View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Why do I do this to myself?

Rate this Entry
by , March 17th, 2013 at 08:12 PM (731 Views)
Today was supposed to be an easier day, a little lighter on the yardage and intensity after yesterday's stroke and sprint ladders. I told myself I'd see how I felt at 2000 after doing 1200 warm-up and then 800 in kick or drill on fly, bk, br. I felt like I could use some more kick work when I got to 2000, so I took it to 2600 and then did some more freestyle work for a cool-down to make it an even 3000. I was leaving when Scotty, who had bonked pretty hard in the middle of the backstroke ladder yesterday and didn't complete the workout, said he was going to do 400 IM off the blocks to make up for what he missed yesterday... hmmm, I thought, tempting! I couldn't resist. I ended up with 3800 on the day. Here's the whole workout:

1200 warm-up: fr/pull alt. by 200; on 24:00*
200 fly kick with fins
200 bk kick w/ fins
200 br w/ board
200 br
200 bk kick w/ fins
4 x 50 dolphins w/ fins
200 br (100 kick w/ board; 100 full-stroke)
4 x 50 free on 1:00
200 EZ (100 pull/100 fr)
---
400 IM off the blocks (7:15)**
200 IM off the blocks (3:19)***
200 cool-down (not nearly enough!)

*Normally I would finish this 1200 warm-up in a little over 20:00, today it was 22:00 and felt stiff.
**A lot slower than yesterday, but I'm also a lot stiffer and more tired today than I was yesterday.
***Why?! Because I could. My fly was horrible, but I darn near caught Scotty on the backstroke leg... had nothing for the breast, though, so I couldn't get close to the PR I set 14 days ago... and why was I thinking about PRs the day after a hard workout, at the end of what was supposed to be a recovery swim practice? It's some pavlovian response to competition I guess.

I really needed about 400-500 of recovery swimming after the IMs to cool down, but also had to get some work done this afternoon and I hadn't expected to put in the extra 20 minutes after I'd already "finished" my original workout. I have a feeling today's workout is going to hurt tomorrow... so taper will begin!

I'm going to sign-up for the State meet... we can do it on-line, so I had a couple of extra days. I'm just going to do the 400 IM (1st event on Sunday), 100 back, and 1650 (last event Sunday); I can only do the Sunday events, so it limits my choices. I like the endurance stuff so the 400 IM and 1650 seem like natural choices and my back stroke has improved a lot this winter... I'm going to be relaxed, but would really like to see if I can PR since the Madison meet was beginning of February... where I last did a 100 back in meet context. I originally planned to sign up for the 100 fly too, but I fear that's too much hard fly on a day when I'm also trying to PR in back and distance free.

Submit "Why do I do this to myself?" to Digg Submit "Why do I do this to myself?" to del.icio.us Submit "Why do I do this to myself?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Why do I do this to myself?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Look at you, Mr. 2012 All-Star: http://www.usms.org/comp/as/aslist.php?Year=2012
    You know... I'm almost embarrassed. There is no way I should be the M40-44 distance all-star with only 10 points, but apparently there was nobody else in my age group who did at least two postals and an OW national championship swim (who scored any points at least)... so I guess I'll take my all-star by default status. I will say this, though, I AM putting myself out there and swimming a lot of events for fitness and fun... so if no one else in my age group wants to get out there and have fun with me (as slow as I am) I'll keep racking up those age-group points and places.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair
    You know... I'm almost embarrassed. There is no way I should be the M40-44 distance all-star with only 10 points, but apparently there was nobody else in my age group who did at least two postals and an OW national championship swim (who scored any points at least)... so I guess I'll take my all-star by default status. I will say this, though, I AM putting myself out there and swimming a lot of events for fitness and fun... so if no one else in my age group wants to get out there and have fun with me (as slow as I am) I'll keep racking up those age-group points and places.
    Pfft, enough nay-saying. This is a dancing banana situation!

OK, I'll join in with a jail-break banana dance...

These guys have a temporary reprieve only... they're headed for my blender later! Have to keep fueling the machine.
    I noticed that status as well. Way to go, Alex!
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I noticed that status as well. Way to go, Alex!
    Thanks Mike!
    That's super! A big congrats to you!!