View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 29 -Saturday(Taper week 2)

Rate this Entry
This was swum without my coach who was doing a lifeguard training session. I was given instruction to go about 4000-4500 with 80% effort with long good stroke. I felt ok it he water but still feeling the after affects of my head on collision with my team mate yesterday. Relative to others on here I know this sounds very trivial buti woke this morni feeling like I was out of alignment and had been hit by a Mac truck. I felt better once I was in the water but a couple hours late as I write this I am stiff and sore again.

Warm up
1000 swim with snorkel

Main set
5x400 pull on 6 mins building to #3 and easing off again.
10x50 on 45 with fins

Then I moved to the 25yd warmup pool and did
10x50 alternating finger drag and catchup drill by 50 on 45

Warm down
200 swum back free by 25

Total 3500LCM 700 scy

I went 4.55, 4.49,4.39,4.51,4.55 on the 400lcm and felt pretty good. Long and strong with minimal effort.

Submit "Week 29 -Saturday(Taper week 2)" to Digg Submit "Week 29 -Saturday(Taper week 2)" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 29 -Saturday(Taper week 2)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 29 -Saturday(Taper week 2)" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Don't worry, I feel like I'm hit by a Mack truck after most of my days at work. My taper is completely up in the air depending on what I end up doing or not doing at work. I wish it was the latter, because the money is better when I don't have to work as hard for it.
    I have read your blog before and it sounds like you have a very tough physical job. Also your late shift work must make it tough adjusting to competing during the day or early in the morning. Did I read it right that you are taking the red eye to Indy? I could not do that it would kill me. I dont fit very well in a plane and despite having to do it for work i dont like it all. I am feeling much better this evening after twisting my wife's arm to rubbing the knots out of shoulders and neck.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I have read your blog before and it sounds like you have a very tough physical job. Also your late shift work must make it tough adjusting to competing during the day or early in the morning. Did I read it right that you are taking the red eye to Indy? I could not do that it would kill me. I dont fit very well in a plane and despite having to do it for work i dont like it all. I am feeling much better this evening after twisting my wife's arm to rubbing the knots out of shoulders and neck.
    My normal work shift is early morning, 5 or 6am till 1:30/2:30pm, but my swim practices are generally from 7:00-9:00pm. Most of my tiredness comes from not getting enough sleep at night...it's kind of hard to get right to sleep after working out like we do!

I generally don't have a problem with competitions in the morning. But yes I am taking a redeye flight out from Seattle on Wed. night/Thursday morning. Luckily I'm only 5'9" so I fit pretty good in the seat. I'll be in Indy around 9:00am the morning of the 1650. Shouldn't be a problem. I was able to sleep well on my last redeye flight when we took our trip to El Salvador.
    I got that wrong didn't I? I definitely understand the challenges of sleeping after a long workout. You are a brave man with the overnight flight and I hope the red eye is uneventful and you get to Indy rested and ready to race!
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I got that wrong didn't I? I definitely understand the challenges of sleeping after a long workout. You are a brave man with the overnight flight and I hope the red eye is uneventful and you get to Indy rested and ready to race!
    Anything to save a few bucks of course!! Flying west to east is easier to go redeye IMO. You end up losing so much of the day that it's almost a wasted day, so why not sleep for a majority of the flight during normal sleep time?
    I'm ready for Indy...just need to figure out my way to the pool from the airport. Taxi maybe. I don't know if I can use the hotel shuttle since I'm not officially checking into the hotel till that night. ???