View RSS Feed

Fast Food Makes for Fast Swimming!

Friday, May 24, 2013 5:00-7:00pm Countdown till LCM is over

Rate this Entry
Let the countdown begin...
First Long Course Meters practice is now in the books, and it'll be done sometime around mid-August when the city pool closes its doors for the season. The pool isn't "officially" open to the public until after school ends in a few weeks, but the USA-S team is the only ones with access to it right now. We are hosting a meet there next weekend after all!

First 10/15 minutes or so spent getting the LCM frickin' lanelines into the pool. Luckily we don't have to take them in and out daily until the pool is needed for public swims and lessons.

Warmup:

800 Free
(800/800)

200 Flutter Kick (50 Back/50 Side/50 Other Side/50 Back)
200 Dolphin Kick (same as above)
200 Breast Kick (1 Pull - Kick as many times as possible, then repeat)
(600/1400)

16 x 50 IM Order - 4 each stroke, Desc. 1-4 @ LIFO
  • we have no pace clock currently at the pool, so things are either LIFO or :15 rest, etc for now

(800/2200)

3 x 400 Free Pull @ :20ish seconds rest, Desc. 1-3 (whatever...it's just survival swim for me)
(1200/3400)

10 x 50 Fly @ :45/1:00 rest
  • SDK underwater as far as possible
  • Breakout, take 5 strokes Fly
  • Dive back underwater, SDK as far as possible again
  • Breakout, 5 more strokes
  • Then SDK to the wall
  • That was the goal at least...I made it to almost the flags at the far end before I had to give up

(500/3900)
Interesting set...my kicking is decent, but I just can't go that far very fast for long

6 x 100 SDK w/ long fins @ :15 rest GO FAST
(600/4500)

Cooldown with Sharks n Minnows in the deep tank. It was a special request, and granted. We haven't really played that all year long, and it was great!

~4600 LCMeters

Submit "Friday, May 24, 2013 5:00-7:00pm Countdown till LCM is over" to Digg Submit "Friday, May 24, 2013 5:00-7:00pm Countdown till LCM is over" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, May 24, 2013 5:00-7:00pm Countdown till LCM is over" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, May 24, 2013 5:00-7:00pm Countdown till LCM is over" to Google

Comments

I swear that first practice feels like the pool is 55m instead of 50m. A few practices and all,starts to feel good.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I swear that first practice feels like the pool is 55m instead of 50m. A few practices and all,starts to feel good.
    ...so says the long course distance swimmer and/or open water swimmer.

I can do it, it's just that my body type and my swimming style is more suited to SCY or SCM vs. the longer bodies of water. I may swim the longer events well, but they're much much better when I can have my turns every 25. Back in college, my college coach did pull me out of the distance lane one day to come over and TEACH the 50/100 sprinter guys how to do fast flipturns w/ pushoffs. That is really where I can gain on people in a race. Now if only I could add Fort's SDK's to my turns as well!
    Well if we could combine your turns and kick and my long body type we would make a pretty lethal combo. As it is, my turns suck and my kick is poor.

After finally getting used to the longer pool I am actually enjoying long course swimming. I just wish I had not made the promise to my wife to back off evening practices over the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by StewartACarroll
    I swear that first practice feels like the pool is 550m instead of 50m. A few practices and all,starts to feel good.
    fix'd

It sucks that you have to fight through the first week or two to finally get used to it. I took the liberty during this time that I couldn't train much to do most of my work LCM if possible...told the club swimmers what I lacked in endurance missing their practices, I would make up in avoiding the "long course hangover" they are experiencing right now.