View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 30 - Wednesday(Taper week 3)

Rate this Entry
Today I felt sluggish. Taper blues as my coach called it set in. My times were ok but I just felt slow. After practice we discussed the last week of my taper and what he was looking for from me. I felt pretty pumped up after the discussion and can't wait for next week.

Warm up
1000 swim with snorkel

Main set
3x500 on 6 mins, #1 6 beat kicking, #2 pull with paddles breathing every 5, #3 even splits at 85-90% effort
100 easy
6x100 kick with fins on 1.20
12x100 descending 100s by 25 on 1.25 holding 1.03-1.05 pace

Warm down
200 swim with snorkel perfect stroke

Total 4600yds

I went pretty easy on the first and second 500s and went about 5.30 pace. The last one I had trouble hitting my turns right and ended up too close on quite a few which definately slowed me down. I went 5.14 and felt pretty bad. Not tired bad just no umphh. I felt much better on the 12x100s and built to about 85% and held 1.03s on all of them. Despite the feeling of no umphh the taper is coming along nicely and I will be ready to race next week.

I tried my race suit on yesterday and it's a little loose(i can still wear it but it went on way too easy) so I ordered yet another competition suit. This time I made sure I went with a tight suit and ordered a speedo fastskin3 size 28(sr4). I believe my Nike Hydra will be fine to race in and in some ways it's nice to have two suits since I have two races on Saturday and Sunday and wearing a dry suit can't hurt.

I suspect those going to Indy are like me and getting excited!

Submit "Week 30 - Wednesday(Taper week 3)" to Digg Submit "Week 30 - Wednesday(Taper week 3)" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 30 - Wednesday(Taper week 3)" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 30 - Wednesday(Taper week 3)" to Google

Updated May 1st, 2013 at 10:25 AM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I'm getting more excited for the trip to Indy now. Tapering via not swimming at all a few days this week. Just the way things go when you have a big festival in town that shuts down everything for it. Plus I took my kids to the carnival down on the river last night as well. I'll get in swimming tonight and Thursday, then be off for the weekend, and swim again very lightly on Monday/Tuesday. Fly out Wed. night and race time!
    Now to just keep at my work schedule. Only have 6 -10 hour days a week currently. Hopefully we don't get upped to 12's!!! YIKES!! It was mentioned...
    There are something's you just have to do or you will regret it and hanging out with your kids is one of those. Good for you, I hope you had a great time. I hope work does not ruin your taper. That's something you just can't control.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    There are something's you just have to do or you will regret it and hanging out with your kids is one of those. Good for you, I hope you had a great time. I hope work does not ruin your taper. That's something you just can't control.
    Nah, work won't ruin my taper. I consider it my everyday dryland/weights that I just can't drop off like most do at taper time. I stay plenty strong with what I do, though it is tiring at times. That is the worst part, but at least I'll get to sleep on the redeye flight over to Chicago and then Indy prior to the 1650.
    I haven't let go of my great fuel source either: fast food (it is my secret to swimming fast). The Cool Ranch Taco Supremes at Taco Bell are worth it...among other things too.