View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals 2013 - Part 2

Rate this Entry
I had a great nights sleep last night and woke feeling excited. I had some butterflies fluttering even before I left the hotel room, which for me is a really good thing. I did the 10 minute walk to the pool from my hotel which was very pleasant and arrived at the pool at around 6.45am. I swam in lane 4 and realized after about 100 that three of the people in my lane were on the Alexandria Masters team I train with when I am in Washington DC. It was great briefly catching up with Katie Gilmore who is going to do the 1650 later today. I did about a 1600 yd warmup and then got out and dried off before heading back to the hotel for a light oatmeal breakfast. I quickly repacked my competition bag with my meet suit and headed back to the pool.

I was in the last heat of the 1000 so had tonnes of time when I got back to the pool. I hate sitting around at meets so kept moving and about 45 minutes before my race did another warmup swim in the diving well. Indy is such a great facility for swimming with the two competition pools and the diving well, plus two other 25 yd pools for warmup/warm down. After my second warmup I again dried off and put on my competition suit and then basically stretched and stayed busy until my heat. I had checked out the heats for my competition and new the next fastest guy was in lane 1 in the heat before me. He posted a 10.39 which is a good time, but it was beatable.

I was pretty relaxed before the start, but could not get some condensation out of my goggles which was annoying. As the gun went off and I hit the water, the strap on my goggles moved significantly down my head, and as I went down the first length I was expecting my goggles to fill with water. Luckily my worst fear did not come true and my goggles stuck. After about 400 I started to feel pretty tired, but focused on long and strong strokes. After 700 I really started to hurt and the final 150 was pretty brutal. I noticed a few guys on the other side of the pool, but being in lane 8 it was hard to really see where I was and where they were. I think I overtook a couple guys on the second 500 but wish I was closer to the middle of the pool.

After finishing I looked up and swore I saw my time was 10.48, and I was really upset. Nicky who was my counter congratulated me and said I did great and that my time was 10.21. I double checked with the time keeper and she confirmed my time. I guess I had looked at the wrong lane. I had won my age group. I am a National Champion masters swimmer. I am so excited. I had hoped to swim faster than 10.20 but at this point I don't care. It gives me plenty of room to improve and train to improve, but I won!

I am going to head back over to the pool to catch the 1650 swims.

Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals 2013 - Part 2" to Digg Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals 2013 - Part 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals 2013 - Part 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals 2013 - Part 2" to Google

Comments

Stewart,

Congratulations on your swim and national championship!!!! Winning a national title is an awesome feeling, esp. if this is your first one!

When I won my first title, I was disappointed with the time but then I realized I won, that disappoint quickly went away.

Congrats again!
    Congratulations Stewart! After the first 100 you were a swimming machine at 31s per 50. This is just the beginning as you gradually build your base and racing endurance over several seasons, certainly you have significant potential to improve your times. National champion, way to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Stewart,

Congratulations on your swim and national championship!!!! Winning a national title is an awesome feeling, esp. if this is your first one!

When I won my first title, I was disappointed with the time but then I realized I won, that disappoint quickly went away.

Congrats again!
    Thanks so much Wookie. I just picked up the National Champion patch and the gold medal and I feel pretty pumped right now. It was definitely a nice way to start the meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Congratulations Stewart! After the first 100 you were a swimming machine at 31s per 50. This is just the beginning as you gradually build your base and racing endurance over several seasons, certainly you have significant potential to improve your times. National champion, way to go!
    Thanks for the kind words Frank. This has definitely motivated me to double down on my training and try to swim faster next year. I hope you are right about improving my base leading to getting quicker. I am having a lot of fun at the moment!
    Nice job!! You're looking forward to a great weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice job!! You're looking forward to a great weekend.
    James, great meeting you in person earlier. Your 1650 was awesome especially with the lack of sleep on the red eye flight. You will have an awesome day tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

I am really looking forward to the next 3 days of racing.
    Nice job today Stewart and nice to meet you!
    Great job champ! Swimming the perfect time is nice, but bring the national champ is way better and why we race. Kuduos
    Awesome!
    Congratulations, national champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Nice job today Stewart and nice to meet you!
    Thanks Kirk. It was great meeting you too. Your 1650 was pretty awesome too(National champ). Good luck today.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Great job champ! Swimming the perfect time is nice, but bring the national champ is way better and why we race. Kuduos
    I totally agree and yesterday felt great. I have 5 more races including a race with Kirk today and another with James tomorrow. This is so much fun! I hope you had a safe flight and look forward to meeting you in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    Awesome!
    Thanks so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Congratulations, national champion!
    Thanks Addict. Getting the medal and the National Champion patch was pretty awesome.
    Dinner is at 6 if you want to join! Hope to meet you today.
    congrats! what a way to kick off your meet!