View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Over the Moon! Zones, Day 1

Rate this Entry
I was exceedingly glad I rested hard the last 4 days. I had a lackluster start, but from then on it was fast.

100 free, 58.4, Zones Record

This was a mediocre swim. I wasn't jazzed up to really really crank it with a relay soon after. I had a great start (9 SDKs) and took it out very conservatively given my concern with my 100 conditioning (28.0). Unfortunately, I only got a toe on my second wall, which stopped me dead in the water. Mollie said she say me stop dead/look splayed and wondered what happened as she zoomed by. This mistake demotivated me for my second 50, though I finished in 30.3. That botched turn cost me a good second, I'm sure. Definitely slower than my SCM 100 free from Dec. I've been frequently flipping too far from the wall in practice and I think this carried over to the meet. I've also never had fantastic flip turns since I race free infrequently. This is an item I really need to focus on. Mollie did point out to me that this time was a Zones Record, which did make me feel better.

Mixed 200 medley relay, 50 back lead off, 27.29

Our medley relay won overall with a 1:42. Our flyer went 22.0. Teen Fort split a 30 in evil and was happy. I was super pleased with my 27.29 leadoff, which is only .03 off my NR. I had a very good start. My only flaws were a bobble in my streamline on the second 25 and I was a bit too shallow (Yes, I hyper-analyze all technique aspects of my races.) I took fewer kicks on the second 25 since I was perilously close to a DQ on the second length at the Albatross meet. I did put in a split request on this swim in case anything goes awry at Nats.

50 fly, 25.90, NR

I had almost a 2.5 hour break until this event and two cups of java. I didn't even bother to get back in the pool to re-warm up. I knew it would be a tight race with Fall, Susan and Margaret (who all went sub 27). Fall and Susan didn't have a ton of rest after their 100 back. I was excited to swim, felt energized and just had a great feeling about the race before I swam. I wanted to win; I was dialed in. When I set the NR last spring of 26.3, I wondered if I would ever go faster. But I only took 7-8 SDKs off the wall at Greensboro. At the Albatross meet in March (where I re-set my SCM WR), I opted for 10-11 SDKs off the second wall and I did the same here. That is definitely faster for me, and I'll stick with that. I also hit my walls absolutely perfectly -- so very rare. But I was still shocked when I looked at the timing board. Just over the moon about this swim. It is actually faster than the 45-49 record done in a tech suit. This swim will be hard to ever replicate. I was a little surprised to go so fast in my third swim of the day. But I was rested and I always swim faster in the afternoon, which is when I work out.

Womens 200 free relay, 24.86 leadoff, PR/NR

Our free relay won too! I was very surprised by my time (put in a split request) because I was feeling tired. 4 events is pretty rare for me. I've been working on taking more SDKs on free too. I took 9-10 off the start; in the past I've done 4-5. My old PR in this event is from 2009 with a tech suit. I've beaten every other 50 tech suit time, but not this one. Adding SDKs was the ticket! I was almost startled when the wall came up so quickly. I will say that I took a good long look at the wall this time. Still felt like my flip turn was subpar. This is under the NR on the books of 24.91, but I saw a spanking new 50 year old swam a 24.80 in a Colorado meet. So I will need to go faster at Nationals. I really wish it wasn't the last event of a 3 day meet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thrilled with my day! And pretty pleased that my speed held up so well over 4 events. Feeling very tired now and am clad in compression gear. The couch beckons.

Submit "Over the Moon!  Zones, Day 1" to Digg Submit "Over the Moon!  Zones, Day 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Over the Moon!  Zones, Day 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Over the Moon!  Zones, Day 1" to Google

Updated April 20th, 2013 at 11:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Who's blog is this again???
    Nice job on Day #2!! (sprinter's never get the memo about Friday nights)

Awesome swimming!! You've beat me in the 50 Fly now...and you're and a lady.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job on Day #2!! (sprinter's never get the memo about Friday nights)

Awesome swimming!! You've beat me in the 50 Fly now...and you're and a lady.
    It's my day one. Just a bunch of triathletes on Friday.

Thanks. I never ever thought I'd see that fly time.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    It's my day one. Just a bunch of triathletes on Friday.
    Yeah, I saw their times and noticed they were hardcore winning the meet after Friday. Will anyone be able to catch them?

There were a few USMS folks who made it into Friday night's swims, and one in my age group went a blazing 16:something in the 1650.
    What an exciting first day! You are "The Super SDK Fortress". Congratulations on the records, best times and fantastic relays. In the end it comes down to what you like to do best and that is to race!!
    I've watched a lot of your races and this one was a work of art. Absolutely amazing. Great job Leslie! I used to think of you as the female Rich Abrahams. Now I think of Rich as the male Leslie Livingston.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    I've watched a lot of your races and this one was a work of art. Absolutely amazing. Great job Leslie! I used to think of you as the female Rich Abrahams. Now I think of Rich as the male Leslie Livingston.
    I need a like button for this comment!
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    What an exciting first day! You are "The Super SDK Fortress". Congratulations on the records, best times and fantastic relays. In the end it comes down to what you like to do best and that is to race!!
    Thanks! It was an exciting day. Hope I can sleep!
    Congratulations Fort

Being technically hyperanalytical is what it takes to be faster when you are already fastest.

Good luck today!
    Great work, and what fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Congratulations Fort

Being technically hyperanalytical is what it takes to be faster when you are already fastest.

Good luck today!
    Thanks.

Yep, I think sprinters have to be hyper-analytical about all the tiny details. I might be more than most, but it gives me things to work on in practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by ourswimmer
    Great work, and what fun!
    Thanks. It was a very fun day and one of my best days at a Zones meet in recent memory.