View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Wed, March 20, 2013 7:00-9:00pm Last Blog for dayzzzzzzz....

Rate this Entry
February Fitness Challenge Results just came out as I was typing the blog, so here they are:
http://www.barracudas.org/pool/febfi...ultBooklet.pdf

292 total people participated in the FFC this year. I was 1st in my age group for the 35-39 Males, with 125,750 yards swum. That yardage ranked me 18th among all men, and 30th among all men/women combined. All of the men who swam more than me were older as well. Likely they are all retired from real work, and have the ability to swim day and night as they please. I only swim 25 of the 28 days, and I had to go out of my way to get some of those days in. I don't know how people can manage to swim day after day after day without a rest day. Your body needs some time to rebuild itself.

=============================================

I took yesterday off from the pool to work on my truck. It was a simple job of changing the starter, but the complicated part was doing it outside on the gravel driveway, in the evening with no light but worklights, in the rain, with a tarp hung over the front of the truck off the garage to shield water away. The whole job was quick...maybe 15-20 minutes total time of actual mechanical stuff...maybe. It was the setup and teardown that took the time.

----------------------------------

I was sluggish today in the pool:
John split the group into the super taper group for Sectionals, and the 5 of us (ME here) not going to Sectionals.

Warmup:

800 Free
800 SDK w/ long fins - cruised about 1:15-1:20 pace/100
I finally purchased my own long fins!! Yippiee, and they're comfy too!
800 Free Pull
(2400/2400)

Main Set:

4 x 200 IM Fast @ 5:00 went 2:31/2:32/2:34/2:34
1:00 extra rest
4 x 200 Stroke (did back) @ 5:00 - went 2:35-2:38s
1:00 extra rest
4 x 200 Free @ 5:00 - went 2:20-2:22, last one tried and did a measley 2:15

100 EZ swim
(2500/4900)

4 x 100 Free @ 1:15 went 1:06/1:07/1:07/1:04 - just plain tired
1:00 rest
4 x 50 Free @ 1:15 went :27/:28/:28/:27 - legs sore, but managed
1:00 rest
4 x 25 Free @ 1:15 went fast
(700/5600)

200 EZ and out

---------------------------
5800 Yards

===========================================

This is my final official swim practice until after Easter weekend folks. I'm taking tomorrow off from the pool to get last things packed up for our family trip to El Salvador. It's where my wife is from, and we're going to visit the place she grew up, live life like she did, and worship the U.S. soil when we return.

It's not going to be luxary by any means folks. We'll be at my mother in law's house for most of the time there. The house is a small (VERY SMALL) two room house of sorts. Bathroom is outside in what we'll call and outhouse. Bathing...I'll figure that out later. Water will be all bottled store bought. I may actually drink a few cervezas for the first time in over 11 years as well. At least it won't make me sick like the local water would. Oh, and kiss the English language goodbye for a week as well! I'll be without internet too, but I'll be fine. It's gonna be hot. Low 90s for the high, but the low at night is low 70s. Not a lot of break period from the heat. Sleeping conditions...we're gonna be a big happy family.

My MIL lives in my house with me year round, but takes a month or two each year to return to her home in El Salvador. My wife just hasn't been back there since she left the country in 1999, and is now making the trip again. Her first time on a plane...should be interesting. :littleJamesdevilsmile: The three little ones will be coming along too. It'll be fun.

We're also visiting her two brothers and their families as well. The ocean isn't too far away, and we're planning a couple of days hopefully there. There is a new aquatic center of some sort down the road from where we're staying...maybe I'll check it out, but I honestly had no real intentions of lap swimming on this vacation. I'll still have my suits and goggles with me though. Never leave home without them.

Most of all, we're going to try to be safe, and hopefully not run into "situations" down there. My other brother in law is also going down with us. He lives here in town, and knows the area well. I'm confident things will be fine, but you never know what to expect.

Nice knowing you all...pictures hopefully coming later...

