View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

Workout 03/15/13:

Rate this Entry
Made the five hour trip to Rochester yesterday without incident and visited Roberts Wesleyan, running into a friend's son on campus. We ran a bit behind schedule so my thoughts of swimming at their pool didn't happen. We then drove made our way 90 minutes to the southwest and arrived at Houghton just before dinner. Fun thing last night was the use of the rock climbing wall here, my first time partaking in this activity. I was able to ascend the flat wall totally, and made it about 2/3 up the angled one. Really good workout for the arms and core!

Today I had some time to relax as the kids went to classes and in the afternoon played hoops for half an hour. Then my dip in the pool at the
George R. Wells Natatorium: Located in the Nielsen Physical Education Center, this six-lane 25-meter pool features three diving boards (one a three-meter board).
Three lanes roped off for laps, the other three for splashing about, in clear water that was a refreshingly cool 81, but no backstroke flags. I did:

200 Fr/200 Bk/200 IM drill
1 Noah's Ark with agility paddles
100 loosen

8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 laps, with 30 seconds Vertical Kick between each

100 loosen
Major calf cramp, which happens rarely and I attribute to not hydrating enough
300 more splashing around then out
(Solo/Houghton/2500 yds plus VK/50 min)
-----------------------------------

Felt good besides the cramp. I guess dealing with that is good training for open water.
Picked up that main set from the Muntones OW book and wrote something similar for the masters group back home, do figured I would do it myself.

Tomorrow after breakfast we head about two hours to Niagara Falls, then head a tad over six hours home. Considering I have been sleeping on the floor with no pillow these two nights away, I am very much looking forward to getting home Saturday night and crashing into my own bed.

Submit "Workout 03/15/13:" to Digg Submit "Workout 03/15/13:" to del.icio.us Submit "Workout 03/15/13:" to StumbleUpon Submit "Workout 03/15/13:" to Google

Comments

That calf cramp could be a residual from the rock-wall climbing too... I haven't done it in years, but I remember my hands and forearms, feet and calves really getting a workout as you're curling them to try to get hand- and foot-holds.
    You're most likely correct, Alex. Rock climbing was a much more difficult exercise than I had anticipated! Great fun, though.