View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rate this Entry
by , April 10th, 2013 at 07:44 PM (305 Views)
LCM@FGCU Aquatic Center
Air temp 76, Water temp 79
Sunny, humidity at 80%

Warm Up
Dryland bands
200 FR DPS
200 FR Kick
400 FR w/agilty paddles-buoy-tuge
400 FR w/snorkel-fins

*Set 1*
6(4x50 FR on 1:20, 2:00 rest)
*34-33-32-32
*31-31-30-30 w/agility paddles
*33-32-32-31
*32-31-30-30 w/agility paddles
*32-31-30-29
*29-28-27-26 w/fins-agility paddles
---200 BK
---400 FR Kick as 50K/50K-Scull w/snorkel

*Set 2*
2x1000 FR on 15:00, #1 w/buoy-tube-agility paddles, #2 no equipment
*13:45, 13:38, right into...
10x100 FR on 1:30
*1-4)1:17, 5-7)1:16, 8-10)1:15

Warm Down
400 FR EZ DPS
Dryland bands

Comments
Started with 1200 meters of quality 50s FR followed by a 3000 meter FR endurance set. First time ever for a 29.3 LCM 50 FR from a push off. Finally was able to do 10x100 on 1:30 holding times under 1:20. I ordered two 9402 Yingfa Jammers from Mr. George Park last night, and they are already in the mail today.

Swimming Science Article:
Long Course vs. Short Course
http://www.swimmingscience.net/2013/...-swimming.html

Some quotes...

'The most obvious difference between a short and long course is the number of turns: “SCY races are a series of events joined together to form a single race. A swimming phase followed by a turning phase followed by an underwater kicking phase. Although the same can be said for LCM swimming, the duration of the swimming phases in SCY swimming are very different (Skinner).” Because swimmers alternate different phases more frequently during short course swimming, the swimming portion can occur at a higher velocity, not only due to “breaks” but also because swimmers achieve the highest velocity off the turns (assuming the turn is not horrible).'

'Skinner adds, “[a] common denominator in long course race analysis (USA athletes) is the constant stroke rate degradation that occurs on every lap of every race. It is the extreme exception when I see an athlete maintain their stroke rate across the pool, and in some cases there is a significant drop off in stroke rate during the second half of each lap of the race. The bottom line here is the fact that the athlete is unable to sustain their neural function all the way across the pool and this leads to significant losses that aren’t that easy to see.”

Keskinen (2007) formally studied different pool lengths (SCM and LCM) and noted the following differences:

• Significantly higher blood lactate levels for the 50m pool compared to 25m at each point of curve comparing swimming velocity with blood lactate.
  • Heart rate values were significantly higher LCM.
  • Maximum swimming velocity was significantly higher in 25m pool owing to the turns.
  • The turning benefit via SCM correlated with the difference in maximal speed, difference in maximal force in tethered swimming baseline test, and the difference in countermovement jump performance. (Related to dryland jump performance, note also Potdevin (2011), finding a positive effect of plyometric training on starts and turns, but not on kicking propulsion.)'

Submit "Wednesday, April 10, 2013" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, April 10, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, April 10, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, April 10, 2013" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Very interesting comments by Skinner, of course we've known all along there's a heck of a lot more swimming done in long course, and that's why some of us prefer it, and vice versa. Depends on where your strengths are. Congrats on those 50's! Sounds like a lovely way to start the day!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    Very interesting comments by Skinner, of course we've known all along there's a heck of a lot more swimming done in long course, and that's why some of us prefer it, and vice versa. Depends on where your strengths are. Congrats on those 50's! Sounds like a lovely way to start the day!
    Thanks! I was actually supposed to do the 10x100s after the 50s and then do the 2x1000s. But I made the adjustment because since I have not been doing that much quality 50s I was really wiped out swimming at that pace. Somehow though, doing some hard fast 50s will make the longer swims more efficient.