View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Y swim

Rate this Entry
It seems I overdid last week in my “hurray-my-asthma-is-finally-better” flurry of exercise. The swimming in cold water on Friday did me in for the weekend, and now I’m back on an exercise-lite regimen, basically doing nothing that involves hard steady breathing until my lungs calm back down, It’s frustrating, but I’m trying to focus on doing what I can—weights, stretching, very light swimming or walking—while working on being patient and staying hopeful that things will improve. I’m seeing my doc tomorrow to get more advice on how to proceed.

I did get in an easy swim at the Y this morning. It seemed like a good chance to try out my new Agility paddles—I had ordered some after reading everyone else’s raves about them here. After trying them on, I was pretty skeptical about being able to keep them on my hands during a relaxed recovery—I can slide the paddles on without touching the sides of my thumbs, and I didn’t see what would keep them from sliding off the same way once a hand was upside down in the air. Pondering a fix, I tried wrapping layers of athletic tape around the thumb-hole of the right paddle, using enough to make some friction between my thumb joint and the paddle, but not enough to make it a tight fit. I left the left one unadorned, so that I could try them both ways, and brought my similarly sized (0.5) Strokemaker paddles too so that I could play around with different combinations. Here’s what I did:

1000 easy warmup (400s, 200k, 200p, 200 IM d/s)

16 x 25 swim with paddles, using different combinations

4 x 25 streamline as far as possible + swim

200 IM kick no board, working streamlines and posture

2 x 25 streamline as far as possible + swim

4 x 75 (25 plank kick with board + 50 kick + armstroke, focusing on tight core)

2 x 25 streamline

200 easy

The verdict on the paddles: I didn’t have any trouble keeping them on during the underwater portion of the stroke, but that’s probably because I was just doing 25s and focusing on technique. I think they’d probably be useful doing longer sets—I know I tend to splay my left hand out to the side too far on my catch once I get fatigued, and I think they would give me some feedback on that. They seemed to provide about the same or even a little less resistance than the very small strokemaker paddles I’m used to using—when I used the strokemaker on my left hand and the agility on my right it seemed fairly balanced. The tape narrowing the thumbhole did indeed help with keeping the paddle on during the recovery—the left-hand paddle came off on many lengths, or rotated 180 degrees from my palm (like a book opening) so that there was no easy way to get it back into place at the beginning of my stroke. I could keep this from happening by gripping the paddle in various ways on the recovery, but that felt awkward, and I liked the tape solution on the right-hand paddle better. (Does anyone have any other suggestions?) I’ll keep working with these and see how it goes. And once I master them I might want to try the mediums—I was right between sizes on the hand-chart, so went with the smalls for my first pair.

Submit "Y swim" to Digg Submit "Y swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Y swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Y swim" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Sorry to hear about your bout with Asthma, that's too bad not being able to workout for a few days. At least you're able to do something now.

Thanks for your feedback on the agility paddles too. Paul told me that I have a pair waiting the next time I show up to workout (hopefully today), and I'm interested how they'll feel. I tried them once last year and liked them. I've used TYR Catalyst paddles for years (I think I bought them in 1999) and love them, but he keeps telling me to try the others, so I will.
    Swimsuit, I will be in NYC from May 30(Thursday) to June 2(Sunday). I will be staying at Hotel 57 in the city. I know the Vanderbilt Y is near my hotel. Where do you swim? Are any of the pools, like Red Bank, close to my hotel?

Thanks!
    Wook
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Sorry to hear about your bout with Asthma, that's too bad not being able to workout for a few days. At least you're able to do something now.

Thanks for your feedback on the agility paddles too. Paul told me that I have a pair waiting the next time I show up to workout (hopefully today), and I'm interested how they'll feel. I tried them once last year and liked them. I've used TYR Catalyst paddles for years (I think I bought them in 1999) and love them, but he keeps telling me to try the others, so I will.

Thanks! I'll look forward to seeing what you think of the paddles.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Swimsuit, I will be in NYC from May 30(Thursday) to June 2(Sunday). I will be staying at Hotel 57 in the city. I know the Vanderbilt Y is near my hotel. Where do you swim? Are any of the pools, like Red Bank, close to my hotel?

Thanks!
    Wook
    Hey, that's great! The Vanderbilt Y probably is the most convenient pool to your hotel, but my home YMCA pool, the West Side Y (West 63rd between Central Park West and Bway) would also be walkable from there (and it would be a lovely walk too, meandering through the lower part of Central Park). Let me know if you want to swim there during your stay.

Riverbank
    is not terribly convenient to your hotel, but it would be doable (N/Q/R train to Times Square, then 1 train up to 137th, then walk west a block to Riverbank State Park). The pool is set up LCM in the mornings, and with its $3 admission is probably the best deal in Manhattan.

But . . . the VERY BEST place to swim around here on Saturday June 1 will be the Hudson River near Poughkeepsie, as part of the 2 Bridges swim (2.5K or 5K). It's an afternoon race, and the MetroNorth train will take you right there and back from Grand Central Station. Very convenient!