View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Saturday team workout

Rate this Entry
This morning I went to floor/barre class (a ballet-centric core and legs workout). It was my first in quite a while, so I expect I’ll be sore for the next few days.

This afternoon TNYA had an all-women’s workout and social. Called “Ladies Who Swim and Lunch,” it brought together women from our polo, swim, and diving teams, plus any other women interested in swimming with TNYA, for an hour-long swim workout plus an outing to a nearby Greek restaurant afterwards. Ours is a big team—around 600 last I knew—and we have 18 swim workouts a week in 4 different pools spread over the city, plus polo and diving workouts in yet different facilities, so there are plenty of people I never see outside of competitions and social events. Plus women are a distinct minority on our team, so it was nice to get many of us together at this one very social workout—we had a very full pool. Here’s what my lane did:

500 warmup (100s, 100k, 100 stroke, 200 fr)

9 x 50 (3 FR / 3 BK / 3 FR) @ :45/:50/:45

4 x 100 FR @ 1:30
1 x 100 IM @ 1:40
Masters minute
3 x 100 FR @ 1:30
2 x 100 IM @ 1:40
Masters minute
2 x 200 FR @ 3:00
2 x 100 FR @ 1:25
1 x 100 IM @ 1:35
100 warmdown

I had a good diving session Thursday night. I learned one new dive—a front layout dive with a half twist. It’s not as consistent as my others, and needs more work. This makes 4 of the 6 dives on my first competition list that I have learned: front dive, back dive, front flip, and front dive with twist. I have 2 more to learn—inward dive, and back flip. Once I get those down I will have perhaps the easiest competition list possible, but it’s a start. And I acquired no new bruises this week—always a plus!

Submit "Saturday team workout" to Digg Submit "Saturday team workout" to del.icio.us Submit "Saturday team workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "Saturday team workout" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

My h.s. diving coach taught me how to do an inward dive. It was scary as hell the first few times. If you have good balance on the end of the board, you can probably do it. He told me to jump up/back and just shove my head down between my legs. The first few times were somewhat of an inverted cannonball of sorts, but more and more I got the hang of it and worked to shoot my legs to the sky. I'm sure I was probably 8 feet away from the board, but I was "inward". At least I didn't hit the board.
    Yeah, our coach has an instructional sequence he goes through to teach each dive--I've watched as some of the others have worked their way up to doing inwards, and each step looks doable. I know it will be scary at first though! I'm looking forward to learning.

One thing that was reassuring after last week was that we had a video of practice to look at, and when seen from the side I was plenty far from the board even on moves where I felt like I must be landing almost directly under it.