View RSS Feed

Pete's swim blog

03.12.13 - The dangers of habits

Rate this Entry
by , March 12th, 2013 at 11:18 AM (491 Views)
I get up at 4:45 to head to the pool. I'm a morning person but that doesn't really mean I'm 100% awake at that time. I operate on auto-pilot until I get warmed up in the pool. So, I put my swim bag out the night before w/ clothes on it for the next day. I get up, change into my swim suit, shirt and shorts and head off to the pool. At the pool, I take off my shirt and shorts and I'm ready to swim. No need to go change. It's worked well for me for the last 4 years and I've never really had a problem until today. After the DST change, I've really been on auto-pilot in the mornings and that's a problem when one little thing goes wrong. This morning, I put my underwear on, put my shorts and shirt on and headed to the pool. When I got out to the pool deck, I took my shirt off and got my shorts down to my knees and... Yikes! That's not my swimsuit, it's my underwear. At least I remembered to put on underwear.

Swam w/ Dave, Dave and Dave. Pool temp was back to a reasonable 84 this morning.

SCY

650 Warm-up

6 x 100 Up/down kick - 1:40 (:10) Start w/ 50 kick/50 free
6 x 100 Up/down fly - 1:30 (:05)
100 Easy
Still going strong on the fly. Never went below 50 fly/50 free and did two 100 flys in the set.

4 rounds of:
* 50 Easy - 1:00
* 50 Hard - 1:00 (make :35)
* 100 Easy - 1:30 w/ pull buoy
* 100 Hard - 1:30 w/ pull buoy (make 1:10)
100 Easy
Made easy ones on 1:10 pace and hard ones on 1:05 pace.

200 Timed pull (2:03) Same as yesterday when the pool temp was 90. I should be faster.

4 rounds of:
* 50 Kick - 1:00 IM order by round
* 100 stroke - 1:30 IM order by round
* 100 free - 1:30

10 x 50 Kick w/ fins
* Odds - underwater sdk down/easy back alternate back/front
* Evens - alternate dolphin/flutter

12 x 25 - :30
* Odds no breath
* Evens easy free

200 Cool down

(5450 Total)

Submit "03.12.13 - The dangers of habits" to Digg Submit "03.12.13 - The dangers of habits" to del.icio.us Submit "03.12.13 - The dangers of habits" to StumbleUpon Submit "03.12.13 - The dangers of habits" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

It's funny how we tend to operate on auto pilot.
    I've seen people at the pool swimming in what looked like underwear to me before. Our coach is also the aquatics director at the facility and always has good stories in regards to the hottub and sauna.

Nice timed 200 pull!!
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Nice timed 200 pull!!
    Thanks! Some credit goes to my teammate Dave who did the first 100 @ about :55s (I was at about 1:00) and tried to hang on until the end. I knew he was tired and hurting at the end so I picked up the pace to see if I could reel him in. I was closing in but came up a couple seconds short . Maybe next time!
    Haha, that's too funny. Good you realized before you took your shorts all the way off and dove in the water

I also put on a brief before I leave home, and put a dragsuit in my bag. I take my shorts off on deck and put the drag suit on. I sometimes hope that I remembered to put a brief on too