View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Mia Hamm Rage, Sunday, March 10

Rate this Entry
This is almost too unbelievable to write. I got to the pool today and it was closed due to a kid throwing up in the pool. I was beyond furious. I sat down right there and wrote a long letter to the AD. This is 3 times in 10 days that I've been there. I hope I'm not the only person complaining. I had arrived when the lifeguard class was supposed to end (late afternoon), so I had no time to get to OakMarr for a workout before it closed. I called Mr. Fort to rant and he accused me of having a "Mia Hamm rage." Apparently, she was viciously competitive with a wicked temper.

I had no choice but to attempt a short workout at the gym pool. When I arrived, half the lanes were taken by kids. I had to share a lane with a kid who was swimming with dad timing. The problem was he didn't seem to understand the concept of splitting lanes. I asked him 3x to stay on his side. Once, I almost slammed into him head on doing free. I asked his dad to keep him on his side. The fourth time I just ran right over him. I am in the running for the Kid Hater Of The Year nomination.

I've been going to SpringHill all these years because I can usually get my own lane between 1-3 and it's deep. But I'm completely fed up. Tomorrow, I'm going to Mason and sign up for their Aquatic Center on a monthly basis. They're open from 12-2 for lap swimming. I hope it won't be too crowded; it hasn't been overly bad in the past when I've gone at that time. It will mean almost an hour of commuting and a more expensive pool, but I don't care anymore. I just can't take the kids and closures. I can try SpringHill after a weight workout or something. I feel like the guy from Network who shouts, "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore."

I hope this doesn't happen in Pittsburgh. The neighborhood high school is finishing a brand new pool (what a concept, a high school actually having a pool) and I was hoping to swim there. From what I can tell on the website, Trees Pool at U of Pitt isn't open to the public. Maybe Water Rat knows.

So, a very frustrating day and more lost training. At this point, I just don't care about my SCY times. I will be racing for fun. There's 6 1/2 weeks until Nationals. I can't go super hard for that long. On Allen Stark's advice, I'm going to take it EZ the next 5 days before Albatross and then settle in for the last 4 1/2 weeks of hard training, which will take me to April 17, a few days before Zones, to start tapering. Even if I have nothing much to taper from, I will still taper to at least have fresh legs and sharp 50s. The 100s will be what they will be. My only events for Zones will be 100 free and 100 fly and relays. I was going to cruise a 200 back, channeling chowmi, but I see it's right before 100 fly. No go.

Here's what I got in at the hot shallow gym pool bubbling over with kids:

600 various
4 x 50 scull w/agility paddles
4 x 50 torque drill w/agility paddles
50 EZ
10 x 25
odds = free @ 100 pace @ :30
evens = EZ @ :45
50 EZ
5 x (25 AFAP + 75 EZ)
-- 5 free, 2 evil
-- ran over kid
-- interval done around noodlers
4 x 50 scull w/agility paddles
100 EZ

Total: 2150 m

Submit "Mia Hamm Rage, Sunday, March 10" to Digg Submit "Mia Hamm Rage, Sunday, March 10" to del.icio.us Submit "Mia Hamm Rage, Sunday, March 10" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mia Hamm Rage, Sunday, March 10" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. Water Rat's Avatar
    That truly is too unbelievable to be true. I'm suspicious the lifeguards aren't somehow manufacturing these closures. Have you ever actually seen the "Baby Ruth" bar???? In all my time at the Sewickley Y, I've only once had the pool closed for a code brown. and believe me, there are TONS of kids that use that pool. And honestly, I've never understood why the entire pool has to be closed when this happens. It's not like their aren't millions of terrible germs and bacteria we introduce to the pool just by jumping in, using kickboards, etc.

    Trees is not open to the public and I know the masters practice times aren't great for you - early morning or 5:30 at night. They do have open swims for the Pitt community and to be honest, I've never once been asked for an ID so you may be able to fake it pretty easily. I heard the Mt Lebo HS pool would be nice but I don't know when it will be completed. In the summer, there's a nice outdoor LC pool in the Mt Lebo park behind the HS and I think they have lap swim all day. Upper St. Clair HS, near you, has a pool but it's akin to a Y pool. Lastly, I should introduce you to Matt Kinney, the CMU head coach. He's a great guy and I bet would let you swim during their rec swims. He and I also sometimes swim together when the pool is "closed". You could def join us. I've been trying to figure out how I could become you're new "Speedo" on Fridays. I work pretty far from you but I be we could find a convenient place in between.
  2. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Trees is not open to the public and I know the masters practice times aren't great for you - early morning or 5:30 at night. They do have open swims for the Pitt community and to be honest, I've never once been asked for an ID so you may be able to fake it pretty easily. I heard the Mt Lebo HS pool would be nice but I don't know when it will be completed. In the summer, there's a nice outdoor LC pool in the Mt Lebo park behind the HS and I think they have lap swim all day. Upper St. Clair HS, near you, has a pool but it's akin to a Y pool. Lastly, I should introduce you to Matt Kinney, the CMU head coach. He's a great guy and I bet would let you swim during their rec swims. He and I also sometimes swim together when the pool is "closed". You could def join us. I've been trying to figure out how I could become you're new "Speedo" on Fridays. I work pretty far from you but I be we could find a convenient place in between.
    This is not good news. If Upper St. Clairs sucks and I just read the Jewish Community Center pool is at most four feet deep, I literally won't be able to train like I have been. If an entire city doesn't have a pool deeper than 4 feet, that eliminates my ability to do any effective underwater work. Maybe this will be my cue to take a break from masters swimming ... I don't feel like training in sh*t pools 24/7.

