View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

1650 pacing...

Rate this Entry
by , March 14th, 2013 at 06:37 PM (721 Views)
I'm coming out of today's workout with a lot of confidence in the improvements I've made to my distance pace... despite the fact that I haven't done a lot of distance this winter and I haven't been working on pacing for freestyle, because I've been learning the other strokes. Here's what I did today:

Warm-up (24 minutes):
200 EZ free
200 pull
200 BK w/ fins
200 FR w/ fins
200 Fly w/ fins
200 pull

Main (33:20):
20 x 100 on 1:40 (1:27-1:31)*

Drill work, cool-down (~30:00):
200 BR kick w/ board
200 BR full stroke**
200 Fly drills (150 w/ fins; 2:00 rest; 50 w/o fins, from push = :46)
200 BK--EZ, 3:46
200 Pull
200 FR, EZ

*I could barely feel the lactic acid building toward the end of this set; for the most part it was VERY comfortable... mostly 1:29s in the first half, 1:30-1:31 in the second half, my last two reps were 1:28 and 1:27. So I had gas in the tank. Is this (1:29-1:31) my new pace for the 1650? That's getting me close to 25:00! I'm really not sure what seed time to put down now. I thought about using my 1500m time from early December, but I've put in a lot of training since then and 26:53 seems really slow now (I wasn't very pleased with it at the time either).

**It was pretty quiet this afternoon at the Y, so the lifeguard was coaching me on the breast stroke kick after every 50, giving me some things to work on and drill for the next 50; same with the full-stroke breast work, where she had me focusing on the front end of the stroke. She also gave me a couple of adjustments for my fly... my 50 without fins was faster than any of my 50s last night. Awesome to have the feedback!

Submit "1650 pacing..." to Digg Submit "1650 pacing..." to del.icio.us Submit "1650 pacing..." to StumbleUpon Submit "1650 pacing..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Yes, if you can hold that pace on a set like that you should be able to hold it for a 1650 race. I think you've got a very good chance of breaking 25 minutes!
    I definitely think you have a shot at 25 minutes. Your 1650 should be faster than your 1500 (so long as your turns are fairly good) and it looks like you are a good bit stronger. I'd put 25 down and just go for it. I worried a lot about my first 1650 seed time being too fast and I ended up beating it by 15 seconds.
    OK, great! I'm definitely psyched about the 1650 now... I had no idea how much improvement I was making in freestyle distance while I was working on IM and middle distance for meets this winter. Thanks for the encouragement!
    I agree with the other comments. Sometimes forgetting about an event for a while has the affect of improving that event. After all your yardage is still high so your aerobic base is still good. The key is sticking to the pace but relaxing as best as you can, keeping your stroke long, and good turns. If you can do these you will surprise yourself!