Rate this Entry
Drylands:

RC/scap ex, 10 min
wrist curls, 40 x 3 x 12
explosive pullovers, 90 x 3 x 12
russian twists on incline bench w/25 lb weight, 25 x 3 x 25
overhead squats, 45-50-55 x 8
rear delt flys, 70 x 3 x 15
hanging leg raises, 15 -- my elbow didn't hurt during these, cut did after. i like these for strengthening the forearms as well as the abs, but they might be permanently off the agenda for me (like pullups & deadlifts)
explosive leg press, 195 x 3 x 15
cable twist w/yoga ball, 45 x 2 x 12 each side
power wheel roll outs, 2 x 15
power wheel pike ups, 15
long arm crunches, 3 x 50

-- The lower outside part of my left knee has been barking at me slightly, so I skipped plyos.

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

600 various
100 scull
6 x 25 shooters w/fins
50 EZ

Main Sets:

Did an aerobic set from Workout #4 on the HIT forum, using the fastest interval:

w/fins: (fast = 100 pace)
4 x 50 kick, burst + cruise @ 1:00
1 x 25 fast fly @ :30
1 x 25 fast back @ :30
1 x 25 fast breast dolphin @ :30
1 x 25 fast breast dolphin @ :30
1 x 25 fast free @ :30

100 EZ

8 x 50 free w/agility paddles @ 1:00
50 EZ

Total: 2500

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Decided to take yesterday off after 7 days in a row. Mr. Fort says he feels sorry for us sprinters having to rest. He takes 1-2 days off a year. I meant to only do a short EZ swim, but the pool was -- shockingly! -- uncrowded for a Saturday afternoon and I had my own lane. Did a quick aerobic set. I am in the abysmal aerobic condition. :-)

I think I'm going to go to Indy, but not with the highest of expectations. Teen Fort really wants to go and we may not have another chance to go together since she leaves for college (we don't know where) soon. I will have expectations in check as I'm sure my spring break will take another chunk out of my training.

The psych sheets for Albatross are up. I just glanced at them but saw a couple female NR holders had traveled here for the meet. I also saw that, ack, Teen Fort and I are seeded first and second in the 50 breast. I thought I'd be further down. Ah well, that will help her go fast.

FINA TT rankings for 2012 SCM are out: http://www.fina.org/H2O/index.php?op...per&Itemid=636. I was most happy to get #1 in 50 free -- a surprise! And I really love being faster than the #1 times in 50 back & 50 fly for the 45-49 age group. :-) Very proud of Jimby for grabbing the #1 spot in the 200 free.

Submit "Sat. Double, March 9" to Digg Submit "Sat. Double, March 9" to del.icio.us Submit "Sat. Double, March 9" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sat. Double, March 9" to Google

Updated March 9th, 2013 at 07:35 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I always told you the 50 free is where it's at
    Awesome about the FINA results. but more awesomer about Indy. I recall you having low expectations for recent meets and PR'ing in multiple events, so I'm not at all worried for you. In fact, I have high expectations for you!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    I always told you the 50 free is where it's at
    I've been doing more free in practice these days since my shoulder is better. I'm going to swim 50 free at SCY Nats for the first time as well. I was only .3 off the NR in Jan. in a crap pool. I've been trying to dolphin kick more on the start. Hey, I even made FINA TT in the 100 free and I hadn't swum it since 2006!

When are we going to see you banging out a fast 50 free?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Awesome about the FINA results. but more awesomer about Indy. I recall you having low expectations for recent meets and PR'ing in multiple events, so I'm not at all worried for you. In fact, I have high expectations for you!!!
    These were my best FINA TT results ever, made it in 8 events.

I'm only caving on Indy bc you guys are going and Teen Fort wants to go. I have 5 weeks after Albatross to train, but one of those is spring break in Barbados. Definitely not much prep IMO for the 100s.

I think its unrealistic to expect me to go any faster in the 50 back and 50 fly. The NRs from last year were very fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    When are we going to see you banging out a fast 50 free?
    Zones, maybe?
    Zones, maybe?
    That would be great! Haven't seen you in ages. Have you been swimming or doing other things like Pete?
    That would be great! Haven't seen you in ages. Have you been swimming or doing other things like Pete?
    No swimming since, I dunno, September? I actually had my first workout today and it was pretty fast. 50 AFAP in 23-24 or so, on an analog pace clock. Strength and endurance are there, I think, from lifting.
    No swimming since, I dunno, September? I actually had my first workout today and it was pretty fast. 50 AFAP in 23-24 or so, on an analog pace clock. Strength and endurance are there, I think, from lifting.
    You and Pete don't need to train to throw down fast 50s.

You're lifting for endurance, lots of reps?
    You and Pete don't need to train to throw down fast 50s.

You're lifting for endurance, lots of reps?
    Not a super high number of reps, and not specifically for endurance (what do I need to endure, after all?) but yeah.
    Very proud of Jimby for grabbing the #1 spot in the 200 free.
    Let your son know that Larry Krauser is now FINA 60, and just set the WR in the 200 SCM Free. And kicked my butt at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Let your son know that Larry Krauser is now FINA 60, and just set the WR in the 200 SCM Free. And kicked my butt at the same time.
    He'll be thrilled, I'm sure. Jim McConica is in that age group as well and just neglected to swim the 200 free.