leg abductor, 120 x 4 x 8
bicep curl, 30 x 3 x 8
back extensions w/25 lb plate, 3 x 15
power wheel roll outs, 3 x 15
seated twists w/45 lb bar, 2 x 25
russian twists on incline bench w/25 lb plate, 2 x 25
med ball slams, 10
foam rolling/scap stretching, 15 min
-- it feels weird doing no plyos, but I guess with nationals approaching, it's not a bad time to stop them

Swim/SCY/Solo:

700 various
6 x (25 front scull + 25 EVF free) w/agility paddles
50 EZ
2 x (6 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :35 + 50 EZ)
9 x 50 drill (3 fly/back/free)
50 EZ
4 x 25 shooters w/fins
50 EZ

Total: 2100

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Had to be gone from the house all day, so got in a double. I was somewhat alarmed when our prospective buyer showed up with a home inspector, pool inspector, and structural engineer. I had never heard of someone bringing in a structural engineer to a home inspection. And I can't stand the buyer. Feeling a bit gloomy over all that ... and somewhat ticked off too since prior inspections have shown no structural problem. Our house certainly survived the earthquake just fine. I feel like its s blatant attempt to leverage the price. Mr. Fort and I have hired our own structural engineer. I forsee negotiations ...

On the upside, there are 445 swimmers entered in Colozines Zones thus far, and Cheryl is expecting 50 more. This is a good number for the meet. I was a bit surprised by only 1636 going to Indy. But I guess Indy was also competing with the Pan Am games. Now way could I get away for that kind of time.

Submit "Wed., April 10" to Digg Submit "Wed., April 10" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed., April 10" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed., April 10" to Google

Updated April 10th, 2013 at 08:03 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

It's ballsy for someone who made a full price offer within days of a listing to expect to negotiate price. Maybe they want to do a lot of renovations? I wouldn't worry about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    It's ballsy for someone who made a full price offer within days of a listing to expect to negotiate price. Maybe they want to do a lot of renovations? I wouldn't worry about it.
    It was hours after the listing. They love the house, but are contemplating renovating the kitchen. That's not my problem. I'm spending big bucks renovating myself. It's just such a blatant tactic. I feel we have no recourse but to spend more money on our own engineer. And while the house is under contract, it can't be marketed. I guess that's what they intended. Sigh. At least we're the only Victorian house on the market.
    Updated April 10th, 2013 at 08:44 PM by The Fortress
    We got the same $%^* when we sold our folks place after they passed. The price is the price, take it or walk. It worked in our case, but oh my were they every huffy about it! If they want the place, they will pay what they said they would pay.
    I wouldn't spend $$ on an engineer unless their engineer finds a potential problem. Then it would be prudent to have your own engineer to evaluate the other's report and do his own investigation.
    Quote Originally Posted by poolraat
    I wouldn't spend $$ on an engineer unless their engineer finds a potential problem. Then it would be prudent to have your own engineer to evaluate the other's report and do his own investigation.
    On the way out, the real estate agent said there were "some problems." We can't wait. I think we only have 24-48 hours to respond to their engineer's report. I really think this is such BS. They have no entitlement to a state of the art foundation. It is a 1920s house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    We got the same $%^* when we sold our folks place after they passed. The price is the price, take it or walk. It worked in our case, but oh my were they every huffy about it! If they want the place, they will pay what they said they would pay.
    We're perfectly willing to be reasonable if there are minor issues. But our house is meticulously maintained. Mr. Fort is neurotic; it's in absolutely mint condition. So for them to be pulling a stunt like this ... The wife basically said they did the same thing when they bought an old Victorian in SF.

They want a Victorian, and this is it. They are already coveting our pool/racquet membership (for which there is otherwise a 6 year wait list), kids picked out their rooms, planning pool parties in the backyard, etc. I just really hope their engineer's report doesn't completely piss us off.
    They have no entitlement to a state of the art foundation. It is a 1920s house.
    Exactly. We sold an 1827 Vermont farmhouse. Sorry, but you can't expect 3rd millennium construction. You want modern, buy modern. You want quaint, well that comes with some baggage.
    oh wow, that is a low number for Spring Nationals. Well, Indy has much more locker room space than Greensboro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Exactly. We sold an 1827 Vermont farmhouse. Sorry, but you can't expect 3rd millennium construction. You want modern, buy modern. You want quaint, well that comes with some baggage.
    Precisely my thoughts. We had a long conversation with our real estate agent tonight and she thinks it's correct to bring in our own engineer. The engineer they hired also does repair work, so is hardly impartial. If it's a big ticket item, we'll tell them to suck it up and fix it themselves if it's so important. Our agent confirmed that the wife is a real ball busting b*tch. It's rare that I immediately hate someone, but I absolutely can't stand her after 20 minutes with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    oh wow, that is a low number for Spring Nationals. Well, Indy has much more locker room space than Greensboro.
    True! Greensboro was really laughable on space.
    It's rare that I immediately hate someone, but I absolutely can't stand her after 20 minutes with her.
    Hopefully I won't be the same way next month in Indianapolis.

