View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

Thursday thru Saturday

Rate this Entry
by , April 14th, 2013 at 12:50 AM (926 Views)
Just when things were going really well and I felt like momentum was headed in the right direction... bang... caught my foot just right on the tiles during a flip turn and sliced it open pretty good; nice and deep.

I was in the middle of a nice hard workout too... in the second set of what was supposed to be 3 x 4 x 100 on 3:00 at about 95%. I was coming in at 1:12-1:15, my fastest times ever in freestyle, the lactic acid was building up nicely, I was at about 2600 for the workout... hoping to get in about 4000, when I cut my foot. I got it out of the water and over the drain on the deck before it started bleeding too badly, but I could tell it was deep. The lifeguard helped me to stop the bleeding and bandage it; but there would be no cool-down, which really sucked. I pushed the skin backed together, hoping it would heal up on its own and not require stitches, and it stopped bleeding pretty quickly. Neosporin and clean dressing for the rest of the day and it seemed to be coming along nicely. I did some yoga yesterday morning before work and didn't have any problems, and left the bandage off... maybe the air would help it heal. But last night when I got home I noticed it had been oozing and left a stain in my sock, so I decided to take the night off from swimming.

Today I used the skin-crack sealer and took it to the pool for a good 3500; I kept an eye on the foot and the wound never re-opened, so I think I'm in the clear. Tomorrow I'll be back on track. Today's workout was dreamed up by Scotty. My freestyle was a lot slower than Thursday's workout, but I think maybe I was still sore from that effort and from not helping my recovery along with a good cool-down. A lot of IM work today:

WU:
400 EZ free
4 x 100 on 2:00 (1:30-1:33)
4 x 50 on 1:00 (:40-:41)

MS:
5 x 200 IM on 5:00 (3:28-3:34)
5 x 100 IM on 2:15 (1:40-1:45)
100 recovery
400 IM (mid 7:20s)

CD:
500 EZ free

About 70 minutes in total. My endurance on fly feels a lot better. And my kick on breast is coming along, but it was not a super fast day by any means.

Afterward I got in 30 minutes with the core and weights; 5 minutes of core work (bird dog, front plank, flutter kicks), then:

3 x 10 lunges
3 x 10 military press
3 x 10 squats
3 x 10 incline press
3 x 10 sumo squats
3 x 10 upright rows
---
3 x 10 bench press
3 x 10 seated row*
3 x 10 decline press
3 x 10 lat pull downs*

*70 lbs; everything else was with 20 lb dumbbells and alternated exercises w/ each set (lunges w/ military press for ex.), without any rest between sets or exercises. I'm surprised at how I can work up a pretty good sweat after about 15 minutes of this.

Submit "Thursday thru Saturday" to Digg Submit "Thursday thru Saturday" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday thru Saturday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday thru Saturday" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sorry to hear about your foot Alex. Its never good when you hit your heel on a turn but a cut is awful. I hope it heals quickly and causes you no further ill effect. It looks like you have sped up your pace on free(1.12-1.15), which is awesome. Keep up the hard work.
    Updated April 14th, 2013 at 12:00 PM by StewartACarroll
    Ouch, been there. Sounds like you're on the path back already, though.
    I usually keep my cuts covered, they seem to heal quicker like that for me.

Anyhow, Those are some good times for the LP 100's, that's awesome man.
    I think a nasty cut like that might lead one to think fins were required from here on out. At least for a couple of weeks anyway! I hate nasty walls! Hope you heal quick & don't reopen it!
    Wow, thanks for all the comments guys... I appreciate it. the cut's healed over now, but the area is still tender with bruise; it certainly has encouraged me to flip a little sooner over the last week.