View RSS Feed

Grandma Got Run Over By A Swim Team

4/29/13 RANT

Rate this Entry
Today started off really well. Had a nice workout, just kinda getting back in the swing of things after taking two days off. One of our teammates, Cecilia Williams, was FIRST in the Miromar Lakes OW swim that JRTotten was in this past weekend - way to go Cici!! She's a rising star & we all expect to see her on the Olympic team in four years - at least on a relay.
After practice , the three masters who pay to swim with the kids (me & two others) were told that if we want to swim more than the measly hour that ATAC gets in before the kids go to school, we will need to pay an extra $4 (the usual entry fee). WHICH IS RIDICULOUS!! Apparently someone complained that we were taking up too much lane space. Some people think they need to have an entire 50m lane for themselves & don't want to share, so they complained about the three of us swimming past 6:30am. I am so ticked off in so many ways, I could hardly think straight this morning. For starters, two of the three of us already pay for an annual pass (an additional fee on top of the ATAC fee) For seconders, there are empty lanes in the pool not occupied by ANYONE. And finally, the three of us stay in the same lane, so it's not like any of "them" are going to want to get in our lane anyway! They can't kick me or Jenna out - we already pay the stupid extra fee because sometimes we come at times when ATAC isnt practicing. But the idea of them complaining about us taking up lane space is just so irritating. Today, in my lane during ATAC practice, we had 9 people. The other 4 ATAC lanes had a minimum of 7 people. The other 5 lanes in the pool had 2 a piece. If you base the amount we pay for swimming, our $75 fee, plus the annual pass, multiply that x 9 people, and our lane is worth about $900/month. Compare that to say, 2 people/lane at $4 each, the "adult swim" lanes are worth $160/month. How is it then, that THEY get to kick US out of the pool? They already get to determine the pool temperature, sit on our lane lines and break them, and force us to park farther from the pool (yes, it's true - if you are a member of the swim team, no matter how old, you must park in outer darkness, and leave the closer (non-handicapped) parking for every one else. The Bitch & Moan Club is getting on my last nerve. I wish I could win the Power Ball & come up with 100 million semoleons so I could build a pool specifically for the swim team & keep those complainers out of "my" pool.
Anyway, workout today, which was nice until ruined by the above.

800 back/free
2 x 400 P
200 over under
9 x 100 breast/free on 1:40
100 easy
500 drill w/snorkel & fins
10 x 50 K on 1:00
500 various
Total:4500 LCM

Feel like finding a tennis ball & slamming it into the wall a few times right now.

Submit "4/29/13  RANT" to Digg Submit "4/29/13  RANT" to del.icio.us Submit "4/29/13  RANT" to StumbleUpon Submit "4/29/13  RANT" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wow, that is ridiculous. Maybe breaking down the numbers for them would help?
    I'm behind you 100%. You go in there kickin' @ss first...and I'll be right there behind you (virtually)!!!

I don't get it either. My YMCA is basically the same way. Swim team in a 25 yard pool we're swimming 4-6 or more per lane at times, with the older kids, having to leave :03 apart rather than 5 like normal. We manage, yet I watch the lap lanes during my son's lessons, and they can't hardly operate with SPLITTING the lanes. God forbid a 3rd person shows up. And 4!!!....oh boy!
    Do you ever wonder how it is that someone could even get the idea that such a suggestion is reasonable? I know you are mad as he$$, but if you think about it, it is so far from reasonable that it is absolutely hilarious! Really, they are essentially asking you to pay them to use the pool. Money usually talks. If the management will listen you should be able to shut this down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Do you ever wonder how it is that someone could even get the idea that such a suggestion is reasonable? I know you are mad as he$$, but if you think about it, it is so far from reasonable that it is absolutely hilarious! Really, they are essentially asking you to pay them to use the pool. Money usually talks. If the management will listen you should be able to shut this down.
    Yes, write a letter to management. I hate noodlers too. I went yesterday and was greeted with the information (from a noodler) that the pool water was "back to a reasonable temperature" after more noodler complaints. Sigh. Some people have nothing better to do in life than b*tch & moan constantly.