When we bought our 1922 house 5 years ago or so, we knew we had problems with the house when we signed the papers. A house nearly 100 years old is going to have problems...especially if you inherit "homeowner specials" as my dad calls them. Some people just don't know what the heck they're doing with additions/remodels sometimes. Part of the fun of owning a home is fixing the stuff as it arises.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1

When we bought our 1922 house 5 years ago or so, we knew we had problems with the house when we signed the papers. A house nearly 100 years old is going to have problems...especially if you inherit "homeowner specials" as my dad calls them. Some people just don't know what the heck they're doing with additions/remodels sometimes. Part of the fun of owning a home is fixing the stuff as it arises.
    That's what you have to do sometimes, sign and renovate. But our house has been professionally renovated and is in perfect condition - new roof, new systems, new covered porch, new everything. It's hard for me to imagine anyone complaining. But if they want a state of the art foundation, we are not providing that. And I just don't like the blatant manipulation involved. We'll see what our engineer finds. But if they are jerks, we're walking away and putting the house back on the market this weekend to not lose any more of the spring market.
    Oh that sucks. Home buying/selling can be obnoxious, depending on the other parties involved. We put an offer on our house, right at the selling price (and most homes were going for a few $K under at that point), with just a home inspection clause on it, only to get into a bidding war with someone who wanted to pay cash and had a $8K escalation clause in their offer (most homes around here are $1500 or less). Thankfully the seller kind of got the heebie-jeebies from the other buyer, so she went with us, but we almost didn't get the house. Both her real estate agent and ours mentioned that folks who do that kind of stuff, especially in our neighborhood are either going to flip the house or carve it up for rentals.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmieAvsFan
    Oh that sucks. Home buying/selling can be obnoxious, depending on the other parties involved. We put an offer on our house, right at the selling price (and most homes were going for a few $K under at that point), with just a home inspection clause on it, only to get into a bidding war with someone who wanted to pay cash and had a $8K escalation clause in their offer (most homes around here are $1500 or less). Thankfully the seller kind of got the heebie-jeebies from the other buyer, so she went with us, but we almost didn't get the house. Both her real estate agent and ours mentioned that folks who do that kind of stuff, especially in our neighborhood are either going to flip the house or carve it up for rentals.
    Sorry you had to go through that. I guess it's almost par for the course these days ... There are definitely bidding wars here in NOVA on many homes. Better you bought last year than this year when the market is much hotter.

These buyers have definitely given me the heebie-jeebies. I'm also angry that they have potentially wasted valuable time. We'll have to have another open house, a brokers open house, etc. It's not even in active listings at this point. If they continue to be complete *ssholes, I'm not going to convey our summer swim league membership to them. There's nothing about it in the K anyway. I just don't feel like being a jerk myself. Whatever. We'll see what our engineer says today. If he says it's fine, they'll have to take fine. They have no right to better or perfect.
    What exactly are they expecting to find by bringing in this engineer? I feel like your house, besides being impeccably maintained (which I've obviously seen first hand), is probably likely to have fared the earthquake better than more modern houses, simply because in the 1920s, folks cared about quality of workmanship. I can kind of see their point when they were buying in SF, but in NoVa, really?
    What exactly are they expecting to find by bringing in this engineer? I feel like your house, besides being impeccably maintained (which I've obviously seen first hand), is probably likely to have fared the earthquake better than more modern houses, simply because in the 1920s, folks cared about quality of workmanship. I can kind of see their point when they were buying in SF, but in NoVa, really?
    The foundation is not perfect. But it's been inspected before and it was fine. I'm sure there are things that could be improved, but that's not our responsibility. We just need to provide a safe and working foundation. I think it's a blatant attempt to leverage the price down. Everyone hates the wife, even her own broker. But we have no problem walking if she insists on a new or improved foundation at some high $$ cost. As you say, this is not SF. I will feel better after we have a report form our own engineer (who has no stake in finding faults bc, unlike the broker's engineer, they don't do repairs). Scott is really ticked bc he is such a maintenance nut. I doubt the home inspector found anything wrong.

They also wanted to know where the ladder was in our pool, which is about 3.5 feet deep in the shallow end. We took it out when we put in all the brickwork so it wouldn't mar the look. But we'll be happy to re-mar it for them. Honestly, they should be pleased everything is pristine. That's not usually the case with most non-new houses.

Our house in Pitt, built in the 1930s, is like a "fortress." We had trouble putting in wiring for sconces because the walls are rock.
    I mean, there's "not perfect" and then there's "structurally unsound". I wouldn't expect your house to have a foundation in brand-new, pristine condition, again, since it's nearly 100 years old. But if you guys did your due diligence after the earthquake, and an engineer with no ties to folks who do repairs said it's still sound, these buyers need to get a life. I hope things work our in your favor! And that your rock walls in Pitt don't cause too many reno problems
    I mean, there's "not perfect" and then there's "structurally unsound". I wouldn't expect your house to have a foundation in brand-new, pristine condition, again, since it's nearly 100 years old. But if you guys did your due diligence after the earthquake, and an engineer with no ties to folks who do repairs said it's still sound, these buyers need to get a life. I hope things work our in your favor! And that your rock walls in Pitt don't cause too many reno problems
    Well, yeah, if it's "structurally unsound," that's a huge problem and it's on us. I'd be shocked if it were. Their engineer seemed to be contemplating repairs when he left to figure out "the price." I'll report back on what our engineer says this afternoon.

Our rock walls have driven up our reno costs because, unlike the prior owners, we don't want to live in the dark. But it's been fun picking out A&C lighting. We also had to re-paint the entire house because they had wall paper in every single room. Blech.