View RSS Feed

Trying to Train Smarter, Not Just Harder

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Rate this Entry
Yesterday was my in-laws 58th anniversary. Wow. Dad Lind is getting really old, and its sad to see a former astronaut, who was so virile and active, go into a decline. Mom Lind is old too, but doing better than Dad. Hoping they make it to their 60th. It's very interesting to compare them to my own parents, who are about 5 years younger - my parents are so very very active - they embraced the triathlete lifestyle about 20-25 years ago, and until 2 years ago were actually finishing Iron Man's (even in Hawaii). They are both lean, mean, fighting machines! Dad only takes one prescribed medication, and that is Lipitor. Mom takes two - but they are tiny doses. Sure hope I inherit all that good stuff!

Yesterday we did quite a bit more than he had us doing last week. Anya is becoming quite the regular - and she is definitely leading the lane.

500 back/free
5 x 100 stroke/free on 1:40
500 Pull
100 "over & under"
400 K, 25 hard/25 moderate
100 "over & under" again
9 x 100 on 1:30, desc 1-3 progressive
200 easy
3 x 500, first one pull w/snorkel but no paddles,
second one pull w/paddles but no snorkel,
third one w/zoomers "steady state" & working the turns
300 breast/free cooldown
Total: 5000 LCM

Today I went to the gym for 45 minutes - discovered a new way to use the Pec Fly - if you sit on it backwards & adjust the bars, you can seriously work your rear deltoids, which kinda feels like something we might use on the butterfly. So fun! (I love weights!!) Then over to the pool - got there seriously late, at 6:20, & got in a little 2300 as follows:

800 warmup - mixing in breast & backstroke
8 x 75 on 1:15; 25 kick, 50 free
6 x 100 pull on 1:20
300 breast/free cooldown
Total: 2300 SCY

Now to troll the web & see if there are any decent meets coming up (and I'm not talking championships, I already entered those).

Submit "Tuesday, April 2, 2013" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, April 2, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, April 2, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, April 2, 2013" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

  1. ekw's Avatar
    I know there is a LCM meet in Athens, GA, in June. There is a meet in Panama City Beach in August (SCY, I think) and a few different ones in Ocala, FL, too.
  2. Celestial's Avatar
    Panama City Beach? OMG - Gotta go to that one! I was actually considering the Athens one, but I also want to attend meets with my team mates - so I've got to see where they are going to be. Considering joining USA swimming and typing OLD where you put your age! Just so I can go to local meets! What about you? Still going up to Indianapolis?
  3. ekw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    Panama City Beach? OMG - Gotta go to that one! I was actually considering the Athens one, but I also want to attend meets with my team mates - so I've got to see where they are going to be. Considering joining USA swimming and typing OLD where you put your age! Just so I can go to local meets! What about you? Still going up to Indianapolis?
    Yup - Indianapolis is a go! Very excited!

    I'm planning to go to Athens because I have family in Atlanta so I can get in a visit with them. I'll also do the PCB meet and a meet over in Louisiana.
  4. Celestial's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Yup - Indianapolis is a go! Very excited!

    I'm planning to go to Athens because I have family in Atlanta so I can get in a visit with them. I'll also do the PCB meet and a meet over in Louisiana.
    Well good luck at Nationals!! You'll do great! I've been thinking about the LA meet too, because it's halfway to my parents house in Houston & maybe they would meet me there for a "visit". I've heard the pool is less than the best, however (not that it will make much difference in my case!!)
  5. ekw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    Well good luck at Nationals!! You'll do great! I've been thinking about the LA meet too, because it's halfway to my parents house in Houston & maybe they would meet me there for a "visit". I've heard the pool is less than the best, however (not that it will make much difference in my case!!)
    Thanks

    It's not a great pool in Baton Rouge but it's not terrible and they put on a very nice meet when I was there for SCY champs. The biggest complaint I had was that the bulkhead was really springy and messed with my turns which shouldn't be an issue for LCM. I preferred the New Orleans pool but apparently that one is really expensive.