View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:00-9:00pm

Rate this Entry
2 weeks from today (at this very time) I'll be in the airport in Seattle getting ready to head out on my overnight flight to Indy, via a stop in Chicago. My wife will be accompanying me on the trip, so she'll be bored. Swim meets are boring if you're not the one in them! She'll have plenty of entertainment for sure...I just need to keep Jim Thornton away from her, if he's there!

Taper time will be officially starting...or at least soon. Coach John told me today, that I'm just going to have to sort of manage my own taper within his workouts. He can't afford to change everything, or give me a lane to myself, and I understand that. I can get things figured out (I've read Chowmi's blog on how to do a Fast 50 when assigned a 200 Free after first giving an "oh hell no!")
I've already taken away my long fins, and all fins, altogether to begin resting my legs. I still do the kick sets that are given, but I just do modified distances to match the interval the kids are doing for their longer distances. I'll start a lot more wall hugging in the next week or so as well.

I'm tired and wiped out...good thing work is kicking my butt, so I'll have to figure out the resting part of this some other way. Gosh I wish sometimes I had a desk job!! But then I'd probably get bored and...

Warmup:

1000 Free
(1000/1000)

10 x 100 Kick w/ long fins @ 1:20
(I did 10 x 75 Flutter w/ board @ 1:20) held 1:10ish
(750/1750)

12 x 100 Free Pull @ 1:25 (held 1:03-1:05s)
(1200/2950)

Main Set:
8 Rounds of:
  • 200 IM, build by 50 so the FLy is EZ, and gradually gets harder to the Free is FAST
  • Take :15 rest
  • 1 x 50 Free AFAP
  • Interval is 4:00 for all the above...

After the first 2 rounds, I began skipping the Fly of the IMs, and just joined the guys on the backstroke

200 EZ
(1900/4850)

20 x 50 Free
5 @ :55, 5 @ :50, 5 @ :45, 5 @ :40
pretty much held them around :32/:33s
(1000/5850)

6 x 25 AFAP (Fly or Breast) I did Fly @ 1:00, cruised them around :15s
(150/6000)

300 EZ

-----------------------------
6300 Yards

Quite a bit of yardage, and that was even with subtracting out for what I skipped. THe whole practice was somewhere around 6800 yards or so. That's still chump change for the likes of KNelson though...

Submit "Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to Digg Submit "Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to del.icio.us Submit "Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:00-9:00pm" to Google

Comments

just going to have to sort of manage my own taper within his workouts
    So typical when you train with age groupers and train with non-competing Masters swimmers. Oh, I guess that I am one of them right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    So typical when you train with age groupers and train with non-competing Masters swimmers.
    For sure. My advice is don't feel bad for doing what you need to do (or NOT do).
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    For sure. My advice is don't feel bad for doing what you need to do (or NOT do).
    Don't worry, I won't. During the 200 IMs yesterday as I began dropping the fly away, Jared made a comment to me, something like "what, fly too hard for you now at your age?"

The hardest part is not knowing what is upcoming, and should I cut out part of this set, or wait to see what is next?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    So typical when you train with age groupers and train with non-competing Masters swimmers. Oh, I guess that I am one of them right now.
    I was feeling great back in late February and early March as the age groupers were all tapering for the Champs meet, and Sectionals and so on. I just need to repeat the types of things they were doing, and I should be ready to roll.
    Hardest part is trying to do that in the middle of standard sets, but I figure I can do something like every other one, brokens, etc. I figure the more I get in the way, the more happy everyone else will be!