View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:00-9:00pm

Rate this Entry
Had a substitute coach tonight. John actually is using Thursdays for the next few weeks to do a "coach swap" among the 4 practice groups, so everyone will get to work with a different coach for a bit. Tonight, we had Darcy, who is our coach for the younger age groupers (group #2 of the 4) on the team. She chose to focus on stroke drill/technique work with us tonight, with a bit of fun stuff in the drills as well.

Warmup:

400 Free
300 Drill (did 200 Fly, 100 Free)
200 Kick w/ board
100 Free
(1000/1000)

2 Rounds of:
  • 2 x 150 Kick (1st round no fins, 2nd round SDK w/ long fins) @ LIFO
  • 4 x 75 Drill @ 1:10 (did odds Fly, evens Free)
  • 8 x 25 Swim @ :30 Odds Fly, Evens Free

(1800/2800)

At this point she mixed us up among the 6 lanes so that we were all with different people than normal, and began doing various different drills and swims with the 3 strokes (besides freestyle).
All 25s...

Fly and Back was focused on SDKs,
Also on Fly was fast kicking with getting our butts up
Backstroke we did laneline pulling drills, holding objects on our head to prevent head movement, other kicking drills for body position. (Note: my backstroke hasn't been changed a bit)
Breaststroke did some opposite side isolation swimming (grab right hand to left foot behind back and swim). This really lets you know if you have a weak side to your stroke. My left leg does almost nothing this way. It also tells you if you're trying to overcompensate one way or the other.

All during these 25s, the lanes were getting green marks on the whiteboard next to our lanes. We weren't sure what these marks were for, but assumed they weren't good. At the end, she explained that the green marks were for breaking the "pet peeves" of her and the other coaches...like not leaving from the wall, not finishing your swim to the wall, first stroke breathing off wall (after streamline come up and breath before a stroke), etc.
Our lane had 4 marks...
Each mark was worth 5 pushups.
:steroids:
20 pushups! Had I known we were playing for pushups per lane, I would've tried to earn more of them.
(~1500 yards of drills & swims/4300)

200 cooldown

-----------------------------
4500 Yards

Submit "Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to Digg Submit "Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to Google

Comments