    I thought there were masters practices at Pitt at noon?

    Looking at the Lebo renovation site, it appears they've just started on the masonry for the pool building. Just praying it's done by next fall.
  3. Water Rat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    This is not good news. If Upper St. Clairs sucks and I just read the Jewish Community Center pool is at most four feet deep, I literally won't be able to train like I have been. If an entire city doesn't have a pool deeper than 4 feet, that eliminates my ability to do any effective underwater work. Maybe this will be my cue to take a break from masters swimming ... I don't feel like training in sh*t pools 24/7.

    I thought there were masters practices at Pitt at noon?

    Looking at the Lebo renovation site, it appears they've just started on the masonry for the pool building. Just praying it's done by next fall.
    LOL. It's not quite that bad but it's close. The CMU pool is 7 feet at it's most shallow, and of course Pitt is plenty deep. We'll have to figure this out. I'll ask Jen today at practice if she has any ideas for you. Unfortunately, TPIT doesn't have any lunch practices. I'm not aware of any organized masters practices at lunchtime anywhere in the city.
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    LOL. It's not quite that bad but it's close. The CMU pool is 7 feet at it's most shallow, and of course Pitt is plenty deep. We'll have to figure this out. I'll ask Jen today at practice if she has any ideas for you. Unfortunately, TPIT doesn't have any lunch practices. I'm not aware of any organized masters practices at lunchtime anywhere in the city.
    If you join the Pitt masters team, do you have access to the facility at other times? I'm assuming CMU is closed to the public too?

    Im getting even more gloomy about the move. It seems like my only hope is that Mt Lebo gets done in the not so distant future.
  5. jim thornton's Avatar
    Leslie, it's not as catastrophic as you think. I suspect you are putting all of your moving anxieties into a single consolidation loan named "Pool Depth"--this allows you to focus all your nerves on a single item rather than having to handle the multiple diffuse causes of potential fear associated with a major life change. You can ALWAYS find a lane at the Sewy Y, and even though the shallow end is only 4', the deep end is reasonably deep for long enough that you can practice shooters in this direction without maiming yourself. It's not that bad! It will be okay! Lochte's pool at the U. Florida is incredibly shallow in the shallow end, and he turned out okay!

    If you must put all your fears into a single consolidation loan, may I suggest an alternative? Where am I going to stay and eat for free in the DC area once you have moved? Can you try to get some of your friends down there to, well, like me?

    Really like me!

    In summary: it's NOT all about you. It's all about me.
  6. The Fortress's Avatar
    I am getting agitated about the house sale and move and my ability to keep the house spotless with two uncooperative girls. I'm somewhat worried about doing any racing during this time ... Just praying the house sells quickly.

    I've crashed at Sewickley where it abruptly goes to four feet. That streep wall is almost dangerous at high speed. Ill be really bummed if all that's available are sh*tty Y pools at 85 degrees.
  7. The Fortress's Avatar
    And you may remember that I crashed on the bottom trying to do a backstroke start in the infamous Michael Phelps pool.
  8. Water Rat's Avatar
    Look, we will make this work. Pittsburgh is large enough for two FINA #1's. We will not let our shallow infrastructure come between you and future WRs!
    I'll ask about Pitt tonight and re: CMU, I'll ask Matt.

    Your house will sell and you will find depth in Pittsburgh!
  9. Sojerz's Avatar
    All of this shouldn't be happening at one time to one person. Moving alone is among the most stressful times in life - possibly trumped by raising teens, and you are attempting to do both - Yikes! A few positive thoughts:


    1. You will continue to be a world class swimmer in Pittsburgh - It's your talent, not the pool; Seems likely you'll find a good pool that will work with a little help from your friends out there.
    2. Houses with teenagers sell, and they aren't always spotless. To get cooperation, threaten them with indentured servitude as part of the house deal.
    3. A new journey and new possibilities - stressful and very exciting. It's starting a new chapter in your book.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Thanks Bill. I am feeling pretty stressed with only 12 days until we go away for spring break after which the house is immediately on the market. My messiest child is away at college at least once the house is listed. I'm not sure what I could do to Teen Fort, who is 18 and leaving for college shortly. My 12 year old is the most likely to cooperate. But because she is upset about moving, she may rebel.

    I'm hoping that the new Mt. Lebo pool will be very servicable. I don't need a world class pool to train in. But I find it dispiriting to try to train solo in hot shallow pools. They are absolutely uninspiring.
  11. jaadams1's Avatar
    I am in the running for the Kid Hater Of The Year nomination.
    You've got me vote!
  12. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    You've got me vote!
    Yes! After 20 years of parenting, I am practically allergic to toddlers/young kids! I only make exceptions for relatives (3 young nephews) and friends' kids.
  13. mcnair's Avatar
    My allergy is definitely to the teen-age variety now, with three in that age group... I feel your pain. The younger ones are just too innocent still... blame the parents for feeding them pizza and high fructose corn syrup before sending them off to lessons. I've seen the smoking gun in these "code brown" episodes a couple of times in our Y; usually pale little kid w/ dazed look on the face holding his stomach... parent, embarrassed, shuffling them into the locker room. Thanks for stopping' by folks!