View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

A cartwheel too far?

Rate this Entry
I had a day of total fun out at Brighton Beach today. It was a gorgeous sunny morning here, with air temps in the high 50s when we started out and in the high 60s by the time we called it a day. The wind was a little gusty, but that just made the unorganized swirly swells more fun to play in. It was a day for trying out new things—new suit (a two-piece, which I loved), new goggles (some Zoggs I got for free, which worked fine but didn’t top my regular goggles, so they’re Patty’s now), new post-swim tricks on the beach (more about that later).

Cara measured the water temp at 53. That felt waaay warmer than last week—funny how a few degrees can make a big difference--and getting in was not too difficult. The water was a deep green, with unpredictable swells and some odd foamy patches here and there. I didn’t want to push things today, so just swam gently towards the big jetty to the west. Right before I reached it, I saw a fellow CIBBOWS swimmer heading back, so swam with him for a bit before he headed in. I turned over and did some easy backstroke, swam a little ways east, practiced some synchro moves, and just generally enjoyed feeling the sun beaming down upon me while the water tossed me around. It was heavenly.

Eventually I got cold just floating, so swam a bit more, floated a bit more, then got out. I probably went only about three-quarters of a mile today, but that was enough to make me feel blissy and happy to be in the ocean again. A bonus to the short distance and warmer water temp was no shivering. I got dressed in all my layers, then lay down and let the sun work its warming magic on me.

We had a dozen or more people out today, so I chatted for a bit, then started playing around on the sand, doing cartwheels and handstands, and balancing on the rocks of the nearby jetty. A few others followed my lead, and we spent a good hour playing around and trying different tumbling, leaping, and balancing feats. We had a huge swath of beach mostly to ourselves, and it was like being kids on a playground again. His-Ling and John wowed us with their tandem balancing act, and I learned that Caitlin can juggle! I worked up to doing a round-off, which I hope will help me with learning a twisting dive tomorrow. Unfortunately, I tweaked my left hamstring a bit on my last cartwheel (which was why it was my last). It seems more flexibility would help in my quest to do “good” cartwheels on my off side.

No one saw the humpback whale that had been spotted a few miles away off the Rockaways a couple of days ago, although we all looked for it, during our swims and after. But that might have been the only magic missing from the glorious day in the sun. The weekends that we have the sand to ourselves are numbered—the official beach season will start in a few more short weeks—so it was nice to enjoy this lovely day with my swim buddies on the sand and in the water.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=7q1Y7...%3D7q1Y7Y9JQto

Submit "A cartwheel too far?" to Digg Submit "A cartwheel too far?" to del.icio.us Submit "A cartwheel too far?" to StumbleUpon Submit "A cartwheel too far?" to Google

Updated May 5th, 2013 at 10:54 AM by swimsuit addict

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

What kind of two piece? I have this idea that someday I am going to have killer abs which I will show off with a two piece suit.
    In the mean time,
    Yes, I waited far too long to try one out, for similar reasons. Then I found a pretty suit I like at athleta and decided to stop waiting. You can see it here: http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/4878240...37903/sizes/l/

Lots of the CIBBOWS women wear two pieces. They can be better during sea lice season, because fewer get trapped under your suit. I think 2-pieces outnumbered 1-pieces yesterday, at least among women.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Yes, I waited far too long to try one out, for similar reasons. Then I found a pretty suit I like at athleta and decided to stop waiting. You can see it here: http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/4878240...37903/sizes/l/

Lots of the CIBBOWS women wear two pieces. They can be better during sea lice season, because fewer get trapped under your suit. I think 2-pieces outnumbered 1-pieces yesterday, at least among women.
    Oooh, that is pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I think 2-pieces outnumbered 1-pieces yesterday, at least among women.
    hmm, how many men wore 2-pieces?

sorry to hear about your hamstring. hope it doesn't keep you out of the water, or away from the other things you've been doing. I keep a stash of Biofreeze for things like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    hmm, how many men wore 2-pieces?

sorry to hear about your hamstring. hope it doesn't keep you out of the water, or away from the other things you've been doing. I keep a stash of Biofreeze for things like this.
    Thanks, it's not too sore today--or maybe since I'm kind of sore all over from the unaccustomed activity, it just doesn't stand out as much as I feared it might. In any case, it didn't hamper me at diving tonight!

The bio freeze is probably a good idea. I have a million little samples of it from goody bags.