View RSS Feed

After a long rest

Week 34 - Monday

Rate this Entry
Woke up before the alarm was scheduled to go off this morning. I was pretty tired, but got up and headed to the pool 5 mins earlier than usual. The senior racer group coach was already at the pool so I got in few minutes earlier than normal. I had a great workout and felt strong throughout.Warm up400 free with snorkel8x50 drill alternating catchup and finger tip drag drill on 50Main set8x200 pull descend 1-4, 5-8 on 2.30100 easy8x100 kick with fins on 1.308x50 alternating drill, build on 1 min10x50 on 45 holding 33 paceWarm down200 easyTotal 4400 metersToday was one of those days where everything felt good and strong. I went 2.15,2.13,2.11,2.09, 2.16,2.13,2.11,2.08 on the descending 200 pulls and felt strong. In fact on the last 200 I ran into some traffic and think I could have gone quicker. The 100 kicks we were told to do them on 1.40 but I felt good so dropped the time on these, and held about 1.10 pace with fins. The build 50s I was around 33-34, and the final 50s I held consistent 33s.

Submit "Week 34 - Monday" to Digg Submit "Week 34 - Monday" to del.icio.us Submit "Week 34 - Monday" to StumbleUpon Submit "Week 34 - Monday" to Google

Updated May 20th, 2013 at 10:02 PM by StewartACarroll

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

BTW, nice job at nationals. You did great.

You seem to do a lot of pull sets, why is that?
    Thanks Wookie. I was very pleased with how I swam and think(and hope) I have a lot more improvement over the next year since I am only now getting my cardio back after being out of the water for so long.

I do quite a lot of pulling, although I would be surprised if its as much as my straight up swimming. I like pull sets for a number of reasons, first I think when done right it isolates the lats and triceps which for a distance swimmer are the main pulling muscles. I also like pull with paddles because cardiovascularly I am able to push myself for longer. If you look at my stroke I dont have a high turnover and rely on a good catch and strong pull. I also find with paddles you know if your stroke is off because the paddles tend to clip the water and will even come off. The downside to isolated pulling is that my kick is not as strong as it should be. This is something I plan on working on this next year.
    I like doing pulling w/ paddles sets as well. They are my "weights", well, aside from some of my daily work stuff at work I use the TYR Catalyst (medium sized) paddles, and love to rock and roll with them. Pulling without paddles, I actually stink. I'm really a kick driven swimmer, which is sort of different for a distancey type guy...though not so much anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I like doing pulling w/ paddles sets as well. They are my "weights", well, aside from some of my daily work stuff at work I use the TYR Catalyst (medium sized) paddles, and love to rock and roll with them. Pulling without paddles, I actually stink. I'm really a kick driven swimmer, which is sort of different for a distancey type guy...though not so much anymore.
    I really need to work on my kick. Your six beat kick is awesome. I am envious.

I don't know the make of my hand paddles but one of the guys in my lane a few weeks ago described them as the size of tennis rackets(which made me smile).
    I haven't used or wanted to use paddles in years. Lately, I have been using the finis agility paddles a few times a week, mainly on non-intense days. They aren't much bigger than my hands, don't have straps, give me very positive feedback.
    I got Karen to commit so I just need to keep her committed to go to the meet on July 6. Got any tips about making it through 2 a day practices? I think you are officially my swimming mentor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ndauksavage
    I got Karen to commit so I just need to keep her committed to go to the meet on July 6. Got any tips about making it through 2 a day practices? I think you are officially my swimming mentor.
    Nikki thats awesome about Karen.

I dont have any real advice on two a days other than to stay positive and try to have fun, which is easier said than done. You may have to backoff on intensity for a few weeks to get used to the two a days. It took me a few weeks to get used to the training. I am jealous you are able to do the two a days. I made a promise to DeAnna that i wont do the two a days until the kids are back at school in the fall. I think long term the break will help but right now i feel good in the water and want to ramp backup again.

Did Tom talk to you about Saturday mornings starting this week at 7am?
    Yes he did and I'm going to wait and see how I feel. Right now I'm sore but not like I was expecting. I'm trying to get in as much training as possible before nursing school. I have no idea what it will be like but I know my first semester is 17 semester hours. Plus I don't have kids which makes things easier. I would love to go a 27 in my 50 free which would be a lifetime best for me and Tom says he thinks I can.