View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Will we be OW ice skating by July?

Rate this Entry
Today I swam 2 miles out at Brighton Beach with some CIBBOWS friends. The water continues to get colder instead of warmerótoday Cara measured it at 52, down 2-3 degrees from last week. Strange, but I'm not complaining--I think this extended cold water season is pretty nice.

It was a beautiful day to be at the beach, sunny, calm, and with air temps nearing 80. The water was clear and green and refreshing, and I enjoyed the familiar swim down past the Coney Island attractions and back. The water temperature seemed very mottled, with distinct patches of warm and cold.

We had a big group out today, nearly 30 people. Otherwise, the beach wasnít too crowded, and very few other people were out in the water. I didnít see any sea life today, but a few patches smelled distinctly fishy. There were some nice swells and even some whitecaps pushing me along for the last half-mile or so, which was odd because it didnít seem too windy out today.

I enjoyed warming up on the beach and chatting with friends old and new before heading back into the city. I really love the sensation of getting chilled through, then feeling the sun and sand warm me up from the outside in. Summer finally feels like itís here, with our big group back for weekend swims, and various races approaching. My first OW swim of the season (a 5k) is next weekend in the Hudson, and many of the people out at the beach today are either swimming MIMS in a couple of weeks or involved in supporting it (Iíll be a boat observer for that). The season is here!

I got a cool cookbook last week that looks like it might be useful for open-water feeds. Called ďFeed Zone Portables: A Cookbook of On-the-Go Food for Athletes,Ē itís full of little snacks that look tasty and suitable for eating while exercising (as the title suggests). Itís written with an eye towards cycling nutrition, but with the right containers many of the recipes could be adapted for in-water feeds. I almost want to sign up for a swim long enough to involve feeds again so that I can try things like the blueberry and chocolate coconut rice cakes, or tiny potato and leek frittatas (made in muffin cups). For this summer those will have to just be meet treats or boat snacks, but Iíll be keeping them in mind if I ever plan another long swim.

Submit "Will we be OW ice skating by July?" to Digg Submit "Will we be OW ice skating by July?" to del.icio.us Submit "Will we be OW ice skating by July?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Will we be OW ice skating by July?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I took a quick look at that cookbook when I was at the public library not long ago, but I think I'll have to check it out and take a fuller look.
    That book looks really interesting! I've added it and the similar one to my Amazon wishlist.

The ocean is still quite cold here. Most days it's not over 50 yet. The ponds/lakes are barely in the mid-50s as well. This time last year, we were in the ocean.

Some friends and I are coming down for the 2 Bridges Swim. We will see you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekw
    I took a quick look at that cookbook when I was at the public library not long ago, but I think I'll have to check it out and take a fuller look.
    Im not sure how useful it will be to everyday life--but it's certainly very beautifully photographed, and fun to flip through (and that's st least half the point of cookbooks, no?) And, if you end up doing StS next year, you'll have more than plenty of ideas for fun feeds--and will be the envy of all the other swimmers there!
    Quote Originally Posted by slknight
    That book looks really interesting! I've added it and the similar one to my Amazon wishlist.

The ocean is still quite cold here. Most days it's not over 50 yet. The ponds/lakes are barely in the mid-50s as well. This time last year, we were in the ocean.

Some friends and I are coming down for the 2 Bridges Swim. We will see you there.
    Woohoo! I'm glad I'll get to see you Saturday. Hope we can manage a tornado-free experience for you this time around!

I think the Hudson is already warming up nicely.
    If there is another tornado, I'm fairly certain I'll be banned from any future OW swims. When I went to Bermuda last October, they had to shorten the 10K to a 5K because of a hurricane. I seem to have a storm cloud that follows me...
    Quote Originally Posted by slknight
    If there is another tornado, I'm fairly certain I'll be banned from any future OW swims. When I went to Bermuda last October, they had to shorten the 10K to a 5K because of a hurricane. I seem to have a storm cloud that follows me...
    Ha! Now I'll know who to blame any bad weather on!
    Bring the friends, but leave the storms behind, please.