12 x 50 kick w/fins @ 200 pace @ 1:00
-- 6 free (35-36)
-- 6 back (36-37, cramping issues)
50 EZ
6 x 50 single arm fly @ 1:10
50 EZ
8 x 50 DPS back w/agility paddles & fins @ 1:10
50 EZ
2 x (25 scull + :30 RI + 25 smooth fly + 25 EZ flutter kick)
-- tried fly w/agility paddles, still very awkward (32)
-- fly w/o paddles, cruise (30)
100 EZ

Total: 3100 m

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Since Coach Cheryl (who I shared a lane with) said the pool would be LCM right after nationals, I wasted no time in going! It felt long, but not horrifically long. Still did a mostly recovery workout with nothing fast. Hopefully, I will be ready tomorrow for at least some 100 pace work.

Tips for improving breast collected from nats thread. Maybe I can work on these on a recovery/technique day.

1. evil kick on back, knees not breaking surface
2. eggbeater kick
3. evil kick w/buoy right above knees
4. breast pull w/flutter kick for turnover
5. breast alternate fly pull and evil pull (sounds awkward)
6. hip thrust -- no idea what this is about
7. narrower pull

Way way more importantly, Patrick insists I need to learn the back to breast crossover turn. I look at videos of these and get dizzy and confused. Does someone have a 5 step to do list for this turn? This is definitely something I can see trying to learn.

Submit "Long Course, Tuesday, May 14" to Digg Submit "Long Course, Tuesday, May 14" to del.icio.us Submit "Long Course, Tuesday, May 14" to StumbleUpon Submit "Long Course, Tuesday, May 14" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I "learned" that turn at The Race Club and immediately unlearned it after I left. It's dizzying and it costs alot of oxygen. I've watched vids on Youtube and it looks easy enough but it is unnatural at best when you first try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    I "learned" that turn at The Race Club and immediately unlearned it after I left. It's dizzying and it costs alot of oxygen. I've watched vids on Youtube and it looks easy enough but it is unnatural at best when you first try it.
    Yeah, I've always gone for "big air" on my back to breast turn after so many SDKs on fly and back. It doesn't look natural to me. It looks convoluted. I'm also picky about which hand I touch with, preferring the left.
    I've been in the process of learning this for the last few months. It is still awkward and I can only do it touching with my left hand. I think this has something to do with which way I'm comfortable rotating from my side/back to my belly. I love the extra O2 I get with the old turn but even my most awkward crossover turns are faster. Here's a video that breaks it down:
    The crossover turn mostly has to do with touching with your upper arm then ducking your head forward, which feels very unnatural at first.
    Thanks, that video was very helpful. It just seems awkward to be looking one way on your side but flipping your legs the other way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Barley
    ducking your head forward
    This is a good cue! Thanks Adam.
    For drill #5, we do it 1 right/1 left/1 breaststroke, with the right and left being single arm fly pulls. So it's kind of like a cut-down version of 3/3/3 fly drill, with the full stroke being breast instead of fly. Somehow on our team, it ended up with the name of "Carla drill". No idea why, but Muppet does it a ton, and he laid down a 1:10 low at Zones in the 100 breast, with no rest or taper. I think I'll be adding that back in to my drill rotation...
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmieAvsFan
    For drill #5, we do it 1 right/1 left/1 breaststroke, with the right and left being single arm fly pulls. So it's kind of like a cut-down version of 3/3/3 fly drill, with the full stroke being breast instead of fly. Somehow on our team, it ended up with the name of "Carla drill". No idea why, but Muppet does it a ton, and he laid down a 1:10 low at Zones in the 100 breast, with no rest or taper. I think I'll be adding that back in to my drill rotation...
    That sounds easier to do than the one Britta suggested. All breaststroke kick right? Carla drill sounds like Cross Fit!
    You can do it that way, or with fly kick on the fly arms. Just depends on how coordinated you are. I do it with matching arms and legs, cause I get too out of sync with mixing them. Which I think means I need to work on my kicking speed probably. At least for breast
    Tried the Carla today. This is a great drill for teaching undulation. I think I have plenty of undulation from all the breast dolphin I do, but not as much forward propulsion. Back to improving the kick ...