View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Indy, Day 2

Rate this Entry
Had a fantastic time at the form/stalker dinner last night, meeting lots of new folk. One of them (same age) actually has a son the same year same college as Fort Son. Small world. Had a semi decent nights sleep for a traveling insomniac. The only am emergency was that Teen Fort lost a contact in the am and hadn't brought any replacements. Ack. I've learned the hard way to pack extras after swimming a one eyed day at Zones one year. In any event, I had a great day two and am so excited I fear I wont fall asleep.

50 fly, 25.70, NR/PR

I really thought that I would not swim faster than Zones where I had perfect walls. In fact, I had a wager on it. But I decided to use my nose clip for the first time in fly and took an extra kick on the second length. That and a little more rest allowed me to shave off .2. I did have a slight glide at the turn. The ever witty Ellen took a vid (thx!) and I counted 13 strokes. I didn't quite take the whole 30 meters UW, but was fairly close. Comparing vids, I can see my DPS has improved in fly since Greensboro; it felt long and powerful. Very happy about that swim.

100 IM, 1:02.3, PR

I hadn't swum the 100 IM in SCY in 2 years and never at nationals, so was a tad nervous. But very caffeinated! I missed the NR by .2 and it was all in my breast to free turn. I glided in and then, brain fart, didn't SDK off the wall. Maybe my legs where telling my brain they were done. I wanted at least a body length lead at the 50, and went out n 27.7 (12 + 12 SDK). Fast, but it didn't feel excessive. Did not have a particularly speedy evil leg, and lost some ground there to a real evilstroker. But my free leg was fairly solid and I pulled away a bit at the end. So psyched about the time! A PR by 2 seconds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Really hoping for some sleep tonight. Tomorrow 100 back and 50 free. It could be the first nationals ever where I don't scratch an event. . The speedy Water Rat beat me to it!

Submit "Indy, Day 2" to Digg Submit "Indy, Day 2" to del.icio.us Submit "Indy, Day 2" to StumbleUpon Submit "Indy, Day 2" to Google

Updated May 11th, 2013 at 10:46 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

It could be the first nationals ever where I don't scratch an event. .
    With the way you're swimming, there is no reason to scratch.

I've got to watch my back on the 50 fly.

Leslie, I know you are a sprinter and a 200 sounds like a mile, but I'd really love to see you train for a 200 SCY or SCM IM some season. I think you'd surprise yourself with how fast and how well you'd hang on.
    Congrats on another outstanding day!!! I agree with Pwb. I think you would rock a 200 IM.

What do you contribute your improved DPS in your strokes too?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb

Leslie, I know you are a sprinter and a 200 sounds like a mile, but I'd really love to see you train for a 200 SCY or SCM IM some season. I think you'd surprise yourself with how fast and how well you'd hang on.
    I'll give a +1 to that last statement!

Amazing swims Leslie. Too bad I missed seeing them in person. I did watch it on Ellen's video posting though. FAST! I'm not challenging you to any 50s either, unless you want to race the 50 Breast or 50 Free maybe.

It was great meeting you in person, and being able to see what you talk so much about...SDK power.
    Wow! Great swimming. I realize you have one more day in the tank, but your accomplishments thus far are deserving of raves. I trust you are having a blast and enjoying every second (or dare I say tenth-second?) at Nationals. I have Indy envy.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb

A scratch free nationals it is!

Patrick, I swam the 200 IM almost every meet of my age group life!!! It was one of my best events. But I have no aerobic base and wonder if I could really get it back after my 24 years out if the pool. All the 200 IM studs have been swimming masters forever. Plus, you do realize there are two entire lengths of the evil? I still have work to do in the 100 IM ( and other 100s).
    Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee
    Congrats on another outstanding day!!! I agree with Pwb. I think you would rock a 200 IM.

What do you contribute your improved DPS in your strokes too?
    Thanks Wook! I work on DPS pretty regularly on technique days. And I've been regularly using the agility paddles. Wrt fly, I've been trying to avoid spinning with a too fast turnover and focusing on a longer more powerful stroke. I can tell the difference in my vids from Greensboro and Indy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I'll give a +1 to that last statement!

Amazing swims Leslie. Too bad I missed seeing them in person. I did watch it on Ellen's video posting though. FAST! I'm not challenging you to any 50s either, unless you want to race the 50 Breast or 50 Free maybe.

It was great meeting you in person, and being able to see what you talk so much about...SDK power.

Honestly, I think I can still improve my 100s.

You've been doing so much SDK work, you can try going 30 m in fly or back!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaegermeister
    Wow! Great swimming. I realize you have one more day in the tank, but your accomplishments thus far are deserving of raves. I trust you are having a blast and enjoying every second (or dare I say tenth-second?) at Nationals. I have Indy envy.
    Thanks Tom! This was my best day of the meet. Having a blast. Hope you rejoin us one of these days! We miss you.