View RSS Feed

Chowmi's Blog

500 free: swim smart or be the crowd pleaser?

Rate this Entry
by , April 3rd, 2013 at 11:46 AM (700 Views)
Well, Easter eating really pounded me up! I am an absolute whopping 144 lbs but the 2 chocolate bunnies, sour lemonheads, and low grade tummy ache were worth it.

SCM, Baylor Fitness Center.

Monday:
My joints actually HURT. And that would be knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, and wrists. It is also amazing how emotionally fragile I am after a 4 day school vacation and holiday festivities. I had to take it super easy and do short sprints. That said, I did about 6 dives off the blocks. I did 1 fast 50 and lanemates said it was a 28 low, but I thought it was so bad I didn't look at the clock right away, and when I did it was on the :30 so I think that it true I did a 28 high.

Tuesday:
MUCH BETTER! No sharp stabbing pains or tummy ache today. But I didn't want to do any dives nor any blast-o sprints. So I did a fast 200/150/100 backstroke and went 2:48/2:04 and 1:19.

Wednesday: That's today!
Major goofing off!

HOORAY! Pysche sheets are up and the timeline. I am really excited to do the 500 free. Everyone is telling me not to do my usual sprinty MO and go easy at the beginning. However, I am really toying with just going as fast I can - even if it's too fast. I'm not sure if I would feel very happy to have a lot left in the tank and go a mediocre time. I'd rather blast it out and die a horrible swim-death. Honestly! It would be like, dramatic irony where everyone in the natatorium knows what's going to happen except the person swimming way too fast in the 500. Then the climax to the anvil. But before then, i'd enjoy the absolute THRILL of being so far ahead of everyone else! I'm not sure I want to be on the leader's feet and then just slowly fall back further and further....why not add drama and spice to heat 1 of the 2013 south central zone meet! I'm also not sure about the other events. I think no matter what I do the 500 will take so much out of me. I may skip the 200 back, split the 100 free (50) and do the the 50 back. The next day, I might split the 200 free (50 free), swim the 100 back and then decide to stick around for 2 more 50's or to go home. I'm not that excited about swimming anything beyond the 500 free and at least 1 peppy 50 free.

Submit "500 free: swim smart or be the crowd pleaser?" to Digg Submit "500 free: swim smart or be the crowd pleaser?" to del.icio.us Submit "500 free: swim smart or be the crowd pleaser?" to StumbleUpon Submit "500 free: swim smart or be the crowd pleaser?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Lance Armstrong??
    So I did a fast 200/150/100 backstroke and went 2:48/2:04 and 1:19.
    IMO, those are very solid SCM practice swims. I don't hit those except when tapering. It would appear that you have a very good chance to be the overall female winner in the 200 back.

I think no matter what I do the 500 will take so much out of me. I may skip the 200 back,
    If you are going to go AFAP from the get-go, then you owe it to the officials and timers (who are always so bored in freestyle events anyways) to do split requests for the 50, 100 and 200.
    The crowd wants a 500 Fly!

Go out fast and keep up w/ all the freestylers in your heat as long as you can. That's drama.
    To me, the worst thing in the world is dying a horrible swim death! If you have some left in the tank, you could just pick it up and sprint the last 100. It's not like you're going to run out of pool real soon.

Nice backstroke swims!
    Thanks for all the "advice"! Did you know you can actually stop in the middle of a fly race at the wall? I asked chowsh all about it from an official's point of view. This may come in handy in a 500 fly. You could essentially mix butterfrog with some wall time and viola - a legal masters 500 fly. @Fort, I have no fear of dying a horrible death. I used to do it all the time when I had to swim 200's so i'm sort of used to it, in the sense that it isn't like I freak out when the anvil does drop. It's just a bummer when it's at like, the 70 mark versus at least getting to the 150.
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Thanks for all the "advice"! Did you know you can actually stop in the middle of a fly race at the wall? I asked chowsh all about it from an official's point of view. This may come in handy in a 500 fly. You could essentially mix butterfrog with some wall time and viola - a legal masters 500 fly. @Fort, I have no fear of dying a horrible death. I used to do it all the time when I had to swim 200's so i'm sort of used to it, in the sense that it isn't like I freak out when the anvil does drop. It's just a bummer when it's at like, the 70 mark versus at least getting to the 150.
    I did that exact thing a couple summers ago at a USAS meet here in town during a LCM 200 Fly. I'd already done one when I was still in shape in early June, so the one in mid July when I wasn't swimming was a bit different. I swam the first 100 ok, the 3rd 50 began to stink...and I was definitely behind in my heat. I touched at the wall, and the stroke and turn was watching me for any wrong moves. I didn't move though. He asked me if I was okay, and I replied "I'm just taking a breather..." And he started laughing. I then proceeded to finish the race no problem after a broken 200 Fly.

In my cases of doing longer fly races though, like a 500, I find it's easier to just keep prodding along at a consistent pace, slow or not, but just don't stop the rythem. Take a long second or two on the turns for maybe a double breath, but that's it. Then push off and get another length done. If you stop to rest too long, it actually can make it harder to keep going. Think the turtle and the hair story. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by chowmi
    Thanks for all the "advice"!
    If I had no fear of dying a painful horrible swim death, a hard 500 fly is what I'd do. But I'm a chicken when it comes to my first 50-100 yards of a 500. I do like the idea of getting a split request. If you plan on going down in flames, might as well get something out of it.

I have seen people legally stop at wall. At a meet last year, a photographer was trying to get a shot of swimmers at a turn in the middle of a 200 free. One of the older swimmers stopped at 100m and took a few seconds to pose for the shot before continuing on for the rest of the race.