View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Taper weirdness...

Rate this Entry
by , March 22nd, 2013 at 07:40 PM (594 Views)
Stopped in at the YMCA in Downtown Omaha today. Only ten blocks from the hotel, it was very convenient. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't get a chance to swim yesterday because of the travel or if it just how you're supposed to feel in a taper, but the swim felt odd today.

On the one hand I felt smooth and fast, but on the other hand I felt tight and not at all as rested and fresh as I normally would feel after a 2000-yard EZ day, followed by a day of complete rest (I hardly ever have complete rest days in the last few months). Maybe it's just decompressing after 8 hours in the car yesterday... no sť.

Here's what I did:

500 EZ swim warm-up
100 back
2 x 50 fly
50 back
150 br
6 x 100 on 2:00 (all at 1:30--goal pace, 1650)
6 x 50 on 1:00 (25 hard/25 cruise)
200 EZ (fr and bk)

First fly, breast and back I've done since Tuesday, so I figured I'd have a little more snap, but wasn't feeling it. I got in and was quickly swimming circles around the other lap swimmers, but my times weren't as fast as I would have thought for as "fast" as I felt like I was going.

Hope that's how the final days of a taper are supposed to feel.

Another day of travel tomorrow; I'm planning to leave early enough to get back to Kenosha and the Y in time for a quick decompression swim, maybe practice starts, and then Sunday afternoon I swim the 4IM, 100 back, and 1650 at state meet in Milwaukee.

Submit "Taper weirdness..." to Digg Submit "Taper weirdness..." to del.icio.us Submit "Taper weirdness..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Taper weirdness..." to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Tapering is funny like that. One day you can feel crappy and the next feel great. Stick with it and don't get worried. Keep your stroke long as you start to tire in the race and you will do great. Good luck Alex!
    Thanks Stewart; I think I have lot of nervous energy building, hopefully because of tapering the yardage over the last week... my body is wondering what is going on. Whatever happens I'm planning on enjoying it.