View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Refreshing morning swim

Rate this Entry
Last night I went to my first (indoor) rowing class since summer. I had been wanting to resume these workouts ever since I returned to the city in early March, but I had to wait a bit while a foot injury healed sufficiently that the pushoff from the pedals wasn’t aggravating it. (It’s an old injury, to the joint connecting my big toe to my foot, and I had hurt it again at a trampoline session in late January.) My goal last night was simply to reacquaint myself with rowing form and make it through 45 minutes of class, and I did that. After some warm-up and half- and quarter-rows for form work, we did some power tens (series of 10 strokes fast—my fastest got down to 1:55), then the following set:

5 x (2 minutes fast, 1 minute easy) [descended these from 2:27 to 2:11)

2 minute rest / stretch
At this point I thought the workout was about done. We had 6 minutes left, and we usually spend the last few minutes of class warming down and stretching. But, nope, the instructor decided he wanted to do the above set again. Since we had time for only 2 rounds, we did 3:

3 x (2 minutes fast, 1 minute easy) [descended from 2:28 to 2:11)

It was nice to be back rowing—I’m hoping to add this to my weekly schedule on a regular basis.

This morning I swam at the Y with a friend. The pool was crowded when I got there, and we had to get the duo swimming in the fast lane to agree to circle with us. (Who takes “Would you mind circling?” as an actual question, anyway?) They left after a few laps, though, and we had the lane to ourselves for most of the workout. Here’s what I did:

750 warmup (400s, 200k, 200 pull)

4 x 75 FR k/d/s @ 1:30
4 x 150 FR/BK/FR desc. @ 2:30 [2:15 > 1:58]

5 x 500s with traveling backstroke
1st 500 = FR except 1st and 10th 50s are back
2nd 500 = FR except 2nd and 9th 50s are back
3rd 500 = FR except 3rd and 8th 50s are back
etc.

250 warmdown + play

The pool was a good temp this morning—I even got a bit chilled when I was swimming at warmdown pace. Luckily there’s a sauna and steam room at this pool, and I made good use of them post-swim today. Weights this afternoon and ballet class tonight made for a full day of exercise. I'm definitely looking forward to a massage tomorrow!

Submit "Refreshing morning swim" to Digg Submit "Refreshing morning swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Refreshing morning swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Refreshing morning swim" to Google

Comments