View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals 2013 - Part5

Rate this Entry
Saturday night I went out for dinner with my team mate Nikki and her mother. We went to the Webergrill restaurant downtown Indianapolis and despite an hour wait the food was well worth the wait. For future reference and events in Indy I would recommend the restaurant.

I had a really solid nights sleep and woke around 6am. I went through my normal morning routine of reshaving, brewing and drinking coffee and taking my vitamins. I then headed down stairs and had a nice leisurely breakfast of oatmeal and a bagel. I headed off to the pool later than usual and caught the last 4 heats of the women's 500 at around 9am. My friend Katie Gilmore with Alexandria masters swam an incredible race and ended up taking second in a blazing quick time of 5.06.

Today was my off race day and I had zero expectations for placing. First up was the 100 back followed by the 50 free. I had not swum a fast 100 back since 1992 and despite the odd back swim in practice(which are not swum all out) I have not swum the race at all. The 50 was never my thing and I don't recall the last race 50 and I bet it may have been back in the 1980s.

I did my normal warmup of about 1600 but did back 100s instead of my normal pace 100 frees. I practiced my turns and even joined the start lane and did a practice back start. After getting out and drying off I heard the start of the relays and only then realized I had not done a back finish and did not know the number of strokes from the flags in. Oops! In the end it did not matter because I had a great race, hitting all my turns, and taking four strokes into the finish and hitting the final wall spot on. My splits were 28.x, 29.x for a final time of 58.4. I felt really energized at the end and felt like I could have done another 50 at that pace. I am now determined to do a 200 back at some point in the future. I can definitely say I have not done one of those in an even longer time frame.

After the back, I took a nice long warm down which felt good. I got out wrestled my speedo fastskin3 on and then spent about 45 minutes stretching and focusing for the 50. I had entered on the only 50 time I have done since joining masters which was back in January and at 25.14, was over a second slower than my first 50 of yesterday's 100, and even slower than the first 50 of my 200. I felt with a good start and turn I could do a 23.x. I concentrated on taking a good track start and I got off the block really strong with a good breakout. I was half way down the pool and shock and horror I breathed. It was not intentional, but I breathed. I hit the turn really well, had a good streamline, kicked and the next thing I knew I had taken a second breath. I could not believe I had breathed. When I finished I was really upset at myself. I turned looked up and saw my time was 22.61. I had a moment of joy followed by that feeling of I could have gone even quicker. My time placed me 3rd, which I never ever would have imagined possible.

This meet exceeded my wildest expectations and my first place in the 1000 and third place in the 50 has to be one of the weirdest medal combos. I ended the meet with two golds, two bronzes, a fifth and an eighth. I would like to thank all the forumites for there support and encouragement since joining masters swimming. I am even more motivated to continue this fun masters journey. The most inspiring part of the week for me was seeing the 90 year old Vladimir Ouchaya's 20 minute plus 400 IM followed by a great 30 minute discussion with him about his life and how he quite smoking and took up swimming, competes regularly in his 90th year and has no intention of retiring any time soon. Swimming really is a life sport and my congratulations goes out to everyone who participated this week.

Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals 2013 - Part5" to Digg Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals 2013 - Part5" to del.icio.us Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals 2013 - Part5" to StumbleUpon Submit "Indianapolis Masters Short Course Nationals 2013 - Part5" to Google

Comments

Goes without saying but "Really great meet", and it will only get better with time and more meets. Congrats on surprising yourself!
    Kudos on your wonderful meet! I've enjoyed reading your reports of your swims.
    It was fun to watch your swims - congrats on a fast and fun meet!
    I wish I had seen your 50. I pulled it up on Meet Mobile shortly after you swam and I did a Keanu Reeves in the Matrix Whoa.

It was wonderful meeting you!
    I watched the video of our 200 free heat and I was impressed with your speed. You looked like you were racing. I looked like I was out for a walk in the park! And thank God for electronic timing. Visually it looked like a dead heat between you and Morten Andersen but obviously he clipped his fingernails and you didn't.

Great job all around!
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Goes without saying but "Really great meet", and it will only get better with time and more meets. Congrats on surprising yourself!
    Thanks Mark. Meets in my area seem like a rare breed. I was talking this morning with a few of my team mates and may do some usas meets next year to practice racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Kudos on your wonderful meet! I've enjoyed reading your reports of your swims.
    Thankyou for the kind words. I have found blogging quite theraputic and I am glad you enjoyed reading my ramblings. Thanks for the support.
    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem
    It was fun to watch your swims - congrats on a fast and fun meet!
    I really liked the live video feed. It allowed my own mother in England to watch. She phoned me up after the 200 in tears. For a minute I was worried, but soon realised she saw my race and her tears were the good kind.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I wish I had seen your 50. I pulled it up on Meet Mobile shortly after you swam and I did a Keanu Reeves in the Matrix Whoa.

It was wonderful meeting you!
    I definately surprised myself. It helps sometimes with zero expectations.

It was wonderful meeting you too Ellen. I look forward to catching up at the next one of these.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    I watched the video of our 200 free heat and I was impressed with your speed. You looked like you were racing. I looked like I was out for a walk in the park! And thank God for electronic timing. Visually it looked like a dead heat between you and Morten Andersen but obviously he clipped his fingernails and you didn't.

Great job all around!
    I felt like going out hard was the only way I would have a shot on the 200. Overall my speed was my biggest surprise of the meet. As I blogged ahead of the meet I seemed to get quick in the middle of my taper. I have always had good endurance but never really had speed(even back in the day). I saw Morten coming but I did not realise it was so close. It definately helps being tall on close finishes like that.
    Nice way to end your weekend...saving the "EZ" events for the final day! You had an excellent meet Stewart!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice way to end your weekend...saving the "EZ" events for the final day! You had an excellent meet Stewart!!
    I have to say that getting done with a race and not feeling out of breath or hurting was a new experience but that was my 50. I think there maybe something to training for distance and doing the sprints. I really really enjoyed the back and it was so much fun being back in the pool. Thanks for all the encouragement this year and I hope we get the opportunity to meet in the near future.