View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 16

Rate this Entry
Jimby, Teen Fort and I journeyed to MD for the annual Albatross SCM meet yesterday. This is my 7th year in a row competing in this meet, and I still love it. I swam better than expected on what is very short rest for me. I just lifted last Saturday.

50 back, 30.65

I debuted my new start and felt like I had a fantastic one --- the best part of the race. Had a solid turn and took 16-17 kicks on the second 25. I was told I was perilously close to the 15 m mark. But then my body completely shut down the last 10 meters and I staggered to the wall. It was a close race with the speedy Susan Williams who almost tracked me down at the finish. I surely would have been under my WR of 30.58 with a better last 10 meters. I was a little freaked out by the fade; that has never happened to me before in a 50 back. At first I thought it was just the lack of sprint conditioning from the prolonged Feb. malaise. But I also wonder if the lack of hypoxic training and double shooters played a role. I was UW the full 30 meters and maybe that took a toll. That's what Teen Fort thought. In any event, I was obviously very very pleased with the time.

50 breast, 37.5? DQ

I was not recovered for this event with only 30 minutes rest after the 50 back. But I had to give Teen Fort the pleasure of whooping her mommy. I did beat her to the 15 m mark on the start, which was all I was going for. :-) I had major glides at the turn and finish, probably should have short stroked them. I was DQ'd for a one handed touch on the turn. I thought I got my finger tips on the wall before pulling back my left arm to turn, but the official thought otherwise. No big deal. It was a very solid time for me with those glides, but I'll hopefully swim it again before the end of the year.

50 fly, 29.25, WR:

I had almost two hours of rest before my 50 fly, which I was very happy about. The final heat of the 50 fly was the fastest I've ever participated in with Erika Braun, Ruth Jones, Susan Williams and Margaret Conze. As Margaret said before the race, it was going to be "a scramble to the finish." We were all under :30. I had a great start. The race went technically well except that I took a breath at the flags with 2 strokes to go. I'm sure I didn't really need that breath, but maybe it helped me spot the wall. The only thing I did differently from the last time I swam this race (tapered 29.5 at this meet last year) was that I spent more time UW on the second 25 with an extra 3-4 kicks. Jim said the whole race looked strong, especially my second 25. My time didn't show up on the electronic timing board and, even thought the timers had me at 29.2, I didn't get excited About the WR until I saw the official time sheet. 41 year old Erika Braun also set a world record in my heat with a 28.1. She was on fire at this meet with a WR in the 50 free as well. Take home lesson for me: it's worth concentrating on more dolphin kicks off the turn on the 50 fly and 50 free.

50 free, NS

This was about 25 minutes after the 50 fly. I passed. No desire to do another race and was all tuckered out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was a super well run and fun meet as usual. Jimby swam very well despite being "gravely ill." (He actually really is a bit sick this time.) Teen Fort swam well. It was great to see all my PV buddies. I plan on going to Mason for a recovery swim later today.

Submit "Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 16" to Digg Submit "Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 16" to del.icio.us Submit "Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 16" to StumbleUpon Submit "Albatross SCM Meet Report, March 16" to Google

Updated March 17th, 2013 at 12:22 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Great job on that world record!
    What is your new start?
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Great job on that world record!
    Thanks. I was stoked! Could hardly sleep last night.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    What is your new start?
    As you can see from my profile avatar, I have always swept my arms to the side on the start. But lately I seem to be flat backing all my starts and unable to get a clean entry. Several people have commented to me about it. So I decided to switch to the start where your arms go straight back. This typically results in a much deeper start with the classic checkmark. So I've been working on that in practice. In timing 25s, it seems to be faster for me and take one less kick to get to the 15 m mark. I know it was faster in the race because Susan is usually pretty even with me on the start (she has excellent UWs) and I got her by half a body length.
    Congrats Fort! Great swims!
    Nice job! I honestly don't know if I could beat that 50 Fly time.
    Great racing Fort!
    Congrats on your swims! And very cool that you got to swim an event with your daughter!
    Thank you all very much!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job! I honestly don't know if I could beat that 50 Fly time.
    Us elderly folk can still sometimes bring it. :-)
    Well done! You survived being sick most of February and still had a very successful meet. This should be encouraging to you regarding the rest of the upcoming meets.
    friends and regular readers of Leslie's blog: please demand that she stop suppressing the video race of her and her daughter that I took. it is to the mother daughter dynamic what Oedipus's urologic revenge on his dad is to fathers and sons. Classic in the Greek sense!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    friends and regular readers of Leslie's blog: please demand that she stop suppressing the video race of her and her daughter that I took. it is to the mother daughter dynamic what Oedipus's urologic revenge on his dad is to fathers and sons. Classic in the Greek sense!
    I refuse to believe you can be silenced, Jim! Isn't it your calling, even your duty to the fourth estate, to get this video out there, regardless of consequences?
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Well done! You survived being sick most of February and still had a very successful meet. This should be encouraging to you regarding the rest of the upcoming meets.
    Still have my raw speed! I don't think 100s would have gone nearly as well. But it was cheering to get in three fast times.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I refuse to believe you can be silenced, Jim! Isn't it your calling, even your duty to the fourth estate, to get this video out there, regardless of consequences?
    Methinks there is some exaggeration in Jim's post. The vid is on Teen Fort's cell phone. She is apparently to lazy to figure out how to upload to youtube. If I get a spare minute -- and I'm spending literally every waking moment catering to a sick Jimby's needs -- I will try to do it myself.
    Great job on your swims. A world record after having weeks of setbacks is very exciting!
    Nice WR. Sorry I missed it.
    Great swims Leslie. So still on for Indy, right?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicine Woman
    Great job on your swims. A world record after having weeks of setbacks is very exciting!
    Thanks MW! It was very gratifying after the awful month of Feb.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast