View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

Monday, April 15, 2013

Rate this Entry
by , April 15th, 2013 at 08:09 PM (787 Views)
LCM@FGCU Aquatic Center
Air temp 75, Water temp 78
Sunny, humidity at 88%

Warm Up
Dryland bands
400 FR as CU swimming
400 FR w/agility paddles-buoy-tube
1x200 FR as 4(25 smooth, 25 Fast BC-2)

*Set 1*
3(4x50 FR on 1:00, 1:00 rest)
*34-34-34-34, 34-33-33-33, 32-32-32-32...right into
2(4x100 FR on 2:00, 1:00 rest)
*1:17, 1:16, 1:16, 1:16
*1:15, 1:15, 1:15, 1:15
---200 BK
---200 FR as 2(25RA/25LA, 50 CU)

*Set 2*
2000 FR TT as steady DPS *26:44
---400 as 4(50BK, 50 FR-CU)

*Set 3*
12x50 FR on 1:00
*35-35-35-34-34-34-34-34-34-33-33-32, 1:00 rest, right into...
8x100 FR on 2:00
*1:18, 1:17, 1:17, 1:17, 1:17, 1:16, 1:16, 1:16

Warm Down
600 FR Drills, BK, Fly & BR
Dryland bands

Comments
Beginning to feel more in control with the pacing. Overall technical focus is to swim FR with a consistent EVF and a steady kick particularly when building the second 25 of each 50.

Submit "Monday, April 15, 2013" to Digg Submit "Monday, April 15, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, April 15, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, April 15, 2013" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Another great workout Frank. Nice mix of yardage and quality. Out of curiousity how much yardage do you typically drop on your taper?
    Thanks for your comment. I try to mix it up as to make sure I swim at a range of paces, kind of like having a well balanced meal. While not that formal or planned out, it is better than the same speed LSD lap swimming I did for many years.

As for tapering, for myself I am somewhat of a novice, having only done it once in college. The next two weeks I am planning to drop the volume from 5-6K to about 3.5 - 5K with a mix of speed, pace, and stroke technique swims. With Pan Pacs in June I will rebuild and perhaps taper off a bit more depending how this one goes. Any suggestions and tips are welcome.
    I am by no means the expert! In college I did both long and short tapers and personally responded well to a 3 week taper. I suspect that part of the taper duration is based around the yardage you are tapering down from, which in your case is high, which in my experience is a good thing for distance guys. During my current taper which I started yesterday i am going try to keep my yardage up in week 1(it will naturally drop off due to my mini training camp the other week, and then i plan on dropping about 25% of my yardage in week 2, and an additional 25% in week 3. Throughout my taper i do my normal mix of quality, stroke technique and aerobic sets ensuring i dont deliberately drop my intensity. Obviously a taper is a very personal thing but i recall deliberately easing back during one taper in college and it not working out. The advice i was given by my college coach outside the final week of the taper was to keep up my normal intensity and let the drop in yardage do the work of being your recovery. Your yardage is in line with what I would expect and by the looks of your last few workouts your intensity is still high. Long story short you are doing pretty much what I am planning on doing, so we are either both doing it right or both doing it wrong. I am sure you are looking forward to your race, I know I am looking forward to mine.
    I will be beginning my taper pretty soon after this weekend's USAS meet that I'm doing. Our team is building things up in the endurance basework right now for the upcoming long course season, and I'm going right along with them. After the meet, I'll begin slowly taking stuff away, but since I'm a distance guy, I'll keep it going about 80-90% of normal for that week. The following week, I'm going to cut back on my intensity of my kick sets (since my team is big big on fin kicking), and start dropping the overall yardage/time as well. The final week (only Mon/Tues) will be a pretty short 2-3000 yard day of easy stuff, with a few broken swims of sorts. Fly out Wednesday night, and race Thurs, Fri, & Sat.
    Thanks James & Stewart for the comments on taper. I am always interested to know about the experiences of other swimmers. I have this sense that if I do not keep some intensity I will lose the feel/confidence for the effort and pace. I was thinking to alternate the volume the last week towards something like 4k-3k-5k-3k-2k-race day.
    Tapers are really just a personal deal anyway. It really depends on how much (or little) you've been training, and what you're trying to acheive. I tried tapering 2 years ago prior to Mesa Nationals, but I didn't have enough base, and ended up losing all my endurance base. My races really paid for it severely!! This year, I know I'm training, and with my coach helping with the taper, things should roll nicely.
    My plan (as of now) is to swim normally until Friday, May 3rd then cut back drastically. I might start resting a day or two earlier. I'll make the decision based on how I feel then. I feel like if I start cutting back too early it could affect my 1650 endurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    My plan (as of now) is to swim normally until Friday, May 3rd then cut back drastically. I might start resting a day or two earlier. I'll make the decision based on how I feel then. I feel like if I start cutting back too early it could affect my 1650 endurance.
    Spoken like a true OW swimmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    That is a good taper plan. For OW and distance events I believe there needs to be a balanced approach so that one's endurance fitness is preserved but also the neural network is fresh for a certain state of sustained optimal neural coordination on race day.

I hope I will achieve that with my current taper, but I have learned from my training this year that I need to even more carefully balance the fitness adaptation along with the quality of neural coordination in swimming doing workouts with a mixture of quality sets, rest, slow technical swimming, etc.