View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Mellow Riverbank workout

Rate this Entry
This morning I swam at Riverbank with a friend. The kids team wasnít there, and it was remarkably uncrowded for abou the first 45 minutes of the session. (Then word must have gotten out). Hereís what I did:

1000 warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 IM d/s)

200 pull with paddles, build

5 x 300:
Odds FR pull with paddles
Evens ST/FR by 50s, with ST IM order
[On the 4th one I tried doing 20 sprint / 30 easy on the stroke parkómust have pushed a little too hard, had to get out and do my emergency inhaler.]

200 warmdown + play

Tomorrow Iím going to a local meetóthe Commissionerís Trophy Relay meet, which is a free annual event run by the NYC Parks department. It was the first local masters meet I attended when I moved to the city, so I have a soft spot for it and am glad I can attend this year. Back then, in 1994, it was held at Riverbank, which is only 4 ft deepóI canít believe we were allowed to do dives off blocks into that depth, but we were, and did. Now the meet is held at the lovely Flushing Meadows Aquatic Center, which was built for NYCís 2012 Olympics bid, and is where I go for diving practice.

When I signed several weeks ago, I chose to all four 50s, and Iím so very glad now I did. Then I was thinking sprints because I was excited about developing more strength and power with my lifting and diving, but now after being on a reduced workout schedule for a while Iím just happy I wonít have to swim more than two lengths at a time. Itís been a while since my last meet (since Iceland last May), and I was realizing as I was packing my bag for tomorrow just how out of practice I am at the whole getting-ready-for-a-meet thing. (Itís still far easier than preparing feeds for a multi-hour swim though!)

Submit "Mellow Riverbank workout" to Digg Submit "Mellow Riverbank workout" to del.icio.us Submit "Mellow Riverbank workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "Mellow Riverbank workout" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments