View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals - Part 4

Rate this Entry
I went for a stretch swim last night and came back to the hotel tired. I decided to have a early dinner at the hotel and go to bed early. I had a good nights sleep but woke this morning with a sore throat and some sniffles. I don't know if I have a cold or allergies and i don't feel sick.

Today was not such a good day and my 500 was disappointing. I took the race out ok on the first 200 and then just did not have anything left. I have been working on bringing my 500 home and it just did not happen today. No excuses it was just not my day in the 500. I ended up going 5.02 and finished 3rd in my age group. I honestly think I have a lot more in the 500 and I will train even harder for this one.

There was about an hour gap between the end of the 500 and my heat of the 100. I took a long warm down after the 500 and tried getting myself in a good frame of mind for the 100. I had a good start but my first turn was not very good, but despite this I kept pushing hard and brought my second 50 home. I had hoped to go under 50 , but touched in 50.20. I think this is another race that could have been better and I think my seed time was probably a handicap. If I had been in the fastest heat I think I could have gone quicker, but I can't change what I did and this was a solid swim. My time placed me 5th in my age group.

Tomorrow is a fun day swimming off events. First up is the 100 back which I have not done since 1992 and then I have the 50 free. I will do a no breather on the 50 free and see what I can do. I have had an awesome time so far and plan on finishing the meet with some fun racing and a smile on my face.

Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals - Part 4" to Digg Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals - Part 4" to del.icio.us Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals - Part 4" to StumbleUpon Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals - Part 4" to Google

Updated May 11th, 2013 at 05:25 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Nothing to hang your head about in the 500. In Austin in 2008 I was having the kind of meet you're having and thought for sure I'd get under 5:00 in the 500 free, but it was toward the end of the meet and I was just out of gas. Couldn't bring it home in the last 50 and ended up at 5:00. It's gotta be the same kind of thing for you. Third day into the meet takes it's toll! Unfortunately the 500 free seems to be on Saturday or Sunday almost every year.
    I think you are right. It was not a bad swim I just did not have any energy. The great thing is its something to motivate me and train even harder. Thanks for the encouragement.

Happy birthday by the way. I assume you had a good uneventful flight home?
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Nothing to hang your head about in the 500. In Austin in 2008 I was having the kind of meet you're having and thought for sure I'd get under 5:00 in the 500 free, but it was toward the end of the meet and I was just out of gas. Couldn't bring it home in the last 50 and ended up at 5:00. It's gotta be the same kind of thing for you. Third day into the meet takes it's toll! Unfortunately the 500 free seems to be on Saturday or Sunday almost every year.
    Seems about right to me. It's hard to nail every race at nationals.

Thanks for popping by to meet me after 50 fly! Keep up all the great training.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Seems about right to me. It's hard to nail every race at nationals.

Thanks for popping by to meet me after 50 fly! Keep up all the great training.
    It was great meeting you too. Sorry it was short and sweet. Your 50 fly was one of the most incredible swims I have ever seen. Your under waters are amazing. Totally incredible. Really nice job.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    Happy birthday by the way. I assume you had a good uneventful flight home?
    Thanks. It turned out to be uneventful. My flight out of Indy was delayed and I had a very tight connection in Denver. I sprinted to get to the gate and onto the plane only to wait for another 15 minutes for others to board from connecting flights!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Thanks. It turned out to be uneventful. My flight out of Indy was delayed and I had a very tight connection in Denver. I sprinted to get to the gate and onto the plane only to wait for another 15 minutes for others to board from connecting flights!
    That's what I was hoping for, but we ended up with about 2 1/2 hours between flights in Chicago. Good thing I had my portable DVD player with us...Sandra and I caught a movie.

Stewart - you did just awesome this weekend! Nothing to be dissappointed in at all. Great meeting you, and I only wish I could've given you a better race in the 500, but you're a few steps ahead of me, along with quite a few inches above me!