View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Rate this Entry
by , March 19th, 2013 at 06:32 PM (424 Views)
SCY@FGCU Aquatic Center
Diving Pool
Air temp 78, Water temp 83
Coudy, humidity at 74%

Warm Up
Dryland band stretches 10 min
200 FR DPS-6
400 FR as 4(50 kick/scull, 50 CU) w/snorkel
400 FR as 25 EZ DPS-6, 25 Fast Kick DPS-7

*Set 1*
20x50 FR on :50, *33-32(1-8), *32-31 (9-14), *31-30 (15-20), right into...
10x100 FR on 2:00, at/under 500 race pace
*1:05, 1:05, 1:05, 1:04, 1:04, 1:05, 1:04, 1:04, 1:03, 1:03
---400 BK as 4(50K/SDK-8, 50 Swim SDK-6/DPS-6)

*Set 2*
5x50 on 1:00, Strong
*29, 28, 28, 28, right into...
6x150 on 2:45, Best Average
*1:41, 1:40, 1:39, 1:39, 1:38, 1:36, right into...
4x50 on 1:00, Strong
*30, 30, 30, 29, right into...
5x200 on 3:30, Best Average
*2:12, 2:11, 2:09, 2:09, 2:08
---400 Fly as 4(25 DK/bk, 25 RA/LA, 50 SDK-6/DPS-6)

*Set 3*
16x FR on 1:00 w/fins
*27(1-3), 26(4-16)

Warm Down
800 IM as 8(25DR or K, 25 EZ DPS Swim)
Dryland band stretches 10 min

Comments:
Did not swim Sunday and Monday. Took everyone to the airport on Monday afternoon. Did Monday's workout today, set 2 was really hard to do, felt tired, awkward in the water and sore afterwards.

My parents had the worst travel experience ever! Due to storm at ATL, the flight was diverted to SAV (Savanah), as many other flights were also, so no gate - they were on the plane on the tarmac from 7:30pm to midnight! Arriving at ATL 1am, after staying the night somewhere, the morning flight to Charlotte was delayed so they missed the connection to Newark. Finally, they arrived in Newark today at 5pm! Next time I will not use Delta FF Miles, but rather just buy them a nonstop flight on United.

Tomorrow begins LCM, the pool was being set up while I was swimming in the diving pool.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FGCU-Pool-LCM.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	7315

Submit "Tuesday, March 19, 2013" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, March 19, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, March 19, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, March 19, 2013" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

  1. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Pool looks great. I swam LCM a few times on this trip and it was fun. Enjoy.
  2. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Pool looks great. I swam LCM a few times on this trip and it was fun. Enjoy.
    If they keep the pool as cool as they did last year it will a great training environment as the water clarity is almost always great. The adjustment to LCM will take some time and effort, but is still in my opinion a better swimming experience with less turns and more focus on stroke efficiency.
  3. ekw's Avatar
    Glad your parents finally got home. That sounds miserable.

    Did you see this story about FGCU? I thought it was kind of interesting since I'm at an emerging school as well and understand the impact national attention can have. USA is turning 50 this year, though, so we're old compared to them.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/19/s...pagewanted=all
  4. swimsuit addict's Avatar
    LC pools are such a beautiful sight! From the (lack of) bottom markings on that one (as far as I can see from the photo), looks like it's never set up any other way. I sometimes swim a meet in a pool like that in Connecticut--I remember it making for a veeerrrry long black line to follow without any indication one's progress. But then I'm used to having T's or criss-crossing black lines from pools with other set-up options.

    I flew into Savannah once, and remember what a tiny airport it was--I can't imagine it handling much overflow traffic from ATL.
  5. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    LC pools are such a beautiful sight! From the (lack of) bottom markings on that one (as far as I can see from the photo), looks like it's never set up any other way. I sometimes swim a meet in a pool like that in Connecticut--I remember it making for a veeerrrry long black line to follow without any indication one's progress. But then I'm used to having T's or criss-crossing black lines from pools with other set-up options.

    I flew into Savannah once, and remember what a tiny airport it was--I can't imagine it handling much overflow traffic from ATL.
    Yes, I would certainly agree! Pools as LCM are a lovely sight and wonderful to swim in. This pool is a Myrtha Pool with two motorized movable bulkheads that can be set up as LCM, 2X25 SCY courses, and as 1x25 SCM course with a 1x25 SCY course. It appears to my observation that the pool is 25 yards wide, but there a lane markings or block settings available. Not in the picture is a permanent covered set of bleachers on the right LCM side of the pool, then to the left (not in the photo) is the 25 SCY diving pool.

    To redirect so many flights to SAV, the ATL controllers must have been running out of airports, as Charlotte would have been a much better location within range.
  6. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Glad your parents finally got home. That sounds miserable.

    Did you see this story about FGCU? I thought it was kind of interesting since I'm at an emerging school as well and understand the impact national attention can have. USA is turning 50 this year, though, so we're old compared to them.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/19/s...pagewanted=all
    Thanks so much for the article referral, which was a very interesting and relevant read for me. I was not aware of the FGCU Men's Basketball Team success. At this point, FGCU has a women's swimming team in DIV I, and this year they have 6 six individual qualifiers and two relays going to the NCAA Div I Women's Swimming Championships. The men's swimming was cut due to title nine two years ago, and there is no water polo.

    While I would prefer that FGCU have a comprehensive competitive aquatics program for the students, the limited collegiate competitive program allows paying patrons of the facility membership like me more access to the pool. The word around the pool is that FGCU recreational staff are planning to register a masters swim team towards building a large scale adult fitness and training program administered under the direction of the FGCU head coach and assistants.