View RSS Feed

Alex's swim journal

3000 in sun-burn relief

Rate this Entry
I thought I had about a four-hour window yesterday between rain storms. I took the day off to get some landscaping done at the house... my wife is having some friends over for an end-of-year/graduation celebration on Saturday, but the weather didn't look that great for the rest of the week so I thought I would take advantage. Sure enough, the sun came out almost as soon as I stepped into the yard. And it was muggy from all the rain, so I was working up a sweat right away... I decided to go shirtless for a little while. Then I lost track of time. And, seriously, it's been cloudy and cold all spring long... sun burn was the last thing on my mind. My thought process was more like: Why am I digging up and replanting this whole bed again? Why does this lawn have to be so time consuming? Don't I have better things to do? We should sell the house and move to a condo...

Three and a half hours later I was stiff, sore, dehydrated, and... burned to a crisp, mostly my back. I noticed as I got into the shower, thinking "oh, this one is going to hurt." after a few minutes it felt like I could scramble eggs on my back... was I glowing? ...I wondered. And, despite all the forecasts... no rain. I could have done all the work in the cool of the late afternoon/evening, rather than in the one 3-hour period all spring long when we've had temps in the 80s, with maximum UV exposure. Oh the irony... cruel irony.

Didn't get my swim in until late last night, in the last hour before the Y closed. The water felt good on my burned back. The swimming didn't feel that great. I was still pretty tired and very stiff from the hoe and shovel action on top of yesterday's 5000. Here's what I did:

3000 SCY/63 minutes:

Warm-up:
200 EZ fr
200 pull
4 x 100 on 1:45 (1:29-1:33)
200 IM, EZ

MS:
20 x 50 on 1:00-1:15
-swam this as quick sets of four: 4 fr, 4 br pull, 4 br, 4 1-arm fly, 4 fr.

Cool-down:
200 IM on 4:00 (3:30ish)
4 x 100 IM on 2:00 (all around 1:45)
400 EZ fr

Submit "3000 in sun-burn relief" to Digg Submit "3000 in sun-burn relief" to del.icio.us Submit "3000 in sun-burn relief" to StumbleUpon Submit "3000 in sun-burn relief" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments