View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals - Part3

Rate this Entry
I was pretty tired last night after the 1000 and when a rain storm came through around 6.30pm I decided to grab food at the hotel and have an early nights sleep. I fell asleep around 7.30pm and had a solid nights sleep waking at around 5.30am. I had a leisurely hour getting ready for the second day at the pool and ate breakfast around 7am and then took the 3-4 block walk to the pool.

Today had the 400 IM'ers starting followed by a break and short warmup before the rest of the days events. Long story short I had a lot of time this morning to do my 1600 yd warmup and then a shorter 1000 yd loosen up before my 200. Yesterday after my 1000 I had a pretty long talk with my coach and he asked me to trust him and take the 200 out in 24 on the first 50, and 52 at 100 and he felt I could bring it home swimming from the front. The 200 is my least favorite event. Over the years I have swum both slow and fast races in this one and on all occasions it just hurts. Typically my legs feel filled up with lead by about 150 and the last 50 is just brutal. Today was no different, but as my coach said I had enough to bring it home and I won in 1.49.47, touching out Morton Anderson who was reeling me in on the last 50. My splits were spot on what I was asked to swim and with some more fast endurance training I think I can drop significantly in this event.

It took me 30 minutes to loosen up after my race, but this one felt great. I have a tough day tomorrow doubling in the 500 and the 100. The 500 is my favorite event and based on today I think I can have a great 100. The key tomorrow will be getting a good long loosen up after the 500. I believe on the time line I will have about an hour between races and I am glad the 500 is first. I am ranked 4 in the 500 and there is a professional triathlete who is ranked first but has no times in the usms database. The 100 I am in the second fastest heat.

I am tired but I plan on heading back to the pool for another stretch and then will decide if I go to bed early or meet up for the forum dinner.

Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals - Part3" to Digg Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals - Part3" to del.icio.us Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals - Part3" to StumbleUpon Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals - Part3" to Google

Comments

Great 200. I was watching from the heat right after you, and you did pull off the win, by 0.04 which is all that matters!
    Thanks James. It was close, but I knew I had to go out quick to stand any chance on the 200. I died pretty hard but not as bad as I was expecting. I am looking forward to our 500 tomorrow. I hope we both have great swims. See you tomorrow.
    Outstanding 200. From what I saw, you have so much potential in that race considering you did 1:49 with mostly base training and some quality in your first competitive season as a masters swimmer. If you ever take a season and focus on the 100-200-500 getting your legs in shape, strengthen your underwater skills/fitness and build up that specific type of racing endurance, you might surprise yourself. One of the benefits of masters swimming you can train for different and specific kinds of goals by season or by year.
    I was able to watch you swim the 200 online - excellent execution and so powerful to watch!
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    Outstanding 200. From what I saw, you have so much potential in that race considering you did 1:49 with mostly base training and some quality in your first competitive season as a masters swimmer. If you ever take a season and focus on the 100-200-500 getting your legs in shape, strengthen your underwater skills/fitness and build up that specific type of racing endurance, you might surprise yourself. One of the benefits of masters swimming you can train for different and specific kinds of goals by season or by year.
    It will be interesting to see how I handle the 500 and 100 today. My coach wants to sit down after Nationals and work on next years goals. I would like to spend more time with the kids this summer so will probably only do mornings, but will ramp back up again in the fall. My coach wants to break my stroke down and work on my leg strength and kicking. I tend to 2 beat kick and he wants 6 beat. Also my turns are pretty sloppy especially when I am tired so working on these is really important. I like your suggestions. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    I was able to watch you swim the 200 online - excellent execution and so powerful to watch!
    Thankyou for the kind words. I really appreciate the support.