benefit from the cool new dynamic stretches. They just are not going to push you to the point where you feel like you are getting a stretch.

This is probably an area you actually know a lot more than the rest of us, but are just being lazy and not thinking about it too deeply
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    This is probably an area you actually know a lot more than the rest of us, but are just being lazy and not thinking about it too deeply
    I can't remember a damn thing from my gymnast days.

I am really good at giving B70 advice though. For awhile, I was getting PMs on FB on a daily basis ... lol
    Oh my! A noodler that is a smacker sounds like a scary thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by elise526
    Oh my! A noodler that is a smacker sounds like a scary thing!
    Made me tempted to become a smacking finner!