View RSS Feed

Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team

Wed; 04/10/13

Rate this Entry
Not as good at keeping up with this as I once was. Must say something about my job. Or my fatigue level. Been having trouble actually having the energy to do workouts the way I used to just back in January. What's different? Started weights. You'd think that after 8 weeks I would be used to it by now, but you would be wrong. I just have this pervasive fatigue level. Back in December & January, keeping 12 x 100 @ 1:30 LCM was hard, but do-able, and I did it about every day. Once I remember we even went 24 x 100 @ 1:30! Today I could make three. Rested & went half-way down & back (50 m) then started up again. Had to rest again after three more. Pathetic. All these young bucks tell me that I should be acclimated to weights by now, but I'm wondering if perhaps since I am an old lady in my 50's maybe it takes a bit longer? Hopefully, because otherwise I am spiraling the drain.
Here's workout today:
500 back/free
500 Pull locomotive
5 x 100 stroke/free on 1:40
300 kick
100 over/under
12 x 100 @ 1:30 (tried & died)
6 x 4-cycle speedplay
200 easy
8 x 50 @ 1:00
400 P using breath control
Total: 3950 LCM

And Monday:
500 back/free
500 P
400 K
100 over/under
5 x 300 @ 5:00
8 x 4-cycle speedplay
200 easy
2 x 500 P, second one w/out paddles
Total: 4200 LCM

Submit "Wed; 04/10/13" to Digg Submit "Wed; 04/10/13" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed; 04/10/13" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed; 04/10/13" to Google

Updated April 19th, 2013 at 09:05 PM by Celestial

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Did you start weights for swimming or for general health? If the latter, you don't need to go crazy with heavy stuff. How many times a week are you lifting? I have better results with only 2x. And fatigue does sorta come with our awful age ...
    Been having trouble actually having the energy to do workouts the way I used to just back in January. What's different? Started weights. You'd think that after 8 weeks I would be used to it by now, but you would be wrong. I just have this pervasive fatigue level. Back in December & January, keeping 12 x 10 @ 1:30 LCM was hard, but do-able, and I did it about every day. Once I remember we even went 24 x 100 @ 1:30! Today I could make three. Rested & went half-way down & back (50 m) then started up again. Had to rest again after three more. Pathetic.
    This sounds pretty normal to me, not pathetic at all.

I've been pretty diligent about "weights" for several years now and they still have a big negative impact on my swim performance in practice for the ensuing couple of days.
    IIMO 10x100/1:30 LCM is bloody hard. I could only make that on a very good day.
    I hope your performance is not "pathetic" because that would make mine unmentionable.
    Thx guys.
    @ Fort, well, I started lifting to improve my strength both in and out of the pool. They are really FUN! But I don't think I go crazy hard stuff, I struggle to do a count of 12, and when that gets easier, I increase my weight that I lift by 5 or 10 pounds. Thought I might stay at my next increase (next week) until after the Pan Am meet (taking off for a week before of course, to taper).
    @ Karl, I thought once I was acclimated to that weight it would have no more impact on my swimming than a hard workout would. My arms aren't sore any more, I just feel super tired after warm up& "creaky" at the beginning of warm up. Since I swim at o dark thirty, I don't eat before I swim, I just roll out of the bed and go. I think I'm gonna take some shock blox to eat after warm up (during "social kick"?) and see if that helps me on the core part of practice.
    If you're tapering or Pan Ams, you should drop weights 3 weeks out, or at least 2. I always do 3 because it takes a long time to rest the legs. Never never increase weight more than 10% at a time to give all your joints time to adjust. 10 pounds could be more than 10%. I violated this rule to my peril and injured my elbow.

I thought about that meet too, but it's just way too long for me to do this summer.
    Thanks Fort, good advice there. I don't do a great deal of weights on the legs cuz of chronic knee injuries. And you're right, going from 50 to 60 pounds is more like a 20% increase, so I'll keep that in mind! Don't want ANY more injuries!!
    You write: " My arms aren't sore any more, I just feel super tired after warm up& "creaky" at the beginning of warm up." Yup - that sounds exactly like what I feel. I think I'm fully recovered until I hit the water, then I feel creaky and very tired. I second Fort's advice on all accounts. First, increase weight veeeeeery slowly. I've been told that tendons strengthen much more slowly than muscles, so even when your muscles can handle more weight, it seems like a good idea to not increase weight for some time to let the tendons catch up. Second, dropping weights 3 weeks out has worked really well for me on my last two full tapers. Even if you were to build muscle in the weight room during that time it would not be useful swimming because it apparently takes a while for the brain to recruit the new muscle for swimming. (neuromuscular patterning or some such)