View RSS Feed

I swim, therefore I am

4-27-2013 USMS National 5K OW Champs Miromar Lakes

Rate this Entry
by , April 28th, 2013 at 08:36 PM (1619 Views)
It was a beautiful day, and the lake was just awesome to swim in. In the 2012 version of this 5K OW swim there were about 50 masters swimmers, and for the 2013 USMS National 5K OW Championhips the participation list was over 120. While not a large OW event compared to major metro areas, it was a very good interstate draw for this area. My family and I took a trip to see my uncle in the Keys afterwards, so I was not able to make the event report until now.

I placed 2nd in masters men 55-59 and 20/65 overall of masters men. While the head wind on the longest length of the course was a factor for all of us, I somehow just did not have the same kind of energetic swim I had last year, as my arms ached during the most of the first two laps. Several spectators said I made a strong effort on the third lap passing 8 swimmers in the last half of the final lap. One of my occasional training partners who is in the 40-44 age group that I tend to be slightly faster in LCM 100/200 repeats in our workouts together at FGCU, swam this 5K about 6-7 minutes faster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	USMS-5KChamps55-59.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	7458
(left-right) Jim Stewart was the winner, followed by myself, Wayne Hannum, Carlos Lloreda, R Walker

Honestly, I was slightly disappointed, but I am in participating in Masters Swimming for the long term and it is just one swim. It will all balance out by participating in more kinds of swimming events, enjoying what Masters Swimming has to offer in terms of training, friendships, and competitive opportunities. On reflection, there are some variables to consider that may have some minor significance between last year and this year's performance, but I am really not going to over analyze, rather just keep going forward from this point.

I really want to thank all you USMS forumites for such great encouragement and support, and who have helped me to become a better swimmer in the short time I have started training, blogging and participating in the USMS forums.

Submit "4-27-2013 USMS National 5K OW Champs Miromar Lakes" to Digg Submit "4-27-2013 USMS National 5K OW Champs Miromar Lakes" to del.icio.us Submit "4-27-2013 USMS National 5K OW Champs Miromar Lakes" to StumbleUpon Submit "4-27-2013 USMS National 5K OW Champs Miromar Lakes" to Google

Updated April 29th, 2013 at 08:13 PM by fdtotten

Categories
USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. ekw's Avatar
    Good swimming, Frank! It's too bad you felt less energetic than last year, but it sounds like you had a strong finish.
  2. StewartACarroll's Avatar
    Frank, you did great and your positive attitude is so inspiring. Things don't always go as planned but staying positive is key and you have lots of good things to look forward to. You will have an awesome Pan Am games. I tried finding the results yesterday but they did not seem to be posted anywhere I could find. What a great turn out and I am glad the weather was decent. Thanks for the update.
  3. Celestial's Avatar
    sounds like you did your best, for that day, anyway! Seems the older I get, the more perfect things have to be for a great swim . . . Water is too hot/cold, back/arms hurt, didn't get enough or slept too much . . . You swam faster than all of us who stayed home, that's for sure! Don't beat yourself with a stick, there's another race around the corner you can redeem yourself in!
  4. jaadams1's Avatar
    I agree with all of the above! You did great, and you're training reflects that. Being able to overtake that many other swimmers late in the race is good!
  5. rxleakem's Avatar
    Finishing strong in a 5k with such a large field is a great accomplishment. I still need to find a way to warmup more for my OW swims, as I also find some stiffness that does not hamper me so much in pool swims. Great job, and thanks for joining in the blogosphere with your encouraging presence.
  6. pwb's Avatar
    Frank, I know you're not as excited with the result as you wanted to be, but your focus on the long term future of this sport is spot on. I think it's great you get to do this race year after year, especially an OW race because every year brings different conditions and a different "you" to the race. Your times are going to vary, as will your places ... and, trust me, one year (hopefully more) you'll show up and feel like everything clicks into place.

    Rest & relax now for a few days.
  7. __steve__'s Avatar
    Excellent racing, especially for an off day

    Frank, wouldn't your age group be 955 - 959 for the 2913 USMS OW nationals?
    Updated April 29th, 2013 at 04:56 PM by __steve__
  8. joel schmaltz's Avatar
    Bravo Frank! Considering all of the variables in OW, I think you had an great day of racing. Keep your head up.
  9. swimsuit addict's Avatar
    Congrats on your swim. It takes some doing to finish up that strong when you've done so much swimming into a headwind. I hope you feel some pride about staying strong and focused on a day when everything wasn't clicking perfectly into place.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Congrats on your swim. It takes some doing to finish up that strong when you've done so much swimming into a headwind. I hope you feel some pride about staying strong and focused on a day when everything wasn't clicking perfectly into place.
    Yes!!!

    I can sympathize with how you are feeling as I had a pretty dreadful first day at nationals last year. It's s good test of our resilience to carry on. There are always more masters races!

