View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

With a smile and a ribbon . . .

Rate this Entry
This morning I swam at Riverbank with a couple of friends, plus a hundred thousand other folks. It was crowded, in part because one of the pool my team and others uses for regular workouts, John Jay, has been closed this week. The combination of crowded lanes and my general listlessness made for an uninspired workout. Worse, my two pals were diligently swimming 700s, so I couldn’t even catch them at the wall very often for chatting. Luckily there were plenty of other swimmers I knew up there who were feeling social, so I got in some frequent talking breaks during the following:

700 lcm warmup (400s, 200k, 100p)

500 FR, with speed-play
600 FR with some backstroke lengths
[Here I gave up on the everlasting would-be 700s and decided to try some sprinting instead.]

12 x 50 (25 sprint, 25 easy): odds K, evens S, 1-4 FL, 5-8 BK, 9-12 FR

10 x 100 very gentle swimming [These felt really good.]

I blame the big pink ribbon in my pull buoy for inducing the following ear worm this morning, which I initially found annoying. But somewhere during the sprint set my annoyance with this cloying song grew so great that I had to laugh, and so I eventually ended up (yes) smiling to myself as the song played on in my head during the last half of my swim. Here it is, for everyone else’s enjoyment:

Earlier this week I planned to order some more swimsuits for the spring, but I made myself clean out my swimsuit drawer to see what I had first. Big mistake—I think my next swimsuit purchase will be a couple of age groups down the road. (But maybe I can use that hypothetical money I will save to buy one of these fabulous mermaid tails!) For years I had a bad habit of buying grab-bag suits, then tucking the ones I didn’t like away for “later." Luckily, tastes change, and I was able to find a few that I like now, or that somehow just got lost in the shuffle. Another discovery—worries about lycra material deteriorating whether you wear suits or not seems to be overblown. Maybe it does—I have a friend in the fashion industry who recommends keeping unworn suits in the freezer—but the process must take a while. I found one suit with a Goodwill Games 1998 logo on it that seemed to be just fine. Of course, it’s a zip-back suit, and I don’t play polo anymore, so I’m not sure when I’ll wear it, but the material seems to have held up well.

So today's new suit was all vivid blues and greens, with big flowers on it—I am willing spring to be here by wearing the brightest colors I can, but the weather is not listening. I feel like the anti-Grinch, whose best efforts to make the season arrive are stymied by grumpy cold winds that just won’t go away. But I’m going to win out in the end—and indeed might be already, as it’s turned into a beautiful sunny afternoon. Here’s to the power of flowery swimsuits!

Submit "With a smile and a ribbon . . ." to Digg Submit "With a smile and a ribbon . . ." to del.icio.us Submit "With a smile and a ribbon . . ." to StumbleUpon Submit "With a smile and a ribbon . . ." to Google

Updated April 5th, 2013 at 04:58 PM by swimsuit addict

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments