View RSS Feed

Pete's swim blog

05.01.13 - Wednesday workout

Rate this Entry
Swam w/ Dave, Dave and Danny. Felt cruddy last night and skipped dinner. Expected a bad day at the pool but it wasn't too terrible. My back does hurt though. I played a little GK w/ my U19 team last night but I didn't think I pushed all that hard. Must have tweaked something the wrong way. It didn't bother me in the pool but it sure does when I walk.

SCY

800 Warm up

8 x 50 - :45, descend to 1000 pace
Rest
800 Timed - 10:00, Open turns @ 200s (2:28, 4:53, 7:20, 9:42)

8 x 25 - :40, odds catch-up, evens stroke
400 kick, odd 50s IM Order, even 50s choice

850 Timed pull - 10:00, Open turns @ 200s (2:12, 4:32, 6:50, 9:05)
Missed the time at the final 50. Tried to hold 2:15s but got sloppy on some turns and went out way too fast on the first one.
1:00 Rest
8 x 25 - :40, odds catch-up, evens stroke
400 kick, odd 50s IM Order, even 50s choice

200 Timed IM Kick - 3:18 <- might be a personal best for me

12 x 50 - 1:00 IM Order
1:00 Rest
100 IM Timed - 1:13.5

200 Cool down

(5550 Total)

Submit "05.01.13 - Wednesday workout" to Digg Submit "05.01.13 - Wednesday workout" to del.icio.us Submit "05.01.13 - Wednesday workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "05.01.13 - Wednesday workout" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

This is random, but: Can you by any chance think of a restaurant with a menu appealing to a wide audience including a few vegetarians and able to provide a gluten-free meal that has a group function room that's relatively close to the Von Braun Center?
    Wow! Gluten free and vegetarian. That's pretty much everything I don't eat. There are really only two restaurants close to the VBC. That would be Ruth's Cris in the Embassy suites hotel and Pane e Vino Pizzeria (http://www.paneevinopizzeria.com/ - they have gluten free pizza) in the Art Museum. If your group isn't opposed to about a 1 mile walk, there are a couple restaurants around the courthouse square like the Cotton Row Restaurant (http://cottonrowrestaurant.com/) or Papou's (http://papouhsv.com/ - not sure about gluten free). There are a couple of bar and grills around downtown also but I doubt they will be gluten free and probably not vegetarian.

Outside of that, you will probably need to hop in a car. The Olive Garden isn't too far west on University Drive. Past that is pretty much just fast food. To the south of the VBC/downtown is more fast food in the medical area. I only point this out because it has the closest and all-important Starbucks.

Its a few miles from downtown but Airport road between Memorial Parkway and Whitesburg probably has the largest selection of restaurants. You have Italian (Luciano's), Thai (Surin) and Mexican (Little Rosie's - Big Rosie's is further south and better). There's also chains like Outback, Ruby Tuesday and Logans. Not sure about the gluten at any of these but the chains are likely to have gluten free items.
    Thanks! I figured the odds were pretty slim but it couldn't hurt to ask. Fortunately dinner planning isn't on me for next year's convention. It looks like last time the convention was in Huntsville (2010) we went to someplace called Terranova's that I remember involved a drive (though not a terribly long one). I just hate having to drive someplace after a long day of convention-ing.
    Terranova's is out west near me. I've never eaten there. I prefer the greasy wings sports bar in the same shopping area. If you are going w/ Italian, Olive Garden is about half the distance and probably similar in what they offer. I think the best bet would be Pane e Vino. It looks like the menu would meet all the requirements and it is a short walk from the VBC. I've never been in the actual restaurant though and I don't know how much extra space they have. However, I do know that they have rooms in the museum that can be reserved for catered events.