    It sounds like you perhaps not rested enough?
  11. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    Good swimming, Frank! It's too bad you felt less energetic than last year, but it sounds like you had a strong finish.
    Thanks, I knew that Jim (55-59 age group winner) was a strong swimmer and had won the USMS 2012 3K National Champs, so my main goals for a strong swim, a better time, and to be competitive. In the end, even with my lackluster performance he was only about 2.5 minutes ahead of me.
  12. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Frank, you did great and your positive attitude is so inspiring. Things don't always go as planned but staying positive is key and you have lots of good things to look forward to. You will have an awesome Pan Am games. I tried finding the results yesterday but they did not seem to be posted anywhere I could find. What a great turn out and I am glad the weather was decent. Thanks for the update.
    At the finish, truthfully - I was upset and then went to warm down in the lake. There I made an effort to focus on what was most important and keep my head together. Then after the shower, etc., while waiting for awards, I talked with other swimmers how well they did and did not think about myself so much. After today's practice, I think that Pan Pacs will be fine, and I plan to do a full taper for that
  13. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    sounds like you did your best, for that day, anyway! Seems the older I get, the more perfect things have to be for a great swim . . . Water is too hot/cold, back/arms hurt, didn't get enough or slept too much . . . You swam faster than all of us who stayed home, that's for sure! Don't beat yourself with a stick, there's another race around the corner you can redeem yourself in!
    Good advice! I am just going to keep at it, and if sometimes the great swim happens, then that is terrific. I will always train/prepare for the great swim, but more so I am glad just to be doing it.
  14. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I agree with all of the above! You did great, and you're training reflects that. Being able to overtake that many other swimmers late in the race is good!
    I did feel good about that. Everyone was trying to draft, etc,. I tried also, but could not keep up after about 500 yards. Later about halfway, I shifted more to the right side of the buoy line so as I began to pass swimmers during the final lap, by the time they noticed me it was too late. Some swimmers tried to move over towards, but I would break away with a couple of quick bursts. I rounded the second to the last buoy with a roll over back turn really tight 90 degrees around and lost them for good. The remainder of the swim I chased down this guy about 100 yards ahead and could touch his heels as we got out to sprint for the land finish.
  15. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Finishing strong in a 5k with such a large field is a great accomplishment. I still need to find a way to warmup more for my OW swims, as I also find some stiffness that does not hamper me so much in pool swims. Great job, and thanks for joining in the blogosphere with your encouraging presence.
    Thanks, yes the warmup is really key, when you figure it out more, let us know. The USMS blogosphere is a great place because of you and many others. I Thank you.
  16. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Frank, I know you're not as excited with the result as you wanted to be, but your focus on the long term future of this sport is spot on. I think it's great you get to do this race year after year, especially an OW race because every year brings different conditions and a different "you" to the race. Your times are going to vary, as will your places ... and, trust me, one year (hopefully more) you'll show up and feel like everything clicks into place.

    Rest & relax now for a few days.
    It is good to read those words. All my life I have battled with being overly perfectionist and over the years have finally settled down more in that way. But still, after the swim, I had to take time to get my mental state in order. I agree with all that you said, and will participate again and again.
  17. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    Excellent racing, especially for an off day

    Frank, wouldn't your age group be 955 - 959 for the 2913 USMS OW nationals?
    Now that think about it, you're right, it was good that even in not one's best day to make a race of it somehow. Thanks for reminding me! As far as I know my 2013 OW Nationls age group was 55-59, and if 2913 it is 955-959, that would be good too! OOPS! typo... Good job Steve, you passed the headline editing test! Now you can be an editor...
    Updated April 29th, 2013 at 08:16 PM by fdtotten
  18. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joel schmaltz
    Bravo Frank! Considering all of the variables in OW, I think you had an great day of racing. Keep your head up.
    Thanks, I feel more positive about everything now. I am also glad that even with my over all lukewarm performance I was able to race part of it.
  19. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Congrats on your swim. It takes some doing to finish up that strong when you've done so much swimming into a headwind. I hope you feel some pride about staying strong and focused on a day when everything wasn't clicking perfectly into place.
    Actually now on reflection, I do feel more satisfied with the finishing effort. You are really correct about the headwind. The 2013 course was the reverse of the 2012 course where the head wind then was strong but not for long length, and then this time the headwind came just before the race started and continue to get stronger throughout the swim and it was during the longest length of each loop of the race.
  20. fdtotten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Yes!!!

    I can sympathize with how you are feeling as I had a pretty dreadful first day at nationals last year. It's a good test of our resilience to carry on. There are always more masters races! It sounds like you perhaps not rested enough?
    After the swim, and feeling disappointed I firmly told myself I would not let this get me down, moody, or diminish the hard work I have put in this year. I quietly vowed to show myself in Monday's (today) workout, that I am still in the game.

    As I thought about it, I have not been to any meets, and only two OW swims in about the year I have been training rather than lap swimming. While training and preparation is good, a swimmer also needs to go to meets and/or OW events to get better at that as well. There are many USMS swimmers like yourself who have trained and competed over the years gaining valuable experiences from every success and every difficulty. I am just beginning on my path.

    After today's workout, I think you are correct about not enough rest. I am doing 10 days for the Pan Pacs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast