3x300 FR on 2:00 min rest w/fins as:
3x100 on :10 rest *1:13, 1:14, 1:14
1x300, *3:46
3x100 on :10 rest, *1:12, 1:14, 1:13

Warm Down
200 EZ BK/FR
Dryland bands

Comments
I have been struggling in my workouts from the last week of April. During the last two weeks I felt when swimming I had aged 10 years as my training times were getting slower, my arms and legs aching, and perceived effort was distorted. In swimming FR, 100s at 1:16 effort were 1:19/1:20, 200s at 2:32 effort were 2:44, etc. Then just last week I did a 800 TT in 11:10, far off the 10:42 in early April. I just seem to be regressing getting slower and slower. I did have an on/off stomach virus that kept me out of the water several days. My annual checkup with my doctor is in June so I certainly have my list of items to discuss. For now, I will continue making my best effort along with participating in the Pan Pacific Championships in June.

I felt better in the water today than the last two weeks and was actually able to swim more than 4000 meters. Swimming FR as steady/fast seems to help me from getting lost and falling apart, with being able to recover with steady swimming after a harder effort. But still on the fast 300 and 400 it was an effort to keep my stroke strong in the last half when my arms start aching again.

When warming down after set 2, I saw my friend Jose warming up in the far lane. We found two lane side by side and I finished his warm up with him, and then we did set 3 together. Now I have to put on the fins to stay with him and do the times I was doing up to about four weeks ago. Even then, it was challenging and fun to swim it together.

Submit "Monday, May 20, 2013" to Digg Submit "Monday, May 20, 2013" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, May 20, 2013" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, May 20, 2013" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Have you had a recovery week in awhile? This is a lot of volume. If you're this tired, I would start tapering soon.

Good you have a doc check coming soon.
    Updated May 20th, 2013 at 06:00 PM by The Fortress
    Frank,

Remind me what you're entering at the Sarasota meet? This is a LOT of long stuff to be doing and a lot of overall volume for pretty much any pool race. If you were training for a 5K right now, this would be a fine workout, but I suspect you need to switch to a more quality-centric focus for the next ~2 weeks before tapering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Frank,

Remind me what you're entering at the Sarasota meet? This is a LOT of long stuff to be doing and a lot of overall volume for pretty much any pool race. If you were training for a 5K right now, this would be a fine workout, but I suspect you need to switch to a more quality-centric focus for the next ~2 weeks before tapering.
    800 M Free and 3K OW Swim. Last week I did repeat 350s with a target pace of 4:40 but my best was 4:55. Todays workout was more for the 3k, going forward will be the more quality centric focus as best I can do. I am planning to take as much rest as needed towards swimming at the target pace.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Have you had a recovery week in awhile? This is a lot of volume. If you're this tired, I would start tapering soon.

Good you have a doc check coming soon.
    Today was my best day in a two weeks. All last week I did not swim more than 2,000 to 3,000 M for any workout. It was not tiredness, but more my arms and legs had no stamina or strength. I would feel ok warming up, or swimming slow, but when swimming fast to faster my arms would ache and legs would feel like rubber. I would try to swim the workout, but would just get out eventually because I was so cold.

Although the water was the same temp today, I did not feel so cold. Going forward, with moderate volume workouts, I now hope I have the physical capacity to get in some rested quality race specific pace swims to regain some confidence.
    Sometimes the bug knocks us off our rhythm and takes weeks for us to recover even though our instinct says "swim". You have a massive volume of swimming, enough work in one day for me to make three or four hard workouts.

Good thing your physical is soon to check all systems.
    Updated May 20th, 2013 at 09:17 PM by __steve__
    Quote Originally Posted by fdtotten
    800 M Free and 3K OW Swim. Last week I did repeat 350s with a target pace of 4:40 but my best was 4:55. Todays workout was more for the 3k, going forward will be the more quality centric focus as best I can do. I am planning to take as much rest as needed towards swimming at the target pace.
    OK. I still think you can cut back the volume and focus on more quality stuff. For the 800, you can be doing pace 100s or pace 200s max. For the 3K, I think your idea of pace 350s to maybe 500s makes sense.

I hope you start feeling better.

Any idea what the water temperature will be for the OW event?