View RSS Feed

slick's shoulder surgery blog

grumble grumble

Rate this Entry
Well, I've got to suck it up and admit that I've overdone it.

Was feeling great so I ended up doing 5 workouts over 8 days, about 3600 average per practice. I was sorta feeling it during that 5th practice but I decided to push through since I had been doing so well the past week or so. I am paying for it now! Hot damn my shoulder is killing me! Very sore, feels like it is going to fall off again, etc. I threw in the goggles after 2000 yards last night.....so frustrating because I could feel that my shoulder was beyond fatigued but my cardiovascular system was still rearing to go. Bah! Was not expecting to hit another threshold so soon! Looks like I'll need to scale back for a while longer. I need to keep reminding myself that I'm just 6 months out at this point...what do I expect?

And I am supposed to race this weekend !!!!

The plan: Ice and medicate like hell and not swim at all until warm-up at the meet on Friday evening (not racing until Saturday). At least I now I am well acquainted with this feeling, and I know that rest is the only fix for it. Hopefully 72 hours out of the pool will do the trick. Hows that for a taper!? LOL

Submit "grumble grumble" to Digg Submit "grumble grumble" to del.icio.us Submit "grumble grumble" to StumbleUpon Submit "grumble grumble" to Google

Updated April 24th, 2013 at 01:43 PM by swimslick

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I empathise with your frustration as I can relate. Our joints rudely let us know when we are taking advantage of them

Sounds like a good plan to let it recover fully before the meet . What events do you plan on doing?
    Good luck at your meet
    I empathise with your frustration as I can relate. Our joints rudely let us know when we are taking advantage of them

Sounds like a good plan to let it recover fully before the meet . What events do you plan on doing?
    Good luck at your meet and take it cautiously
    Hi Steve! Thanks! I'm swimming the 50/100 free, 50/100 breast, and all 4x50 relays. I am hoping I can keep the intensity in check so I don't overkill the shoulder :/ I sandbagged my entry times pretty well so hopefully it works out!