View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

WI SCY--State Meet

Rate this Entry
by , March 24th, 2013 at 08:41 PM (691 Views)
Three events, three personal bests!

First event of the day today was the 400 IM and I went 6:49.xx (I'll have to check the official times when they're posted), a PR by at least 10 seconds. We actually had enough for two heats today, but I still picked up an age-group gold! My friend Scott form the Kenosha Y said anyone who finishes the 400 IM deserves a medal... he had a good day himself, going 59.xx in the 100 fly and I think 54 in the 100 free. I felt good about my performance because I was able to relax on the fly (I'm getting smoother if not faster) and push the back and free hard. Can't wait to see the splits. I didn't feel great on the breast, pull-outs were pretty short and shallow, but I think that's a function of the fatigue more than the progress I've been making on breast in the last month.

Next I did the 100 Back, good start, just tried to relax but still came in at 1:25.xx, a PR by 8 seconds. I also won the heat and took first place in age group. Scott said I split :41-:44 (:44 was my fastest 50 Back time only two months ago!). Scotty, (different Scott than the other Kenosha Y Scott mentioned above), my semi-regular training partner, did his 50 breast right after the 100 back and his seed time was enough to get him into the fastest heat... he's dropped about 2 secs off his 50 breast in the last 6 weeks and probably came in 4th-5th overall today in that event.

Last event was the 1650 and Scotty and I ended up in the second heat (lots of rest before the start) and right next to each other in lane assignments); he improved a lot over his 1500 SCM time from last fall too... probably lapped me a couple of times to top our age group. I was second in age-group with a 25:05.xx. That's an improvement of more than 1:45 over my 1500 SCM time and was right where I wanted to be. I had hoped to break 25:00, but put down a seed time of 25:20 knowing I was going to be happy with anything in the 25:xx-range. So that goal pace of 1:30/100--24:45--is still hanging out there for me... I'll have to keep working on it, but I'm super happy to have made the improvements I have made over the last 3 months.

Meet was a real blast, even if I only got to go for the second day. Other highlights: Scott had a :30 50 back yesterday and a 26.?? 50 fly; Scotty went 1:21 in his 100 breast and 31.xx in his 50 fly--that was a huge time drop for him (2 secs+). Our friend, Carl, from Madison (who swims at the Kenosha Y on the weekends when he's in town) managed to pick off another 200 state record in his 60-64 age group; the 200 IM, after swimming a state-record 200 back a couple of weeks ago at the Baraboo meet (which I couldn't make). Carl was one of only two other swimmers who swam the 400 IM with me at Whitefish Bay at the beginning of March... he smoked me by a minute! That's OK, I told him, I've got 20 years to catch up. I feel really fortunate to be swimming in such a wonderful and supportive atmosphere!

Now... I'm just really sore, and need... some... *yawn*

Submit "WI SCY--State Meet" to Digg Submit "WI SCY--State Meet" to del.icio.us Submit "WI SCY--State Meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "WI SCY--State Meet" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congratulations Alex. It must be very rewarding to drop all that time on your races. All that hard work paid off. Great job.
    See, we told you you'd be right around 25:00. Nice job!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Congratulations Alex. It must be very rewarding to drop all that time on your races. All that hard work paid off. Great job.
    Yes! Congrats on a great day!
    You are doing great, man!
    Sounds like a great meet - glad you were able to swim fast and have a blast as well!
    What great time drops! Congrats on your meet!
    Thanks to all of you for your support here and in the forums... it has been a lot of fun and nice to see the work finally starting to pay off. I joked with our group on Sunday (mostly sprinters) that I'm pretty psyched because finally after my first SCY meet season I can start my training for OW, and 800 IMs can now be a regular part of that! They think I'm crazy.
    Excellent meet performances! The results or your diligent work ethic, enthusiasm, positive perseverance, and willingness to explore challenging events are really inspirational! Surely you will continue to progress even more!