View RSS Feed

Maple Syrup with a Side of Chlorine

04/27/13: Monumental Masters Mini Meet (2nd Annual)

Rate this Entry
Well, months of planning and also some training came and went today as we welcomed swimmers to the local Rec Center pool for our 2nd meet, again dedicated to my mom. We had 34 preregister, one couldn't come, and added 5 same-day entries for a total of 38 swimmers! Last year we had 23, so I am really excited for the increase in numbers.

I got to the pool around 8:30 and helped with setting things up. People started trickling in and warmups began as scheduled at 9am. The local age group team, the Marauders, again did a great job of running the meet for us, providing timers and counters for the 50, and we had three officials altogether.

There was a large contingent from the Pittsfield Polar Bears, some from Smith Collge and also a team out near Blechertown, MA, and other unattached swimmers (Lisa Ann won the farthest distance traveled, coming from New Jersey). It was fun getting to meet new people that share my passion for swimming. My brother, Jeff, swam again - he swam from Springfield College but hasn't been in the water since then, save last year's meet, and looks fresh as a daisy swimming. Stinker! My wife also swam in her first ever meet, rocking out the 50 free and proudly proclaiming afterwards, "I did it, now don't ask me ever again."

In addition to meet director, I coached the three area swimmers that came (GregJS, Jill, and Kevin). Greg dropped time in the 100 free and blasted out a smoking 100 IM - great job again, Greg! Plus, he is a really good chef and made some delicious muffins for the food spread we had in the lobby for swimmers.

I was not sure what to expect myself for times, and I did the 100 breast with Dan during the women's heat so no one swam alone as a warm up for the 100 back. My goal was to SDK 8,7,6,6 off the walls, but only was able to get 5 on the last one as I swam 57.73. I did the 500 fly in 6:48.08, and the 100 fly in 58.72. I'll update the times when the results are official, but all of the these swims were masters best for me!

Lots of great help, a full pool (which is such a great sight to see), and some fun swimming on a gorgeous day made for a memorable event, complete with our signature 25 Sprint Challenges, the Monument Kick and Tarzan swims. Now for a nap! (I was also able to FLOG 2350 yds for the day)

Submit "04/27/13: Monumental Masters Mini Meet (2nd Annual)" to Digg Submit "04/27/13: Monumental Masters Mini Meet (2nd Annual)" to del.icio.us Submit "04/27/13: Monumental Masters Mini Meet (2nd Annual)" to StumbleUpon Submit "04/27/13: Monumental Masters Mini Meet (2nd Annual)" to Google

Updated May 7th, 2013 at 10:44 PM by rxleakem

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Congratulations Mike nice 1bk and1fl That500 fl wad kicking that's faster than I can free swim

That's cool you were able to encourage your wife to do a50free
    Nice going, and it looks like your meet is a hit. Just spread the word more throughout the year (try to get it on the LMSC website as well in advance) and maybe you'll crack 50 people or more next year!

100 Back - blazing time!
    That's a lot of hats (swim caps) to wear . . . But sounds like you filled all your roles more than successfully, plus hit some nice PRs in your own swims. Congrats!
    Thanks, guys! I enjoyed seeing those fast times, but was really psyched for my wife to hop in and swim. One of the swimmers is actually a writer for our LMSC newsletter and is planning a piece for an upcoming issue.
    That meet just had a really good vibe to it all the way around. Great job putting it on Coach Mike! I expect we'll see a lot of return swimmers next year, and then some. (And maybe by then Lena will have forgotten what she said and you can lure her back into the pool again!)

In the next few days I'll get the videos I shot online somehow. Could there be a way to link them to the blog here so others can see those great swims you had? That 100 back was poetry in motion, as usual; and the 100 fly looked great, too. And then there are a few excerpts of the 500 fly, which I'm sure people will enjoy.
    I'm not sure Lena will forget, so I'll be quiet for a bit!
    If you upload the videos to YouTube, I can put the links here