Submit "Wed, March 20, 2013 7:00-9:00pm Last Blog for dayzzzzzzz...." to Digg Submit "Wed, March 20, 2013 7:00-9:00pm Last Blog for dayzzzzzzz...." to del.icio.us Submit "Wed, March 20, 2013 7:00-9:00pm Last Blog for dayzzzzzzz...." to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed, March 20, 2013 7:00-9:00pm Last Blog for dayzzzzzzz...." to Google

Comments

Have a great trip. Try not to scare the hell out of your wife on her first plane flight. Wait until the return flight :-)
    Be safe, have fun!
    I'll be praying for safe travel and your time there. From my time in Nica, I'd suggest asking whether food has been prepared with bottled water before eating - there were some mighty fine salads that I did not dare to try!
    Have fun!You are on vacation. you don't need to worry yourself about training, ! At least, you will have nice weather.
    Have a good trip!

How did your wife get here without a plane ride? Bus or car, I suppose. That's a looooong drive.
    Have a great trip. Hope you survive a week without fast food chains!
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Have a great trip. Try not to scare the hell out of your wife on her first plane flight. Wait until the return flight :-)
    Thanks. Return flight...check. Uh...is the wing supposed to be moving like that??
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Be safe, have fun!
    You got it...that's my #1, and then #2 things I have planned.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I'll be praying for safe travel and your time there. From my time in Nica, I'd suggest asking whether food has been prepared with bottled water before eating - there were some mighty fine salads that I did not dare to try!
    Thanks Mike. We'll be preparing most of our own food at the house, but should we go anywhere special, we'll try to remember to check on things like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Have fun!You are on vacation. you don't need to worry yourself about training, ! At least, you will have nice weather.
    Don't worry. This will be your opportunity to pass me up on GTD. Now or never Tom, get to it!

The weather will be nice...but it's intense hot, and humid. I'd rather have the dry heat the we have here in the summer, or Arizona has 11 months of the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Have a good trip!

How did your wife get here without a plane ride? Bus or car, I suppose. That's a looooong drive.
    Thanks Ellen.

How did she get here. If I give all the details, then ICE will be able to crack into my blog comments to figure out how everyone else get's across the southern border as well!

But in reality, she rode in the back of trucks, hopped aboard trains going north, etc. etc. When you have a goal to reach the U.S., you find a way. She told me at one point she was traveling with another older lady who could've passed for her mother, and that actually helped a bit. She was able to get rides without the guys trying to take advantage of her, though she said a few times she was ready to beat some of them senseless for their attempts. There were good honest people who helped them along though. Crossing the border...she made it on the first time, literally wading across the Rio Grande river. said it was about waist deep or a little more where she crossed in November. She stayed along the border watching the movements of the border patrol, learning their ways, watching larger groups of people getting caught, and figured out that a single person had a better chance of sneaking through. Once she got across, she contacted her brother here in Washington, and he came down to Texas and got her. Now, almost 15 years later, she's heading back "home".
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Have a great trip. Hope you survive a week without fast food chains!
    Thanks! I'll make it. I'll have plenty of stuff to choose from, especially since we'll be making it. There is fast food in the next big town down the road, and I'm sure we'll hit it a couple times (for the kids' benefit)
    Have fun!

You'll still be WAY ahead of my on GTD when you return. Of course, my GTD may take a hit for vaca as well.

Sunscreen!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Have fun!

You'll still be WAY ahead of my on GTD when you return. Of course, my GTD may take a hit for vaca as well.

Sunscreen!!!
    Sunscreen, already packed. Mosquito spray as well. That's something you don't think about, but having insider information helps with that.
    Have a good trip!
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Have a good trip!
    Thanks!

Take a day off from the pool while I'm gone as well! You deserve a small vacation too.
    I'm late to this party...but hope your trip is going well!
    Quote Originally Posted by slow
    I'm late to this party...but hope your trip is going well!
    Thanks! I made it back with a bit of sunburns, but had a very great time!